McDermott, Josh/Beasley and Poyer/Hyde postgame pressers

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Omg… the wind again.  I honestly can’t handle home game wind talk again this year.  Not yet at least. 

Haha I mean I'm sure it effects their analytics on a 50+ yard fg...going for a fg and missing is just as bad as throwing it into double coverage on 4th and 8 because you think you have a free play 🤣 it's just so easy for us to criticize with the power of hindsight...If they kicked the fg and missed we'd all be saying they should've gone for it lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

It's not rocket science.

Look up the numbers.  

Allen vs the Blitz is awesome....I think he was at 70% in 2020 

Vs zone not as good but he doesn't see zone as much.  Teams can't often bring consistent pressure with just 4.  So they blitz and Allen made teams pay last year.  

But if you can get home quick with 4 or even 3 like Pittsburgh did or the Chiefs before them, Josh and most every single QB is going to struggle - and the Steelers secondary is excellent.

The only front 4 (especially the interior) we'll see like that is Washington and Tampa.  And both those secondaries are not as good or even close to as good as Pittsburgh.  

• Like (+1) 4

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to McDermott, Josh/Beasley and Poyer/Hyde postgame pressers
1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

It's not rocket science.

Look up the numbers.  

Vs zone not as good but he doesn't see zone as much.  Teams can't often bring consistent pressure with just 4.  So they blitz and Allen made teams pay last year.  

But if you can get home quick with 4 or even 3 like Pittsburgh did or the Chiefs before them, Josh and most every single QB is going to struggle - and the Steelers secondary is excellent.

The only front 4 (especially the interior) we'll see like that is Washington and Tampa.  And both those secondaries are not as good or even close to as good as Pittsburgh.  

I think daboll is the punching bag because of the horrible 4th down call.  Offense was sloppy all game...the plays were there...the scheme was working fine. I've probably said this 14 times in this thread because I've lost track of what threads I'm respond to 🤣 but the chiefs defensive 'performance' in the afc championship anz the game earlier in the year was nonsense.  No idea why the refs were fine with it that week and not having it in the super bowl but reverse those two officiating crews and maybe we win a shootout.  Probably not cuz our defense was dreadful but you never know 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

It's not rocket science.

Look up the numbers.  

Is their secondary excellent?  

I know we’re all wanting to crown their defense as elite, but coming into the game they were missing Tuitt, Ingram was old and they were starting a bunch of randoms in the secondary outside Haden/Fitzpatrick.  

They definitely looked elite, but I need to see them do this again before I chalk it up to them just having the best defense in the league. 

Im assuming other teams will at least attempt to be more balanced and/or protect their QB better than five matadors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It's not rocket science.

Look up the numbers.  

I agree with all what you said but Pittsburgh doesn't really have a good secondary.

They got Haden who is descent. Fitzpatrick is excellent.

Outside of that, they are pretty thin.

The bills WRs had a lot of favourable matchups on paper

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I know we’re all wanting to crown their defense as elite, but coming into the game they were missing Tuitt, Ingram was old and they were starting a bunch of randoms in the secondary outside Haden/Fitzpatrick.  

They definitely looked elite, but I need to see them do this again before I chalk it up to them just having the best defense in the league. 

Im assuming other teams will at least attempt to be more balanced and/or protect their QB better than five matadors. 

Yes it absolutely is they were #1 against the pass last year.  

Its the scheme, it's the pressure that makes a great secondary even better.   

This game was almost a near carbon copy vs them last year minus our oline completely collapsing -- and they had Haden back today.  He didn't play in last years game.  

So I'm flushing this and moving on.  

The good news is I think our defense is significantly better.  

3 minutes ago, 716er said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2000/opp.htm

In what metric? They were not in the top 5.

Sort passing yards against per game 

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?lg=NFL&yr=2020&type=reg&cat=T&group=D&conf=&sort=passypg

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The one that’s most interesting IMO is McDermott

So you got me to listen to

McDermott’s. 
My takeaway was he basically just took the blame for daboll the way he worded his answers not to throw him under the bus. But I feel like he’s holding daboll responsible for this mess today. Am I the only one to hear it that way? They asked his input on some of those play calls and he dodged it by just saying it’s on him (mcd) to fix it. 

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yes it absolutely is they were #1 against the pass last year.  

Its the scheme, it's the pressure that makes a great secondary even better.   

This game was almost a near carbon copy vs them last year minus our oline completely collapsing -- and they had Haden back today.  He didn't play in last years game.  

So I'm flushing this and moving on.  

The good news is I think our defense is significantly better.  

they lost two big contributors from their secondary in Nelson and Hilton.  They are not elite back there yet.  Lets see what other teams do. 

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

McDermott’s. 
My takeaway was he basically just took the blame for daboll the way he worded his answers not to throw him under the bus. But I feel like he’s holding daboll responsible for this mess today. Am I the only one to hear it that way? They asked his input on some of those play calls and he dodged it by just saying it’s on him (mcd) to fix it. 

I interpret the same way. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

^^^^^^/thread. 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

McDermott’s. 

I didn’t get that impression entirely.  Yes it sounds like he wasn’t completely happy with the playcalling but he also knows he probably f’ed up on a few 4th down calls as himself.

I got the impression he was pissed and embarrassed at how badly the O-line played.  I don’t think he’s thrilled with that group either 

• Like (+1) 1