Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

Rigotz

Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should sign a solid vet corner ahead of the season?

• Yes
    • No

There is no magic bullet as it were, in the parlance, next man up! 

I’m more worried about running out of beer than who our back up for what ever position is, it’s a rare backup that doesn’t disappoint, it’s just how it is. 

That and we are winning it all regardless, 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m guessing that Beane’s pro scouts are watching all the preseason games very closely, hoping to spot a young, promising guy they can pick up in a lightly noticed trade.  

IMO, the ‘seasoned vet’ move would only happen as a post-injury, last resort.

• Agree 1

I'm counting on Dane Jackson to develop. He showed flashes last year. Could be our new Jabari Greer.

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Norman was picked on quite a bit from what I remember especially by Rivers in the playoffs. I might of worded my first post wrong. 

Our #2 will always be picked on. They arent going to throw at Tre.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm counting on Dane Jackson to develop. He showed flashes last year. Could be our new Jabari Greer.

Our #2 will always be picked on. They arent going to throw at Tre.

That's true, but there's levels to it. The best example I can use is someone like Terrence McGee who was probably IMO the best #2 CB we've had (and kick returner.) A guy best suited having a shutdown guy like Clements/White on the field w/ him, but could also line up at #1 in a pinch. 

I'm fine w/ Levi as the roster stands now, but as OP pointed out, that roster is pretty pathetic when you take Tre White out of the equation. I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable w/ Wallace than Norman, though. I saw him blanket DeAndre Hopkins in the endzone along w/ make a game sealing pick against the Steelers. Bills fans need to realize we could also do much worse. 👍

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In the offseason I would have voted no

but I keep hearing disturbing comments about Dane struggling in camp....I did not expect that

IDK, he's a 7th rounder in his first ever training camp. Although he showed flashes, I'm not surprised at all. 

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

McDermott has a thing for going thin at the CB position. Don't expect any additions. This has been a thing every single year.

Going thin in terms of numbers, yes. It is now usual for them to only carry 5. I don't think they will have been this thin in terms of experience before. There is no Kevin Johnson or EJ Gaines or Josh Norman on this roster to backup their two starters. If one goes down there are straight on to a 2nd year 7th rounder who has been up and down to say the least in camp and has very little NFL experience. Speaking of Kevin Johnson he "retired" in June after signing a one year deal with the Titans and then seeing them draft two corners. I wonder if he might be open to a phone call? He is only 29 and started 13 games for the Browns last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/18/2021 at 11:10 PM, DCofNC said:

Really surprised they didn’t get Nelson, seemed like he went cheap

Me too, I was hoping we would get him.  He definitely would have been competing to beat out Levi, even though Levi always seems to beat out his competition.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:44 AM, Turk71 said:

A decent pass rush will definitely help the secondary out but it won't make up for a weak link at cb. If the Bills are forced to field an easy target at cb they'll be in trouble imo, especially against the top teams. I would hate to see that be the thing that holds them back.

This is so true.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:54 AM, Doc Brown said:

I doubt it barring an injury.  They pry have Josh Norman on speed dial.

That’s what I am thinking too. Norman will be re-signed if they have space, or are in a jam during the season. 

As I recall, you can sign people after week 1 and then their salaries don’t become guaranteed. So maybe they sign him then? 

4 hours ago, Putin said:

Pats and dolphins  are  solid  at CB2 

Levi is below average 

But are there other positions where the Pats and Fish  are thinner than the Bills?   You have to have some weaker positions than others, every team does, it's just a question of where.

Personally I'd vote more for picking up a vet for depth on the offensive line.  To me that looks worse.  On the other hand O lineman rarely come out of the game other than for injury while secondary are always going in and out.  But would like to see better experienced depth at OT.

It wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve been saying it for months now. CB is obviously our weakest unit. Tre is a superstar and Levi is a solid starter but there is little to no depth behind them. Is Siran Neal more than just a big nickel? Would McCloud or Jackson be able to float sink or swim time?

Ultimately I do think Buffalo will add another corner, likely as other teams start trimming their rosters. There could be salary cap casualties, other teams may be deeper at corner than we are and one shakes free and I wouldn’t rule out a trade either.

In the end, CB/DB/secondary is Coach McDermott’s forte. I would consider it folly to think that he isn’t aware of what he has there. A lot of our guys may not be household names, but he is aware of what he has there and I doubt he would overlook that area once again.

I could also see another TE added or perhaps even a WR as well. We do have some quality at WR but if a really solid vet shakes free, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see someone added in that event.

Every year solid players become available via roster trim downs. So ultimately, in the end, I think McD/Beane will have to play the board and see who becomes available, but no, I do not think we’re done yet, not even close.

Yes I think a vet would be a good idea. Levi looks solid and probably the starter. But what vets are CB are still out there? Absolutely noway to the dirtbag Sherman on this team. That video of him the threatening  his family said it all. 

Edited by wppete

As far as current available free agents are concerned, one can only guess why Buffalo hasn't reached out to anybody.  Presumably, they either don't like available possible signings that much, or they don't think the need justifies what somebody they like would cost.  Beane will watch the waiver wire because that's what he does.  We'll have to wait and see if he does anything besides watch.

As others noted, I trust McDermott and Frazier the most with secondary valuations.  Last season, our dline underperformed.  We upgraded for sure there, and that will pay dividends for the back 7.  

I'm less concerned about Levi, but depth like others noted.  However, give Dane and Wildgoose a chance.  Both were coached well in college, physical corners and have the other intangibles to be good in our defense.  Neither is Tre White good, but let's be honest, we aren't replacing Tre with anyone cut at this point, or later, if Tre would to get injured.  Dane could replace Levi, yes a downgrade now but he is more than capable.

Our dline plays like they should, and Tremaine/Milano rebound, then our defense will be much improved.  Now if someone unexpected is let go, then I agree we should keep options open.  But I see it unlikely