Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And we’re paying Cody Ford, Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano to protect Josh Allen.  Doesn’t mean that paying them was a good decision.  It just happened to be their decision. 

Eager to know how much you would be ok paying Edmunds per year and guaranteed if he plays similarly to how he played last season?  What’s he worth to you?

No more than Milano...

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

No more than Milano...

and there’s zero chance of him accepting that.  I think 15M is probably his floor and there’s very little chance he even takes little.  I could see an idiotic team paying him 17M+ based purely on his arm length and athleticism.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. I’d rather they just let him walk altogether and use that money for an interior offensive lineman, pass rusher, CB, or another offensive playmaker…. But McD seems to love him so I wouldn’t be surprised if they resign him even if it is a slight overpay…. The allocation of money and draft picks seems to be heavily defensive sided(outside of Josh’s contract). Would really like to seen them invest more offensively.

I think they’re likely set for pass rushers if Epenesa and Groot keep balling unless Hughes and Addison are both gone after the season. CB or a 1-tech I could see if the talent falls right. I’m hoping they go hard at fixing guard this off-season. They need a talent influx on the inside. 

We’ve heard people discuss Edmund’s specific role many times.

Shouldn’t a player playing that specific role have 4-5 picks per season and a bunch of forced fumbles in the seams? I would think that role would make more of those plays than other LB’s.

Does he high a good amount of pass breakups?

I’ve seen at least 3 easy interceptions bounce right off his chest.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds definitely does some good things IN THIS SYSTEM.......that's why he's a top 10-12 type MLB in the NFL.

He's a lot like Tyrod Taylor at QB though...........Tyrod was elite at not turning the football over........before he got benched in 2016 he was about to QB a team to the fewest turnovers ever in a SB era season.    And like Edmunds he made a Pro Bowl,  deservedly,  in a year where only 2 of the top 8 QB's were in the AFC.

The thing was.........we all knew Taylor wasn't actually a great QB and that he left a ton of plays on the field.    You couldn't justify paying him top of the market, which was $30M per year.   But $15M on a bridge deal wasn't out of the question because he had lead some good offensive teams.    

The issue with Edmunds is that he's not going to be signed for half of what Darius Leonard signed for.    He probably doesn't even deserve Joe Schobert money, to be honest.   And most people on here have no idea who that is.   

This is really the most objective, contextually-salient take I've read on Edmunds's value beyond his 5th year option, IMHO. The analogy with Taylor is sound with respect to cap allocations and relative value.

(Side note: Taylor scares me if he's healthy next week. More than facing Edmunds ever would.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Governor said:

We’ve heard people discuss Edmund’s specific role many times.

Shouldn’t a player playing that specific role have 4-5 picks per season and a bunch of forced fumbles in the seams? I would think that role would make more of those plays than other LB’s.

Does he high a good amount of pass breakups?

I’ve seen at least 3 easy interceptions bounce right off his chest.

he’s currently a deterrent due to his length.  We put him out there and hope that the opposing qb doesn’t throw his way because he’s so big and long.  The qb could throw it right into his hands, everyone in the stadium knows he’s unlikely to catch it.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, NewEra said:

I remember it.  MnF vs SF. I don’t say he hasn’t made any big play.  Only that he’s made one……and I can’t remember any others.  The thing I remember most about the 4th and 1 stop on mnf……..being so happy that Edmunds made a play like that.  Not to mention shocked.  

I like the kid…..but let’s be real, based on everything we’ve seen from him, he’s not worth more than 11M a year…..if he’s even worth that.  Even his biggest supporters would agree that he’s not worth 13M per and he’s gtd to make more than that on the open market.  If he doesn’t improve, we should look for a new option……an option that won’t be extremely overpaid 

He is Worth what the market says he is worth That’s it

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He is Worth what the market says he is worth That’s it

that’s what he’ll get paid.  And then he’ll be labeled as one of the most overpaid players in the league.  It’s inevitable unless he improves drastically.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

that’s what he’ll get paid.  And then he’ll be labeled as one of the most overpaid players in the league.  It’s inevitable unless he improves drastically.  

Nonsense. He'll get paid what he deserves, perhaps a bit more if he goes elsewhere. After that you just don't know. And he doesn't have to improves drastically. He's already damn good. He does need to get better - McDermott would argue that's true of every Bill, and I agree - but as long as he improves significantly, which is far from unlikely in his fourth year and in a defense that's kicking ass around him.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense. He'll get paid what he deserves, perhaps a bit more if he goes elsewhere. After that you just don't know. And he doesn't have to improves drastically. He's already damn good. He does need to get better - McDermott would argue that's true of every Bill, and I agree - but as long as he improves significantly, which is far from unlikely in his fourth year and in a defense that's kicking ass around him.

If that’s the case, than there has never been an overpaid player in the NFL.  Some contracts are bad and end up with the player being drastically overpaid……if he doesn’t improve, IN MY OPINION, his next contract will be a thorn in his teams side.  Why?  Because his next contract will undoubtedly pay him more than 14M per year…..and 14M per year is an overlay based on what he does on the field.

Soooooo @Thurman#1, how much do YOU think he’s worth per year and guaranteed based on his career so far?

On 9/25/2021 at 1:45 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds definitely does some good things IN THIS SYSTEM.......that's why he's a top 10-12 type MLB in the NFL.

He's a lot like Tyrod Taylor at QB though...........Tyrod was elite at not turning the football over........before he got benched in 2016 he was about to QB a team to the fewest turnovers ever in a SB era season.    And like Edmunds he made a Pro Bowl,  deservedly,  in a year where only 2 of the top 8 QB's were in the AFC.

The thing was.........we all knew Taylor wasn't actually a great QB and that he left a ton of plays on the field.    You couldn't justify paying him top of the market, which was $30M per year.   But $15M on a bridge deal wasn't out of the question because he had lead some good offensive teams.    

The issue with Edmunds is that he's not going to be signed for half of what Darius Leonard signed for.    He probably doesn't even deserve Joe Schobert money, to be honest.   And most people on here have no idea who that is.   

Yup, he is indeed a top 10 - 12 MLB in the NFL. He very easily clears that bar.

He's also a top 6 or 7 ILB in the NFL for nearly every pundit out there who's weighed in. Which is why he has made the Pro Bowl there two years in a row. 

You're right that his fit in this system does indeed make him a better player. Same with just about any player, of course, but it's certainly true. Look at how pedestrian Ray Lewis was the years in the middle of his career when they didn't have a great nose tackle in front of him. Then they drafted Ngata and all of a sudden he was all-world again. But again, yes, his fit here is indeed part of why Buffalo chose him and why he's so valuable to them.

And as for not getting half what Leonard signed for, that is utterly laughable. Of course he will, barring injury. Leonard is getting $19.7M per year. Care to bet Edmunds doesn't get $9.85M per year in his next contract? Loser sends a certified check/money order for $100 to the Patricia Allen Fund at Oishei Hospital, through one of the mods who volunteers to verify the transaction? Schobert makes more than that, at $10.75M/year and barring injury Edmunds will make far more than that as well.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, he is indeed a top 10 - 12 MLB in the NFL. He very easily clears that bar.

He's also a top 6 or 7 ILB in the NFL for nearly every pundit out there who's weighed in. Which is why he has made the Pro Bowl there two years in a row. 

You're right that his fit in this system does indeed make him a better player. Same with just about any player, of course, but it's certainly true. Look at how pedestrian Ray Lewis was the years in the middle of his career when they didn't have a great nose tackle in front of him. Then they drafted Ngata and all of a sudden he was all-world again. But again, yes, his fit here is indeed part of why Buffalo chose him and why he's so valuable to them.

And as for not getting half what Leonard signed for, that is utterly laughable. Of course he will, barring injury. Leonard is getting $19.7M per year. Care to bet Edmunds doesn't get $9.85M per year in his next contract? Loser sends a certified check/money order for $100 to the Patricia Allen Fund at Oishei Hospital, through one of the mods who volunteers to verify the transaction? Schobert makes more than that, at $10.75M/year and barring injury Edmunds will make far more than that as well.

He said he’s NOT going to be signed for 1/2 of what Leonard makes…..that’s the problem with his extension. He’s just saying that the problem with Edmunds next contract is that he’ll be overpaid…..and if he were paid 1/2 of Leonard’s contract (which is closer to what he actually deserves), than we wouldn’t have much problem with it or him.  The problem is paying a guy that is worth 8-12M a year, 16m+ a year.  

so,  @Thurman#1 how much would YOU pay Edmunds if the decision was yours?  To overpay or not to overpay.  That, is the question 

Edited by NewEra

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If that’s the case, than there has never been an overpaid player in the NFL.  Some contracts are bad and end up with the player being drastically overpaid……if he doesn’t improve, IN MY OPINION, his next contract will be a thorn in his teams side.  Why?  Because his next contract will undoubtedly pay him more than 14M per year…..and 14M per year is an overlay based on what he does on the field.

Soooooo @Thurman#1, how much do YOU think he’s worth per year and guaranteed based on his career so far?

Well, I'm no expert. But clearly the Bills GM thinks he's worth $12.716M totally guaranteed for next year, in a year when they do not have a lot of money lying around. I'm guessing somewhere between $13M and $15M. Maybe a hometown discount, maybe he goes elsewhere and gets quite a bit more. Spotrac has him at $14.0M after seeing 3 years of him. Seems a reasonable guess so far. And in 2023 they have a ton of money available so far. 

Again, except for the first half of the year last year when he was injured, this has been a consistently very good to excellent defense he has been calling the signals for and playing in the middle of.

And no, that's not an overpay based on what he does on the field. If they didn't think he was worth the $12.7M, they wouldn't have paid him. The pitchfork crowd here doesn't think he's worth it. The Bills do. So does nearly everyone else around the league. It was widely accepted that the Bills would be nuts not to pick up the option, everywhere but among a few nutsy Bills fans.

It's early in the season to judge anything, but he's playing well and the defense as a whole is dominant. He's a part of that. We'll have to see what happens this year, but if results are as positive as they've been so far, I'd expect to see the Bills do their best to bring him back

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, I'm no expert. But clearly the Bills GM thinks he's worth $12.716M totally guaranteed for next year, in a year when they do not have a lot of money lying around. I'm guessing somewhere between $13M and $15M. Maybe a hometown discount, maybe he goes elsewhere and gets more. 

Again, except for the first half of the year last year when he was injured, this has been a consistently very good to excellent defense he has been calling the signals for and playing in the middle of.

And no, that's not an overpay based on what he does on the field. If they didn't think he was worth the $12.7M, they wouldn't have paid him. The pitchfork crowd here doesn't think he's worth it. The Bills do. So does nearly everyone else around the league. It was widely accepted that the Bills would be nuts not to pick up the option, everywhere but among a few nutsy Bills fans.

What that says to me:  @Thurman#1 believes that no player has ever been overpaid, because the team that signed said player wouldn’t have signed him if he wasn’t worth it.  Every player that has ever signed a contract was signed by a team that thought he was worth it.  By your philosophy……there’s never been an overpaid player.  Interesting take

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He said he’s NOT going to be signed for 1/2 of what Leonard makes…..that’s the problem with his extension. He’s just saying that the problem with Edmunds next contract is that he’ll be overpaid…..and if he were paid 1/2 of Leonard’s contract (which is closer to what he actually deserves), than we wouldn’t have much problem with it or him.  The problem is paying a guy that is worth 8-12M a year, 16m+ a year.  

so,  @Thurman#1 how much would YOU pay Edmunds if the decision was yours?  To overpay or not to overpay.  That, is the question 

Ah, thanks for pointing that out to me, I misread what he said. 'Preciate it.

So in that case it's only the part about not being worth what Schobert gets that was so completely nuts about that post.

I do get that you and he seriously think that. But again, you are among very very few, and the Bills don't agree, nor do the pundits, nor does anybody but the few folks on here who have picked this guy as a scapegoat from early on because they don't like his style of play.

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What that says to me:  @Thurman#1 believes that no player has ever been overpaid, because the team that signed said player wouldn’t have signed him if he wasn’t worth it.  Every player that has ever signed a contract was signed by a team that thought he was worth it.  By your philosophy……there’s never been an overpaid player.  Interesting take

Um, yeah, I guess we can indeed say that that is what my post says to you. I find it hard to imagine anyone taking what I said to mean that nobody has ever been overpaid. But you have a history of what I consider to be pretty wacky takes and this appears to be another one. So, fair enough, this is indeed what it says to you.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Ah, thanks for pointing that out to me, I misread what he said. 'Preciate it.

So in that case it's only the part about not being worth what Schobert gets that was so completely nuts about that post.

I do get that you and he seriously think that. But again, you are among very very few, and the Bills don't agree, nor do the pundits, nor does anybody but the few folks on here who have picked this guy as a scapegoat from early on because they don't like his style of play.

Um, yeah, I guess we can indeed say that that is what my post says to you. I find it hard to imagine anyone taking what I said to mean that nobody has ever been overpaid. But you have a history of what I consider to be pretty wacky takes and this appears to be another one. So, fair enough, this is indeed what it says to you.

No…:;we aren’t part of the very very few?  Lots of people…..most people….,on this site are worried about us overpaying him. You are too, but you won’t admit it. If he’s as good as you say he is, he’s going to make over 16M a year based on current contract trends.  That’s an overpay by your very admission.  

whats wacky about my take?  It’s literally exactly what you said. You love to write 5 paragraph rebuttals explaining everything in detail, so please, enlighten me.  Explain to me how my take on what you said is “wacky”.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.