St. Louis Rams Relocation Legal Article - Could Impact the Bills

The legal maneuvering occurring in St. Louis may have an impact on the Bills in regards to a new stadium/relocation.

An interesting read. Mods, I did a quick search and did not find anything, but perhaps a merge into the stadium thread may be applicable.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-buffalo-are-you-listening-nfl-lawyers-just-made-perfect-argument-for-relocation-threatened-cities/article_19aa84ef-d068-531d-8a40-2b4012b68328.html?fbclid=IwAR1dV88DtUr9KTH9cV1ikoreWnkk4IP0r0oEUIQ0DsRepGXybuFsePT6keo

• Haha (+1) 1

Interesting. I ran across this opinion piece last night and thought about starting a thread, but it seems appropriate here. He talks about stadium financing around the 4:00 mark:

• Like (+1) 3

Kronke was never going to keep the Rams in St. Louis. They weren’t competitive and it never got better for them. Kronke wanted to move the team to LA and it didn’t matter what the city was willing to pony up for renovations or new stadium, Kronke wanted out and got out. The Pegulas on the other hand have strong ties to Buffalo and Terry bought the team to make sure we stayed in Buffalo. I’ve said before a deal will get done it’s probably gonna take some time. These things don’t just happen overnight

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6

The Chargers and the Rams eventually will pay $645 million each for the privilege of moving to L.A. The owners who will be receiving that money decided on Wednesday to give the franchises an extra year to begin making installment payments.

I trust Kathy will do her best to get state funding for a new stadium.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Interesting. I ran across this opinion piece last night and thought about starting a thread, but it seems appropriate here. He talks about stadium financing around the 4:00 mark:

That dude knew what he is talking about. The NFL loves the Bills in Buffalo. Virtually no chance they are moving. The NFL wasn’t going to allow it last time either. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I’m not panicking anytime soon but how do you know this as a fact?

I’m not assuming anything until they start digging for a new stadium. 

Because Terry would either have to give up or move the Sabres as well. Infact it would cost him more money to relocate both than just staying put and building the new stadium in OP. Erie county officials and politicians are going to work with Pegula and met him Monday and it was reported they made progress during the meeting on building the new stadium. Plus most of these politicians and officials like a Buffalo native in Hochoul will be up for re election. Billion dollars says the will make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo in order to be re elected in their current positions. This is politics 101 right here. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Don't like/trust our Commissioner.  Once you introduce the lawyer component.....Bad things!!  How many chances does St Louis get??

Kronke’s plan from the get go was move them back to LA. He was never going to stay in St Louis and the fans knew it. There was nothing the city could do to prevent him from leaving. Also Kronke doesn’t own a Hockey team from the same town like Pegula does. 

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

The legal maneuvering occurring in St. Louis may have an impact on the Bills in regards to a new stadium/relocation.

An interesting read. Mods, I did a quick search and did not find anything, but perhaps a merge into the stadium thread may be applicable.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/benfred-buffalo-are-you-listening-nfl-lawyers-just-made-perfect-argument-for-relocation-threatened-cities/article_19aa84ef-d068-531d-8a40-2b4012b68328.html?fbclid=IwAR1dV88DtUr9KTH9cV1ikoreWnkk4IP0r0oEUIQ0DsRepGXybuFsePT6keo

They are still referring to article posted from Albany which has been shown to have several errors and removed.  This is just a spin article from sports writer unhappy about Rams who choose to include things supporting his position and ignoring things which do not.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Because Terry would either have to give up or move the Sabres as well. Infact it would cost him more money to relocate both than just staying put and building the new stadium in OP. Erie county officials and politicians are going to work with Pegula and met him Monday and it was reported they made progress during the meeting on building the new stadium. Plus most of these politicians and officials like a Buffalo native in Hochoul will be up for re election. Billion dollars says the will make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo in order to be re elected in their current positions. This is politics 101 right here. 

Why would have to give up the Sabres?

Unless I missed something, a ban on cross ownership of different sports teams in different cities was scrapped by the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/nfl-finally-ditches-cross-ownership-policy/

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

0% chance we’re getting moved

I respect your optimism, but I'd put it at least at 10%.

Regardless of what the Pegulas want or say they want, this is 2021, and the NFL is all about maximizing revenue. Above all else, it's a business. Loyal, diehard fan bases (and media markets larger than Buffalo) like Cleveland and Oakland have lost teams in the past 25 years. Buffalo isn't special or unique.

I think the team will end up sticking around, too, but to say "0% chance they move", in my mind, is overly optimistic and not realistic.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

They are still referring to article posted from Albany which has been shown to have several errors and removed.  This is just a spin article from sports writer unhappy about Rams who choose to include things supporting his position and ignoring things which do not.

Thanks brotha- I am not a legal expert or a journalist that is for sure. Just thought some of the take aways may interest some people. I haven’t started a thread in ions maybe im rusty? Maybe I always sucked? Lol 😂 

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

I respect your optimism, but I'd put it at least at 10%.

Regardless of what the Pegulas want or say they want, this is 2021, and the NFL is all about maximizing revenue. Above all else, it's a business. Loyal, diehard fan bases (and media markets larger than Buffalo) like Cleveland and Oakland have lost teams in the past 25 years. Buffalo isn't special or unique.

I think the team will end up sticking around, too, but to say "0% chance they move", in my mind, is overly optimistic and not realistic.

Go high, meet in the middle- maybe that is the strategy who knows.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

Why would have to give up the Sabres?

Unless I missed something, a ban on cross ownership of different sports teams in different cities was scrapped by the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/17/nfl-finally-ditches-cross-ownership-policy/

A Pegula-owned Sabres team would never see more than a handful of fans in Buffalo again if he moved the Bills. If he were to move the Bills, the Sabres immediately become non-plausible in Buffalo if he were to retain ownership. Also bear in mind that the Sabres are Pegula's favorite team and he is emotionally attached to them. He would have to get rid of both or move the Sabres too. That is not happening.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

A Pegula-owned Sabres team would never see more than a handful of fans in Buffalo again if he moved the Bills. If he were to move the Bills, the Sabres immediately become non-plausible in Buffalo if he were to retain ownership. Also bear in mind that the Sabres are Pegula's favorite team and he is emotionally attached to them. He would have to get rid of both or move the Sabres too. That is not happening.

What makes you think he would not move the Sabres as well?

The Bills and Sabres are no longer a package deal for a city wanting an NFL franchise and/or NHL franchise.

He could easily send the Bills and Sabres in 2 different directions to maximize his returns.

I am not saying Terry will, or wants to, move the teams, but I agree with Logic.

Until a contract is signed, do not assume the Bills are a 100% lock to stay in Buffalo.

Circumstances change between now and 2023 when the current contract expires.

39 minutes ago, Cynical said:

What makes you think he would not move the Sabres as well?

The Bills and Sabres are no longer a package deal for a city wanting an NFL franchise and/or NHL franchise.

He could easily send the Bills and Sabres in 2 different directions to maximize his returns.

I am not saying Terry will, or wants to, move the teams, but I agree with Logic.

Until a contract is signed, do not assume the Bills are a 100% lock to stay in Buffalo.

Circumstances change between now and 2023 when the current contract expires.

They are staying in Buffalo, I understand your perspective but I think most if not all know that the Bills aren’t going anywhere, trust me no politician who’s going to be up for re-election wants the Bills relocation on their watch. A deal will be done, this is politics for dummies right here. NYS and Erie county officials and politicians know this and how important the bills are to Buffalo. Logic or not the Bills aren’t going anywhere, also to

add I believe a contract will get done before 2023, hell it might be sometime this year. They just had a meeting with Pegula which went very well and was advised that the conversation has continued to progress since the meeting 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1