TE Hollister Released

RyanC883

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't want to get into a dick-measuring contest (see what I did? heh)

But I think it's plausible, given Josh develops as we all hope and becomes a star in the league for a long time, that at some point he will start to chafe and want more influence, especially if the team around him has talent gaps as the years go on.

Don't worry, @Gugny wants no part of that:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's because the remaining TE's are duds so far.  

Exactly, it’s not so much about Hollister as it is for the TE position as a whole!  The weakest position group on the team just got weaker for the sake of keeping two 3rd string QBs on the practice squad.  Got rid of a role player for two players who won’t even dress!  That’s the issue!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But I think it's plausible, given Josh develops as we all hope and becomes a star in the league for a long time, that at some point he will start to chafe and want more influence, especially if the team around him has talent gaps as the years go on.

Anybody being paid that much can have influence by offering to take a pay cut to get changes/people QB want.

He can even contribute toward stadium - Bills stadium reacting roof named after John Allen's Nuts and Melons.

Whenever you are making that high percentage of cap you need to make up for gaps.

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Exactly, it’s not so much about Hollister as it is for the TE position as a whole!  The weakest position group on the team just got weaker for the sake of keeping two 3rd string QBs on the practice squad.  Got rid of a role player for two players who won’t even dress!  That’s the issue!

Exactly.  He outplayed every TE currently on the roster during the preseason.  But we kept Knox, who drops room service passes, Sweeney, who can't stay healthy, and Gilliam, a FB.  Then we sign Quintin Morris to the PS (please tell me how he outplayed Hollister, please), and a Key & Peele All-Star who makes Sweeney look like the picture of health. 

What made it worse was the glut of posts saying "Oh, this is just a roster move to get someone on IR, then Hollister will be signed after the PS.  They made a gentlemen's agreement."  Some agreement.  There will come a time this season that we are hurting for a good TE.  Quintin Morris better be it, because everyone else is suspect.    

Edited by Freddie's Dead

I’d really love to see all of Tommy Sweeney reps in practice since he’s been on the Bills.   He really must be doing something right for

him to make the team as the 2nd and last TE.  He’s flashed some solid play but he needs to stay healthy.  

4 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You normally make sense, but I'm not following you here.

How does keeping two QBs on the practice squad affect our ability to keep Hollister?

He wasn't going to sign to the Bills practice squad if he could sign to a 53 man roster somewhere else and see playing time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You normally make sense, but I'm not following you here.

How does keeping two QBs on the practice squad affect our ability to keep Hollister?

He wasn't going to sign to the Bills practice squad if he could sign to a 53 man roster somewhere else and see playing time.

This exactly - The way Beane talked him at the press conference and the things Beane said on WGR about the cut process - I strongly believe the Bills like Hollister and wanted to put him on the PS, but in discussion with the player and the agent decided he was probably good enough for someone else’s 53 and as a sign of respect - they agreed to cut him early and let him pursue that.

I am pretty sure that is where the comment came from by Beane that we are not closing the door and if a spot opens he would be welcomed back.  

I think most of us (me included) thought that he would be a quick re-sign to the practice squad, but I think that is part of what makes this a good front office - I think they worked with the player and let him go after a 53 and had a backup plan to bring in another player as needed.