Suggested member rank icons

SDS

14 hours ago, SDS said:

A recent upgrade changed the member ranking system (the rockets you see). Each level supports its own icon. What do you suggest for the different levels?

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 4.05.19 PM.png

@BLO_RIO what the Hell is the matter with you, putting a vomit face on SDS’s OP? 

Never wonder why you can’t post without approval.

(go ahead, put a vomit face on this post)

14 hours ago, CuseBill said:

This is truly the age of "we hand out 11th place ribbons and everyone gets a participation trophy".  We all know who the true all-stars and HOF'ers are on this site.  Do we really need an icon to tell us who they are? 

Yes ;)

11 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

Are we sure post count is the metric to be used for levels?  Seems a reward for the people with most time on their hands?

In fact do people really care about level?  Seems silly to me

But if you really are doing this again, then give posters of useful, interesting things or breaking news awards.  Not junk posts, goofy comments, or rewarding those who comment on every post, sometimes repeatedly, to boost up a post count.

Hey I resemble that remark ;)

14 hours ago, SDS said:

66A1EC13-D807-4F37-A2E8-BDC76C3C5DF1.jpeg

You can go shirtless at a snow game but you should never go shoeless ;)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I take it you are on a laptop with a mouse? I’m on an iPad and I get no such thing without clicking and going looking. As I said, whatever is fine, but we were asked for our thoughts, so there you go. 

I have an android tablet and I can just hold my finger on the rocket image until a pop-up comes up, the rank number is at the top. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me, the rank is about engagement. I came to this board for years before I actually registered and began posting and while I truly enjoyed reading the posts and seeing the vibrant dialogue between passionate fans, I don't believe I added any value to the board because I didn't post a single contributing statement to the subjects discussed. 

So, if the "rank" is about board engagement with those willing to put their thoughts and opinions on the board for others to dispute, agree, debate or endorse, then to me the idea of a "rank" symbol should be something relative to both football and contribution to Two Bills Drive on the whole. To that end, I would suggest the following:

Probation: Simply a Bills helmet

UDFA: Van Miller Image

Practice Squad: The 12th Man (Writing or Image)

Rookie: Ralph Wilson (Old Black and White Photo)

RFA: Steve Tasker Photo

Veteran: Cookie Gilchrist Photo

All-Pro: Marv Levy Photo

HOF: Jim Kelly HOF Induction Photo

The theme, with the exception of the Bills helmet is that each of these guys are on the Stadium Wall as Wall of Famers and each hold a special place for the fans, which is what this message board is about. Just a thought for consideration.

Regardless, thanks to SDS for soliciting feedback and the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way. Go Bills!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The theme, with the exception of the Bills helmet is that each of these guys are on the Stadium Wall as Wall of Famers and each hold a special place for the fans, which is what this message board is about. Just a thought for consideration.

In theory, your theme of using relevant Bills people thru history is definitely an interesting idea, but in practical application the problem is the size available for those photos.  The icon when used the way it is now is only 37 x 37 pixels.  That's really too small for photos to be easily recognized.  The imagery kinda blobs together because there are so few pixels available.  At a larger size it might work, but at the current size, photos just don't hold up well.

Going to bump the image I posted last night with my take on how to handle the icons.  It's not as emotionally compelling as Big Buff's idea or some other earlier ideas, but it is practical for the size.  Maybe it's too simple and boring, but it's just an idea.

TBD-Rank-Icons-Draft-1.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be honest, it strains credulity to care. Why is this a big deal? Why does anyone care who posts and how many times? If you’ve ever visited the site, you know Yolo is the King. So be it. 

There are certain people whom post here and I absolutely appreciate their thoughts. Others, I have to think about. Lastly, there are those (I’m sure, like many think of me) that can be discarded out of hand. 

At any rate, what does a logo have to do with it? Listen (read) and if you agree, concur. If not, let it go or offer an opposing viewpoint.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

To be honest, it strains credulity to care. Why is this a big deal? Why does anyone care who posts and how many times? If you’ve ever visited the site, you know Yolo is the King. So be it. 

There are certain people whom post here and I absolutely appreciate their thoughts. Others, I have to think about. Lastly, there are those (I’m sure, like many think of me) that can be discarded out of hand. 

At any rate, what does a logo have to do with it? Listen (read) and if you agree, concur. If not, let it go or offer an opposing viewpoint.

I mean, you say “why is this a big deal?” But is it? It’s gone 5 pages, it’s not exactly Ertz level stuff. 

Icons aren’t my kind of thing either, but if some people like it and they get a kick out of it why do you care? You say you don’t, but you obviously do on some level. 

Have you always been a big reaction guy? Just taking a dip into your profile you’ve given out thousands and thousands of reactions. I bet you didn’t always fashion yourself a reaction giver. That had to start at some point. Maybe you’ll grow to like your logo. Idk, seems like a weird thing to have an issue with. 

I can say I don’t care, and I truly don't, makes zero difference to me. Give me a logo, don’t give me a logo. No bigs.  You say you dont care, but you really seem to.

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I mean, you say “why is this a big deal?” But is it? It’s gone 5 pages, it’s not exactly Ertz level stuff. 

Icons aren’t my kind of thing either, but if some people like it and they get a kick out of it why do you care? You say you don’t, but you obviously do on some level. 

Have you always been a big reaction guy? Just taking a dip into your profile you’ve given out thousands and thousands of reactions. I bet you didn’t always fashion yourself a reaction giver. That had to start at some point. Maybe you’ll grow to like your logo. Idk, seems like a weird thing to have an issue with. 

I can say I don’t care, and I truly don't, makes zero difference to me. Give me a logo, don’t give me a logo. No bigs.  You say you dont care, but you really seem to.

Good Lord. God help you. 

18 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Good Lord. God help you. 

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable response. Surprised you didn’t give me a reaction. 

God help me? 2,600 posts, with well over an astounding 10k reactions, but god forbid someone might like a small icon next to their avatar. Mr. Reaction over here! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This sounds like a speech one of the characters gave on the pilot episode of the Sarah Silverman Show 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yeah, that seems like a reasonable response. Surprised you didn’t give me a reaction. 

God help me? 2,600 posts, with well over an astounding 10k reactions, but god forbid someone might like a small icon next to their avatar. Mr. Reaction over here! 

My reactions are in lieu of responding…if it’s already been said then why say it again? Stunningly naive and obtuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This sounds like a speech one of the characters gave on the pilot episode of the Sarah Silverman Show 🤣

Did they also find Trout’s post to reaction ratio outrageous? 

9 hours ago, TroutDog said:

My reactions are in lieu of responding…if it’s already been said then why say it again? Stunningly naive and obtuse. 

Ahh… yes, it’s obtuse to find your own creative angle to express your opinion when you can just blanketly agree with one of your post mates with the push of a button. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself to me. Though I would’ve thought you’d be above such things. Do you think if we go the way of the logo you might consider a name change to TroutReaction or ReactionDog? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, TroutDog said:

To be honest, it strains credulity to care

A lot to unpack right here.  “To be honest” — one of the most telling phrases in our language.  It’s either simple laziness or a suggestion that the speaker feels a need to alert his audience that he’s not full of b.s. THIS time (which is typically untrue).

What REALLY “strains credulity” is that you took the time to come into a thread about a topic you “honestly” don’t care about to demean those who do have an opinion — not to say the board creator and administrator himself!

Well done, you.

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 2