Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

Rigotz

Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

• Yes
    • No

If Tre White misses any games, our starting CBs look like this:

CB1: Levi Wallace

CB2: Dane Jackson

Nickle: Taron Johnson / Siran Neal

Depth: Cam Lewis, Rachad Wildgoose, Nick McCloud, Olalljah Griffin

This is an easy answer for me, but I'm curious if everyone feels the same.

If I'm the Bills, I'm picking up a solid vet CB who hits waivers on final roster cuts.

Edited by Rigotz

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

If I'm the Bills, I'm picking up a solid vet CB who hits waivers on final roster cuts.

Truly solid CBs don't get cut.

With the salary cap as it currently exists everyone has to make compromises with their depth. The Bills have legitimate issues at CB and OL if there are injuries. But the solution isn't going to be on the waiver wire. It's going to be on this coaching staff to get guys that aren't ready in August up to a functional level.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I do, for depth purposes, but what “solid” vet corners are floating around to be signed in august? I don’t really even see one getting cut. Like OL, Corner is one of the thinnest positions in the league. Teams with good ones find a way to keep them. You can never have too many good ones. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Flip Johnson said:

Truly solid CBs don't get cut.

It’s a a valid point.   Maybe a young guy with speed that a team with good DB depth tries to get through to their practice squad.  A player w potential to contribute by mid-season if the Bills have injuries.

the Bills could use more speed in the secondary 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don’t discount the correlation that beefing up our pass rush during the offseason should have to making life easier on our secondary—likely that’s our formula for covering up our depth issues if need be this year. 

Good point. That most certainly could make a difference. I was thinking they may end up needing one due to injuries myself and not about the level of play. Because there will be injuries. Always is with the CB's. Just hope it's not to multiple players at same time and nothing severe. If we happen to be without 2 different CBs starters or not, could get really thin and tricky. Add in the risk of any of them filling in at the time also going down.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don’t discount the correlation that beefing up our pass rush during the offseason should have to making life easier on our secondary—likely that’s our formula for covering up our depth issues if need be this year. 

A decent pass rush will definitely help the secondary out but it won't make up for a weak link at cb. If the Bills are forced to field an easy target at cb they'll be in trouble imo, especially against the top teams. I would hate to see that be the thing that holds them back.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Good point. That most certainly could make a difference. I was thinking they may end up needing one due to injuries myself and not about the level of play. Because there will be injuries. Always is with the CB's. Just hope it's not to multiple players at same time and nothing severe. If we happen to be without 2 different CBs starters or not, could get really thin and tricky. Add in the risk of any of them filling in at the time also going down.

To be honest though, I'm actually not all that concerned. I mean we all know McD and CBs. I know it's been stated many times McD can never have too many CB's, And he's pretty good at finding good ones too.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

A decent pass rush will definitely help the secondary out but it won't make up for a weak link at cb. If the Bills are forced to field an easy target at cb they'll be in trouble imo, especially against the top teams. I would hate to see that be the thing that holds them back.

True but if pass rush improves enough there's a chance that CB won't be such a weak link also. I mean Tre struggled last season at times and lack of pass rush played a part in it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I’m not saying it’s a foolproof plan or anything like that, but legit interior pocket collapsing type of rush could make the difference in a shootout with a certain other good team in the AFC…that would definitely be an upgrade already over what we fielded on D for the AFCCG. Of course I want us to improve our CBs wherever possible, but as has been pointed out upthread, the pickings for anyone solid will be slim, so this is Plan B. 

• Like (+1) 3