Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

A 3rd or 4th round comp pick next year would be wonderful but I don't see it happening.   Getting a comp pick depends upon the application of a NFL secret formula, which balances the number and quality of free agents moving ONTO and FROM a team.  We are in a poor position there.

The Bills are a top team with a good karma right now.  Free agents like to to go a winning team for a lot of reasons.  They get a chance at the post season and more money.  They get a chance at the post season and bragging rights for life.  They get a better resume with this on their record.  They look better to teams for future moves because they are surrounded by better players.  They have a better idea how they will fit into a stable team situation.

So the Bills can get a lot of quality free agents to come to Buffalo and have a lot of quality players and starters wanting to stay with the team. (Just look at how many potential FA's resigned with Buffalo on one year deals!)  We pick up more FA than we lose.  We have to release a lot of quality players as they get pushed out- but released players are not part of that draft pick compensation game.

Another factor is from the "waiver wire" pickups, during they year and during the roster cut-down events.  We are way at the bottom of that list, so any gem that other teams have to unload, get picked over by 29 other teams.  (after the first 3 games in 2022, it is by current W/L record).  We are unlikely to be able to use this method very well for that reason- so there is more going to happen from picking up top notch FA's.

It would be nice, but I don't think we should count on getting anything from losing Trubisky as a valuable FA next year.

Correct on the secret formula.  But next year's FA period hasn't even happened yet.  It's possible that if MT gets a big deal and moves on, Beane plays the comp pick game to get a 3rd. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

Trubisky’s value to the Bills this season will be greater than anything we’ll get back in a trade. Especially if Allen isnt vaccinated. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

When was the last time it happened?  And the biggest problem for a contending team is they'll be close to the cap and his cap hit will be too big to absorb mid-season. 

Mid season it be like 12 million… very easy to manipulate the cap space for that.  

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Qb record isn't a real Stat though.  He's also 24-8, not 38-12.  He's never had a particularly impressive statistical year, and the offense was at its most effective when they ran the ball.  

Not according to every stat site I could find. They say 38-12, but that’s moot. He also has a HC who tries put a square peg into a round hole, a good coach calls a game to his teams and QBs strengths.Yes I think Shanahan is a meh coach.  (I mean he was responsible for two of the largest collapses in the SB history)

19 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Mid season it be like 12 million… very easy to manipulate the cap space for that.  

Not according to every stat site I could find. They say 38-12, but that’s moot. He also has a HC who tries put a square peg into a round hole, a good coach calls a game to his teams and QBs strengths.Yes I think Shanahan is a meh coach.  (I mean he was responsible for two of the largest collapses in the SB history)

Um … 24-8 is staring you in the face here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GaroJi00.htm

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

No. Because if he signs next year a starter you're getting a 3rd or 4th as a comp pick anyway 

You do not automatically get a pick.  It depends on number and quality of free agents you sign.

He may have a no trade clause anyways considering purpose of signing and small amount he signed for.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:25 PM, cle23 said:

Trubisky would sign the franchise tag so fast and Buffalo would be screwed. Paying top 5 money for 2 QBs? And who would trade for him at that pay?

That’s what I’m saying. The trouble is, there isn’t a contract we can sign him for that will work for both. He will obviously like a chance to be a number 1, but we can’t pay any more than back up money. He’s pretty much as good as gone. 

9 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yeah, doubtful at best.  $1.25M is far more doable… ;)

Edited by Doc

It's a PA heavy offense that limits the qb exposure.  And he hasn't played enough games to be 38-12. In a year where the cap went down 12 mil is a lot. And no ones trading for him next year when he probably gets released

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

A SB QB v a QB that was a Bust in Chicago? Hmmm let me see which one would be easier to sell to the fan base… hmmm lol

Kinda like saying I'd rather have Trent Dilfer since he "won" a SuperBowl?  Garoppolo is a a heavily flawed QB and would not do well without a running game and top defense.

A SB QB v a QB that was a Bust in Chicago? Hmmm let me see which one would be easier to sell to the fan base… hmmm lol

And yet the 49’ers are/have been trying to get rid of the “SB QB”…hmmm lol 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Because he is the best QB2 in the league, adding he will be a starter again after Bills. Also because he would be best chance to help win some of those games while QB1 is out.

You really think Trubisky is the best backup in the league? After 1 preseason? He was a below average starter who has had a good preseason.  I think he'd have trouble breaking a top 10 of backups in the league.

Edited by cle23
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

You really think Trubisky is the best backup in the league? After 1 preseason? He was a below average starter who has had a good preseason.  I think he'd have trouble breaking a top 10 of backups in the league.

Ryan Fitzpatrick win/loss.  67 wins, 97 losses as a starter

Mitch Trubisky. 29 wins, 22 losses

What makes you think a winning QB as a starter is a below average backup? The one preseason game showed the Bears organization the mistake they just made IMO. Same mistake the Dolphins made and now the Titans have what some might consider a franchise QB. Ever think the coaching/system might make the difference between success and failure as a QB?

From one season to the next high round draft choices may backup another signal caller as they adjust and develop into the system/NFL. So saying Trubisky is the best backup in the NFL at this point in time also remains to be seen IMO. Myself personally, Daboll can turn Trubisky into a franchise QB like he was meant to be when the Bears drafted him IMO. Time will tell...

(On a side note I hope the Pegulas can find a way to keep Brian Daboll happy here in Buffalo)

Edited by Figster
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

Yes I do. And has nothing to do with preseason. Although he did look good. I'm not in any way basing my opinion off that. He's an experienced QB that was a starter until now and could still be a starter on some teams. 

Regarding the bold, name those 10 back up QBs that you think is better.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yes I do. And has nothing to do with preseason. Although he did look good. I'm not in any way basing my opinion off that. He's an experienced QB that was a starter until now and could still be a starter on some teams. 

Regarding the bold, name those 10 back up QBs that you think is better.

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Mac Jones and Jordan Love are unproven, so it's hard to say, but 95% of teams would take them over Trubisky. 

Trubisky is a decent QB, but he's not good either. Judy an average guy,  which is OK as a backup. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Mac Jones and Jordan Love are unproven, so it's hard to say, but 95% of teams would take them over Trubisky. 

Trubisky is a decent QB, but he's not good either. Judy an average guy,  which is OK as a backup. 

LOL!  All of them are worse except for Lance who, like Fields, Jones and Love, are unproven. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Trey Lance

Minshew

Mariota 

Keenum

Lock would be close 

Fields/Dalton

Brissett

Ok, so you named rookies that are unknowns. Rest of the list in no way I would take over Mitch right now as a QB2. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL!  All of them are worse except for Lance who, like Fields, Jones and Love, are unproven. 

See, I disagree. Most of them have played better when given the chance than Trubisky.  Maybe Trubisky turned a corner in Buffalo, but that's hard to say after a couple preseason games. 

And yes, the rookies are unproven, but most them also played pretty well this preseason. 

The veterans have proven to be good players. Keenum led the Vikings to a 13-3 record in few years ago. Minshew was a good QB on a garbage Jacksonville team. Mariota has been a good starter. Lock may or may not be, he honestly is very similar to Trubisky of showing flashes but never putting it all together. 

Trubisky is a good backup. I just don't feel after 1 preseason you can anoint him the best backup in the league. He may prove me wrong. 

I think people forget that Trubisky has looked good at times over his first few seasons. I remember alot of us comparing Josh to Mitch hoping that he could make that kind of jump in year two. For whatever reason, he never grew anymore after that year 2 jump. Was it coaching, was it the player? Who knows. He looks like an adequate backup(upgrade over Barkley) that will be very useful for us on game days if Josh gets banged up. His value is really high to us, especially at only 2.5mil. Would have to be one hell of an offer to trade him away.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

See, I disagree. Most of them have played better when given the chance than Trubisky.  Maybe Trubisky turned a corner in Buffalo, but that's hard to say after a couple preseason games. 

And yes, the rookies are unproven, but most them also played pretty well this preseason. 

The veterans have proven to be good players. Keenum led the Vikings to a 13-3 record in few years ago. Minshew was a good QB on a garbage Jacksonville team. Mariota has been a good starter. Lock may or may not be, he honestly is very similar to Trubisky of showing flashes but never putting it all together. 

Trubisky is a good backup. I just don't feel after 1 preseason you can anoint him the best backup in the league. He may prove me wrong. 

Disagreement is fine.  But how the rookies fared in pre-season means nothing, especially when they went against backups at best.  As for the rest, outside of Dalton who is done, they have losing records as starters.  That trumps all, not some outlier season one of them might have had.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Disagreement is fine.  But how the rookies fared in pre-season means nothing, especially when they went against backups at best.  As for the rest, outside of Dalton who is done, they have losing records as starters.  That trumps all, not some outlier season one of them might have had.

Yeah dude, I don't know about you, but to me he lost credibility with the "Mariota has been a good starter" comment lol. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Doc said:

So how the rookies fared in preseason means nothing, but how Trubisky fared in preseason is somehow super important?  Trubisky was an average starter at best his whole career, has a good preseason for Buffalo against the same backups at best, and then suddenly is the best backup QB in the league.  He may be, but there are plenty of other guys in the conversation.  

And while record matters, it certainly isn't the only factor.  Minshew was a much better QB on a MUCH worse team.  Chicago while Trubisky was there was always a decent team.  Not world beaters, but they couldn't count on him to carry them at all.  

6 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah dude, I don't know about you, but to me he lost credibility with the "Mariota has been a good starter" comment lol. 

Good was probably the wrong word.  Average.  Decent.  Whatever you want to say.  Just as good as Trubisky was in Chicago.  Not great, not terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, Doc said:

And yet the 49’ers are/have been trying to get rid of the “SB QB”…hmmm lol 

No they haven’t been. They actually pulled Jimmy G back before the draft. The Pats were supposedly close to getting him. That was before they got Jones so now they would have to wait till someone is desperate.

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

So how the rookies fared in preseason means nothing, but how Trubisky fared in preseason is somehow super important?  Trubisky was an average starter at best his whole career, has a good preseason for Buffalo against the same backups at best, and then suddenly is the best backup QB in the league.  He may be, but there are plenty of other guys in the conversation.  

And while record matters, it certainly isn't the only factor.  Minshew was a much better QB on a MUCH worse team.  Chicago while Trubisky was there was always a decent team.  Not world beaters, but they couldn't count on him to carry them at all.  

Trubisky's pre-season meant little...other than confirming what I said when the Bills signed him: he is (now) the best backup QB in the league.  He's got the starting experience the rookies lack.  And even you yourself said he was an "average starter."  And now he's a backup.

As for Minshew, he was a nice story...during pre-season his rookie year.  That was the highlight of his NFL career.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

No they haven’t been. They actually pulled Jimmy G back before the draft. The Pats were supposedly close to getting him. That was before they got Jones so now they would have to wait till someone is desperate.

Why did they pull him back before the draft?  Lack of good offers. 

And the 49'ers didn't draft Lance to be Jimmy G's backup.  They're looking to move on from him and want to have Lance get some time to sit and develop behind him this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Trubisky's pre-season meant little...other than confirming what I said when the Bills signed him: he is (now) the best backup QB in the league.  He's got the starting experience the rookies lack.  And even you yourself said he was an "average starter."  And now he's a backup.

As for Minshew, he was a nice story...during pre-season his rookie year.  That was the highlight of his NFL career.

Why did they pull him back before the draft?  Lack of good offers. 

And the 49'ers didn't draft Lance to be Jimmy G's backup.  They're looking to move on from him and want to have Lance get some time to sit and develop behind him this year.  

Minshew had 37 TDs to 11 INTs on the worst team in football.  Don't try to act like he's some garbage player. Straight up, given the choice, I take Minshew every time. 

If you would have asked anybody on this board last year if you wanted to Trubisky on your roster the answer would have been no.  He isn't suddenly some great quarterback because hes on tge Bills roster.

Edited by cle23

3 hours ago, cle23 said:

Minshew had 37 TDs to 11 INTs on the worst team in football.  Don't try to act like he's some garbage player. Straight up, given the choice, I take Minshew every time. 

If you would have asked anybody on this board last year if you wanted to Trubisky on your roster the answer would have been no.  He isn't suddenly some great quarterback because hes on tge Bills roster.

Congrats to Minshew on his stats.  He was given an audition this season and went 1-8 and is 7-13 overall.  And whether you agree with it or not, that's how QBs are judged.  It will be interesting though to see what he does in Philly.

And if you asked anyone here if they would have wanted Trubisky as the backup to Josh for $2.5M, everyone would have said "hell yes!"  Why you bring up the strawman "he is[n't] suddenly some great quarterback" is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Trubisky is not the best backup in the league.

Foles is better.  Minshew is better. 

Should I go on ?

Foles?  He isn't even the backup on the Bears, his 5th team.  As for Minshew, see above.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Congrats to Minshew on his stats.  He was given an audition this season and went 1-8 and is 7-13 overall.  And whether you agree with it or not, that's how QBs are judged.  It will be interesting though to see what he does in Philly.

And if you asked anyone here if they would have wanted Trubisky as the backup to Josh for $2.5M, everyone would have said "hell yes!"  Why you bring up the strawman "he is[n't] suddenly some great quarterback" is anyone's guess.

Foles?  He isn't even the backup on the Bears, his 5th team.  As for Minshew, see above.

Wins and loses are a factor of the equation,  not the entire thing. You put Trubisky on Jacksonville and they are just as bad or worse. 

And Foles won a SB as a backup, and suddenly Trubisky is better. Give me a break man.  He unseated Trubisky as the starter just last year.

Edited by cle23

9 hours ago, cle23 said:

Wins and loses are a factor of the equation,  not the entire thing. You put Trubisky on Jacksonville and they are just as bad or worse. 

And Foles won a SB as a backup, and suddenly Trubisky is better. Give me a break man.  He unseated Trubisky as the starter just last year.

Wins and losses are a huge factor of the equation.  If I'm looking at 2 QBs and both have good TD:INT ratios, I'll take the guy with the winning (and far far) better record.  Because gaudy stats can be the result of racking them up in garbage time.  And hypotheticals are just that.

Foles is a box of chocolate QB: you never know what you're gonna get.  Sure the Bears benched Trubisky for him, but they put him back in as starter.  Then they went out and drafted a QB and signed a veteran starter, pushing Foles to 3rd on the depth chart.  Nagy will be fired at the end of the year, if not before.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wins and losses are a huge factor of the equation.  If I'm looking at 2 QBs and both have good TD:INT ratios, I'll take the guy with the winning (and far far) better record.  Because gaudy stats can be the result of racking them up in garbage time.  And hypotheticals are just that.

Foles is a box of chocolate QB: you never know what you're gonna get.  Sure the Bears benched Trubisky for him, but they put him back in as starter.  Then they went out and drafted a QB and signed a veteran starter, pushing Foles to 3rd on the depth chart.  Nagy will be fired at the end of the year, if not before.

I lost interest and moved on after the Mariota comment lol

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Wins and losses are a factor, but the entire team is a factor.  You can't look at one team that is  above average, and another that is worst in the league, and say that the quarterback on the better team means he is the better quarterback.  Yes, there are TONS of factors to consider, and wins/losses is one, and TD/INT ratio is one.  Talent of the other players, and supporting cast is a HUGE one.  Trubisky had a far superior supporting cast than say Minshew.  

Also, Trubisky was put back in as the starter over Foles because Foles got injured, not because Trubisky deserved it.  The game that Foles got hurt, they played Tyler Bray, not Trubisky.  Trubisky then started the next week.

Edited by cle23

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Wins and losses are a factor, but the entire team is a factor.  You can't look at one team that is  above average, and another that is worst in the league, and say that the quarterback on the better team means he is the better quarterback.  Yes, there are TONS of factors to consider, and wins/losses is one, and TD/INT ratio is one.  Talent of the other players, and supporting cast is a HUGE one.  Trubisky had a far superior supporting cast than say Minshew.  

Also, Trubisky was put back in as the starter over Foles because Foles got injured, not because Trubisky deserved it.  The game that Foles got hurt, they played Tyler Bray, not Trubisky.  Trubisky then started the next week.

Hey just to throw it out there, Cam is available now for a back up QB. So going by your opinions so far about this I would bet you also think Cam is a better back up QB than Mitch also right?

14 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Hey just to throw it out there, Cam is available now for a back up QB. So going by your opinions so far about this I would bet you also think Cam is a better back up QB than Mitch also right?

Honestly, I don't know.  Cam looks like him arm is shot, so it's hard to say.  He used to be able to run a lot, and he can some, but not like he could when he entered the league.  Also, Trubisky is a lot younger, so he COULD improve, while Cam probably won't.  So younger Cam, for sure, but Cam not, probably not.

You guys seems to think I am saying Trubisky is hot garbage.  I'm not.  I honestly think he is an average QB at best, and one who won't lead you anywhere good if forced to play much.  But that's probably the case with most backups, hence them being backups.

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Honestly, I don't know.  Cam looks like him arm is shot, so it's hard to say.  He used to be able to run a lot, and he can some, but not like he could when he entered the league.  Also, Trubisky is a lot younger, so he COULD improve, while Cam probably won't.  So younger Cam, for sure, but Cam not, probably not.

You guys seems to think I am saying Trubisky is hot garbage.  I'm not.  I honestly think he is an average QB at best, and one who won't lead you anywhere good if forced to play much.  But that's probably the case with most backups, hence them being backups.

Nobody is saying he would take a team to SB or anything, far as I know. I'm saying if it's 4-5 games without your starter, imo he's the best QB2 as of right now that can give you the best chance to win those games.

You have to remember, he didn't the best surroundings all that much with the Bears either

29 minutes ago, cle23 said:

But you can say that having a better TD:INT ratio but a terrible W-L record means he is better?  Again QB is the most important position in football.  A good one will make his supporting cast better. 

Foles was 3-5 as a starter  or playing more than 50% of the snaps with the Bears.  Trubisky was 5-3.  And he was injured/inactive for that game in which Foles got hurt, hence playing Bray.  Again, Nagy will be fired soon.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

But you can say that having a better TD:INT ratio but a terrible W-L record means he is better?  Again QB is the most important position in football.  A good one will make his supporting cast better. 

Foles was 3-5 as a starter  or playing more than 50% of the snaps with the Bears.  Trubisky was 5-3.  And he was injured/inactive for that game in which Foles got hurt, hence playing Bray.  Again, Nagy will be fired soon.

I didn't say that the touchdown to interception ratio is the only factor. In my last post I said that it was one of many factors. I watched Trubisky and Minshew play several times and to me Minshew is the better player. 

I see tons of people post on this board all the time about how terrible Josh Allen's supporting cast was the 1st year and that was a big reason why he struggled so much. So obviously it is a big factor in your play and your development.

Trubisky to me is a dime a dozen quarterback.  He's got some legs to him and some physical ability but he struggles when asked to process must information.

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

I didn't say that the touchdown to interception ratio is the only factor. In my last post I said that it was one of many factors. I watched Trubisky and Minshew play several times and to me Minshew is the better player. 

I see tons of people post on this board all the time about how terrible Josh Allen's supporting cast was the 1st year and that was a big reason why he struggled so much. So obviously it is a big factor in your play and your development.

Trubisky to me is a dime a dozen quarterback.  He's got some legs to him and some physical ability but he struggles when asked to process must information.

I didn't say you said it was the only factor: I said you said it was the main factor.  I said I'll take the guy with a good TD:INT ratio and winning record as my backup QB to hold down the fort should Josh miss time. 

And I heard the hype about Minshew but likewise was unimpressed whenever I watched him.  Not sure if going to the Eagles is going to help in the "supporting cast" area, but at least he'll get to play with Ertz...