Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

Rigotz

Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

• Yes
    • No

I voted no, but if there was something available a cut or a trade - I would be fine.

I just don’t think with what is available you are getting any upgrades.  They have tried veteran CBs each of the last couple of years - guys that fit in and they do not work out.  I don’t want another higher priced former mediocre CB just because he was a name 3-4 years ago.

I would rather play through with these young kids and see where they can take me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don’t discount the correlation that beefing up our pass rush during the offseason should have to making life easier on our secondary—likely that’s our formula for covering up our depth issues if need be this year. 

I am absolutely discounting that theory because pass rush and coverage should help each other.  A team is way better off if both can do that rather than one always having to help the other.  That all said, I don’t think that the Bills fall into that category.  The starters in the secondary are plenty good enough to help a pass rush get home.  The real issue is depth because the Bills have very little in their secondary.  One injury and everything changes so the addition of a solid vet would help a lot in that regard. 

Edited by BarleyNY

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

but what “solid” vet corners are floating around to be signed in august?

Exactly - not like they just grow on trees these days.

50 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Levi Wallace is literally a solid vet corner. 

Agreed.  If he were cut for some reason (which obviously he won't be), he'd have a TON of teams hitting up his agent's phone!

18 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Exactly - not like they just grow on trees these days.

Agreed.  If he were cut for some reason (which obviously he won't be), he'd have a TON of teams hitting up his agent's phone!

DB depth is something that certainly could have been addressed already.  But here’s a few still available: Sherman (baggage), Robey-Coleman, Conley and Boston (S).

Not world beaters, but they’d all be cheap, except Sherman who is probably off the table anyway.  The name that interests me the most is Robey-Coleman.  I’d have wanted to see Conley in camp first.  Others will come available too. 

The problem the Bills have is that there's little quality depth at corner and Wallace has missed time the last few seasons. I like Wallace but he is targeted a lot with Tre on other side. I thought they should have signed Nelson or brought some proven vet in already. I'm sure Beane is aware of this.

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I chose NO… 

Simply because there were no options given. Josh norman is a veteran. Shall we sign him again? 
Easy to say we should do this or that, but there needs to be some options given 

YoloinOhio said:

but what “solid” vet corners are floating around to be signed in august?

TheyCallMeAndy said:

Go back and read the last line of my original post. Teams are going to have to make some tough decisions around final cuts.

We're potentially going to have to cut Darryl Johnson simply because our DE room is packed. He's a good player.

I don't think it's a reach to say that some other team out there has a good young CB room and is willing to cut an expensive veteran.

Nobody knows who that will be yet, so I can't tell you specific players. Nobody currently on the waivers.

Edited by Rigotz

Happy, I agree in that he fits the scheme and has the experience to be a fill in if he is now cheap.

I don’t want to rehash all the Sherman stuff, but he wasn’t charged with a felony, didn’t hurt anyone, and has a pile of Mis. His lawyers will figure it out.  I’m not a Sherman fan off the field pre meltdown, but he can still fill in if we need him and he would be chopping at the bit to get in a SB bound possible team that fits his skills.  

Norman didn’t workout, but was another stop gap fill in as he plays what we need.  I don’t know what will happen, but I’m fine with a short list.  I just don’t think we need someone now.  That’s mine was a no.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yes, but not somebody washed up like Josh Norman. That experiment failed horribly. I really don't know who would be a good fit to be honest. It's too bad Sherman turned out to be a nut case.

Just speculation but I have to believe Sherman was this years 'Josh Norman' type of player that Beane and McD had in mind to sign before camp until his unfortunate incident. So wondering if there is a 'plan B' so to speak if not we really need to swing a trade sooner than later.

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He is, and takes some unnecessary flak at times. But the cupboard is pretty bare after White, Wallace and Johnson.

Jackson is not the offseason hero people hoped he would be, and Wildgoose was getting cooked all game. Neal is not a boundary CB either.

DB depth is looking pretty weak

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Just speculation but I have to believe Sherman was this years 'Josh Norman' type of player that Beane and McD had in mind to sign before camp until his unfortunate incident. So wondering if there is a 'plan B' so to speak if not we really need to swing a trade sooner than later.

can't disagree, should be interesting to see who is a surprise cut at roster cut downs

17 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

He is, and takes some unnecessary flak at times. But the cupboard is pretty bare after White, Wallace and Johnson.

Jackson is not the offseason hero people hoped he would be, and Wildgoose was getting cooked all game. Neal is not a boundary CB either.

Exactly. That is my concern. I am fine with our starting 3 (including Taron as the nickel) and I want to keep developing Dane. But as of right now if one of our 3 starters goes down I am majorly concerned. Nobody expects an upgrade on Levi to become available at cut downs. But can they find an upgrade on Dane is the question? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. That is my concern. I am fine with our starting 3 (including Taron as the nickel) and I want to keep developing Dane. But as of right now if one of our 3 starters goes down I am majorly concerned. Nobody expects an upgrade on Levi to become available at cut downs. But can they find an upgrade on Dane is the question? 

We agree 100%. Taron Johnson has bloomed into a terrific nickel. Wallace gets thrown to as the weakest link, but has been very solid.

Been looking at FA CB and it is bad, hoping for a vet cut somewhere.

Nickel Robey Coleman was available until last week

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

DB depth is something that certainly could have been addressed already.  But here’s a few still available: Sherman (baggage), Robey-Coleman, Conley and Boston (S).

Not world beaters, but they’d all be cheap, except Sherman who is probably off the table anyway.  The name that interests me the most is Robey-Coleman.  I’d have wanted to see Conley in camp first.  Others will come available too. 

Robey-Coleman is on Detroit - we saw him last weekend.

Sherman to me is exactly like what the Bills have done the last 2 years - he is a mediocre CB that was a name several years ago.  He would be ok if injuries hit, but I don’t think he is better than our current and I would rather see the young kids play.

Boston is a safety and was terrible last year - definitely not what they need.

Conley is at least young, but he has baggage big time and was injured last year.  Based upon his play - I am not sure he is better than Jackson or Wildgoose at this point.

For me the only way this works is if a veteran on a bad team wants out - like Bell on the Jets last year - and you can get him on a super cheap deal or you trade some depth - DE, DT, OL and get a younger veteran CB in return, but even in those cases you are picking up someone else’s unwanted and hoping it is better than guys this staff likes.

5 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. I mean he definitely wasn't 2015-level Josh Norman, but I wouldn't say that it "failed horribly." He was a decent backup, which is what he was brought in to be.

Getting posterized by Derrick Henry has people thinking that he was the most horrible thing on the entire team last year.

Norman was picked on quite a bit from what I remember especially by Rivers in the playoffs. I might of worded my first post wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Robey-Coleman is on Detroit - we saw him last weekend.

Sherman to me is exactly like what the Bills have done the last 2 years - he is a mediocre CB that was a name several years ago.  He would be ok if injuries hit, but I don’t think he is better than our current and I would rather see the young kids play.

Boston is a safety and was terrible last year - definitely not what they need.

Conley is at least young, but he has baggage big time and was injured last year.  Based upon his play - I am not sure he is better than Jackson or Wildgoose at this point.

For me the only way this works is if a veteran on a bad team wants out - like Bell on the Jets last year - and you can get him on a super cheap deal or you trade some depth - DE, DT, OL and get a younger veteran CB in return, but even in those cases you are picking up someone else’s unwanted and hoping it is better than guys this staff likes.

Good call on Robey-Coleman.  I didn’t notice him.  I see that he signed a couple weeks ago.  But my point stands.  This isn’t an issue that just popped up.  Players like him have been available.  It’s becoming more difficult to find a decent option, but it could’ve been avoided. 

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Good call on Robey-Coleman.  I didn’t notice him.  I see that he signed a couple weeks ago.  But my point stands.  This isn’t an issue that just popped up.  Players like him have been available.  It’s becoming more difficult to find a decent option, but it could’ve been avoided. 

It could have been avoided - if and only if the staff believes there is a depth issue.  

I think they always like more veterans, but I don’t think they believe the issue is bad at all.

Especially if they play more aggressively- I think they will be fine with the guys they have.  

I don’t think they believe even guys like Nelson were real improvements.

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It could have been avoided - if and only if the staff believes there is a depth issue.  

I think they always like more veterans, but I don’t think they believe the issue is bad at all.

Especially if they play more aggressively- I think they will be fine with the guys they have.  

I don’t think they believe even guys like Nelson were real improvements.

Hopefully we stay healthy and don't have to find out.