First time EVER playing Fantasy... I pick 1st in our draft tomorrow

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the points over replacement point as well though. Kind of easier to find consistent production in the 2nd tier of QBs. Especially as against backs. The way the the league is going now the pool of viable running backs thins out pretty fast because so few teams are run heavy with a clear #1 bellcow.

I have always been a QB later guy though so I am probably not the guy to ask. 

This makes sense, yes, for the top RBs. But you’re also looking at points over replacement vs RBs who are just behind the top guys — so draft order is important there, too.   I guess I’d go WR even over a bellcow, except maybe one who can also catch passes or isn’t on a bad team that has to throw a lot late in games. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

In my league, passing TDs are 4 points while rushing and receiving TDs are 6 points.

Considering the 30+ passing TDs we expect/hope Allen gets this season and the 5+ rushing TDs... why is he a bad pick at #1 exactly?

You are thinking about it all wrong.  

Allen is a fantastic fantasy football QB no doubt, but its a terrible pick because he will be there later.  Would you take a RB slated to go in the 2nd or 3rd round in the real NFL draft number 1 overall?  Nope, and you shouldn't make the same mistake in fantasy football either.  

And the difference between the top 5 quarterbacks is fantasy is not that big.  In a 10 team league, only 10 QB's start each week.  Where as you need multiple RB's and WR's and the premium RB's especially go mostly in the first 2 rounds.  If you take Allen first, you are going to have a weak stable of RB's and WR's overall...and that alone will kill your team.

And if Allen doesn't make it to you with your second round pick, someone like Murray will be there who will put up comparable fantasy production anyway.  But the RB's you get if you skip them in the first round will most likely not put up comparable fantasy production to the guy who passed up at number 1 overall.

Fantasy is just a game of math.  You need to create as many point advantages at each position and reduce point disadvantages at others as much as possible.  Allen may end up being the top QB in fantasy, but his margin over next few may not be that big to justify the disadvantage in weekly points you are taking over the rest of your roster.  And those weeks Allen doesn't have big weeks you are much more likely to lose because the lack of balance you sacrifice in your roster taking a QB first.  

Its simple really...if you want to be a fan playing fantasy, take Allen.  If you want to increase your odds of winning fantasy football, taking any QB number 1 overall (or more importantly, over drafting your favorite players in general) is not a sound strategy, and will more often than not make your season more challenging.  Nothing wrong with either approach, some people just want to play with their favorite players, and thats great if thats your reason.  But I don't like losing, let alone losing money, so my approach is try and field the best team to win the league.  

PS:  As good as Allen is, don't bank on another 8 rushing TD's.  I think its plausible now that he is both too valuable and our run game should be improved to risk Allen running as much as they have in the past.  So for me, I think his passing production increases and his rushing production and rushing TD's reduces.

FWIW... I picked Allen and Diggs with my first 2 picks...

and Devin Singletary in the 4th round...

and in the very late rounds I got Dawson Knox, Zach Moss and Gabriel Davis as my bench...

along with former Bill Ryan Fitzpatrick...

and Tyler Bass is my Kicker...

:flirt:

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

and in the very late rounds I got Dawson Knox, Zach Moss and Gabriel Davis as my bench...

Not going to lie, this team is going to be very bad. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I hope you're joking

I took allen at 11 overall because the impact backs and WRs were gone.  He was clearly the best available and IDGAF what the experts say, a QB that drops 45 TDs is worth more than a RB who scores 15 in most scoring systems.  Once you are out of the top 5 QBs the drop off is big in terms of scoring.  With Maholmes off the board and 7Rbs gone, and Adams and Diggs off the board, I’m ok with taking the best available. I still wound up with a pretty stacked roster, not loving my RBs, but there wasn’t much left.

I want able to get Allen or Diggs. I’m not gonna lie I’m pretty disappointed. 

Normally I never draft Bills because up until last year no one has really had fantasy relevancy, with the exception of Fred Jackson. However, we finally have some fantasy studs and I miss out on those guys. 

Had my first draft yesterday…12-team PPR, QB passing TDs worth 6, QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/2 Flex/1 Superflex/D/K.  Basically the Superflex position makes it a 2 QB league.  Picking 10th, snake draft.  One keeper; mine was Jefferson who I picked up as a FA last year.  He counted as my 10th round pick!

QBs went fast and furious, with Mahomes, Josh, and Lamont going in the 1st round.  I grabbed Dak with my 2nd pick.  Overall my draft was mediocre (6th out of 12 on a ranking site) but I do think I got a bit of a steal with Beasley in the 13th round.

2nd (and final) draft tomorrow night.  10-teams, also PPR, QB TDs worth 4.

I picked 5th and I took Allen in the 3rd rd. Mahomes even went in the 3rd rd, you are at a huge disadvantage if you take a QB with your 1st pick

If your only playing in a 50 to 100$ league do whatever u want. If you are playing in a 500$ with 10$ transactions and 40$ for trades don’t take a QB in the 1st rd

So I just lost my very first fantasy match-up ever by 0.58 points in our Yahoo fantasy league.

It came down to the Ravens defense for me tonight vs Justin Tucker for him.

Fantasy interests made that game more interesting... not that it wasn't.

If only Allen didn't lay an absolute egg...

If only I didn't drop Deebo Samuel for Jarvis Landry because I saw Curtis Samuel was injured and out and stupidly got the 2 mixed up...

Oh well...

Onto the next match-up.

How the heck does this fantasy stuff work once you lose, anyway?

6 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Like NFL. Determined by record.

Make sure you put in your waiver claims for next week

I've been trying to reclaim Deebo but it's not allowing me, yet.

Also, my backup QB was Fitz... so I'll likely have to replace him.

Oh yeah... and the other thing that killed me was my 2 starting RBs were Singletary and Raheem Mostert... and of course Mostert gets injured early.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've been trying to reclaim Deebo but it's not allowing me, yet.

Also, my backup QB was Fitz... so I'll likely have to replace him.

Oh yeah... and the other thing that killed me was my 2 starting RBs were Singletary and Raheem Mostert... and of course Mostert gets injured early.

RBs are tough. You'll have to target Mitchell for the 49ers after you get Samuel back