Jerry Jones - thinks Bills unique .. should not leave Buffalo

CorkScrewHill

29 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Here you go.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bills/2021/08/24/roger-goodell-sides-buffalo-bills-need-build-new-stadium/8254138002/

I agree.  As I said, I think it will get done, but people should not get complacent or fool themselves over what is at stake.  

Yeah we all read that.  Can you point to the part where Goodell said (“as much”) “either build a new stadium or find someone who will”?

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I'm guessing he would've been okay with them moving to Toronto a few years ago, in order to get more out of the team's revenue-sharing. Now, he's got a financial stake in the new stadium and he knows the Pegulas have strong ties to WNY, so he's content to scoop up the money from the stadium deal and still look like the good guy who roots for the underdog city.

I will show my ignorance… can someone please explain to me why building a $1.5 Billion stadium in Buffalo will equate to more money for Jerry, the other ownersq and the NFL? Other than the suites which will bring in some extra revenue… where is the revenue stream coming from? Less seats, driving up the individual ticket prices, is chump change for what the NFL brings in from TV, merchandise, etc.. what do they get out of the $1 billion+ behemoth? 

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think Jerry is sincere here because he recognizes that at it's core NFL football is the most successful TV program in history.  And while Buffalo isn't the lead character or the hot sex pot on the show they are one of the more interesting supporting characters.   The Bills are the Pauly Walnuts to the Sopranos or the Festus to Gunsmoke.  The NFL TV show would be less interesting if the Bills weren't in Buffalo.  It was the same deal with Cleveland.

Love the Sopranos reference, ya know Bills Mafia and all 😂

Bills are a storied small market franchise similar to teams like the Browns, Steelers, Packers, etc. You can't tell the story of the NFL/AFL without them. There's something charming about the Bills. I know I would root for them even if I wasn't born into it. I'm not a fan of any team relocating even if it's a division rival. 

9 hours ago, FLFan said:

What Jones said was that he would prefer the team was able to stay in Buffalo, so he hopes they can work it out.  If PSE and the State/County cannot put a new stadium deal in place you can rest assured that he will be at the head of the line in demanding the Bills move.  The fact is that the other NFL owners are tired of being short changed by the Buffalo Bills with respect to contribution to shared league revenues.  This was made clear to the Pegulas from the very beginning and widely reported at the time.  It is either build a new stadium, or find someone who will.  Goodel has also said as much in recent comments.  

I personally think this will work out but nothing is ever assured when politics are involved.  

He owns a company that will profit if the Bills stay in Buffalo and get a new stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah we all read that.  Can you point to the part where Goodell said (“as much”) “either build a new stadium or find someone who will”?

The third paragraph quotes Goodel and it is clearly a threat.  It is about as direct as he can be at this point but I think most, certainly the government officials and business people understand what he is saying.  He said very much the same thing at the time of the sale and every other time the issue comes up.  A new stadium is necessary in order for the Bills to remain viable long term in Buffalo.  That is “as much” to me.  Sorry if you disagree.   I am really not looking for an argument, just expressing my opinion, so you can save the snarky replies.  

A brand new stadium with 50% public funding is fine with me.  The NFL is the only thing that puts Buffalo on the world map.  Without it, Buffalo is Toledo.   My only quibble would be, for the state/County to pony up a bit more to place a retractable roof on that thing.  At least be able to use the facility year round.  Spend the extra now, reap the benefits for 20 years.  

Edited by zow2

He either doesn't want the Bills in Austin or doesn't want to be sued for them moving (like the Rams).  Whatever his ulterior motives, I'm glad he's on our side in this matter.

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

A brand new stadium with 50% public funding is fine with me.  The NFL is the only thing that puts Buffalo on the world map.  Without it, Buffalo is Toledo.   My only quibble would be, for the state/County to pony up a bit more to place a retractable roof on that thing.  At least be able to use the facility year round.  Spend the extra now, reap the benefits for 20 years.  

A retractable roof would be $400M more.  A fixed roof like what the Vikings did would be fine and half the cost.

But apparently the Buffalo Bills fans get last word on that one.

23 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's going to be more than 50%, but less than the lousy deals cut by Indy and Cincinnati.  It will, however, be for more public money than in either of those places.  

At this point, my guess is that the main sticking points will be term (state will want 30 years) and, obviously, dollars.  I suspect that, ultimately, we're going to be in a tug of war between percentages and dollars.  Kathy will want a lower percentage than, say, Pittsburgh (63%, IIRC), and the Bills will want more dollars than Pittsburgh, Cinci, Indy, etc.  Maybe that's part of the reason why the price tag looks so high right now.  The guess here is that the state/county get hit for $800m to (more likely) $900m (63% of 1.4b is $882m), and away we go.  

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

The third paragraph quotes Goodel and it is clearly a threat.  It is about as direct as he can be at this point but I think most, certainly the government officials and business people understand what he is saying.  He said very much the same thing at the time of the sale and every other time the issue comes up.  A new stadium is necessary in order for the Bills to remain viable long term in Buffalo.  That is “as much” to me.  Sorry if you disagree.   I am really not looking for an argument, just expressing my opinion, so you can save the snarky replies.  

Goodell has no power to move a team, or to prevent a team from being moved.  His bosses do.

And on that note: so far, only PSE has brought up the possibility of moving the team.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Goodell has no power to move a team, or to prevent a team from being moved.  His bosses do.

And on that note: so far, only PSE has brought up the possibility of moving the team.

But they’re not gonna move. It’s a negotiation threat nothing more or less. A deal will get done and the Bills are going to remain home in Buffalo. And the spokesperson said they aren’t even thinking about relocation and that the want to get the deal done. 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But they’re not gonna move. It’s a negotiation threat nothing more or less. A deal will get done and the Bills are going to remain home in Buffalo. And the spokesperson said they aren’t even thinking about relocation and that the want to get the deal done. 

So it's an empty threat, you just said as much.  

This is what Wilkinson said:

"They would like to build it right there [in Orchard Park], and we need to hear back. You can’t really do plans and designs on things until you have a deal, and right now the City of Buffalo and the State are going to have to decide if they want a team."

10 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

This is very real and close. Every Bills fan should be concerned and worried this will happen. 

Please put pressure on your local government to fund a new stadium that is the only option, 50%

No  I’m not worried cause I think everyone on this board knows that the Bills aren’t going anywhere. I understand what’s at stake but im confident that the Buffalo Bills will remain the Buffalo Bills

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ponch said:

I will show my ignorance… can someone please explain to me why building a $1.5 Billion stadium in Buffalo will equate to more money for Jerry, the other ownersq and the NFL? Other than the suites which will bring in some extra revenue… where is the revenue stream coming from? Less seats, driving up the individual ticket prices, is chump change for what the NFL brings in from TV, merchandise, etc.. what do they get out of the $1 billion+ behemoth? 

When new stadiums are put in prices go up on seats and opposing teams get percentage of non-club seat revenue so the amount shared with league goes up.

20 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Was in favor of Rams move … his rationale was strong imho .. though since he is Jerry there is an ulterior motive perhaps. Good to know we have a no vote for any possible move 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/04/jerry-jones-wants-the-bills-to-stay-in-buffalo/

jones translation:  I want them out of Buffalo…now.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

The fact that this was covered just proves there’s some truth; where there smoke. He’s quietly shopping. Pegs knows this is the only chance he will have to move the team, (if that’s his goal). Regardless, not a good situation for Buffalo. This has the same feel as the chargers deal…the state and county needs to make the right decision here or bridges will be permanently burnt.  As tax payers this is where we want our money spent. 

Dude I think you’ve been watching too much X files and you need to lay off the conspiracy theories. If Pegula wanted to move the Bills then he wouldn’t have bothered to propose a new stadium to be built in OP and keep the team in Buffalo. The Sabres aren’t for sale, that’s Terry’s favorite team growing up and it was his dream to own them. He’s not selling the Sabres. You need to relax and take a chill pill

• Thank you (+1) 1