Traveling to game/Airport Question

TFBillsfan

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

Looking to bring my daughter to her first game this year. Flying round trip from Atlanta. The last direct flight on Sunday is at 6:41 pm. Is it realistic to make it to the airport in time after the game or would we need to leave the game early? My spouse doesn’t want her to miss school. We’d most likely have a rental car. Any help would be much appreciated.

I took the fam to a game a few years ago and we opted for a later flight.

The way I saw it there was no way I was gonna spend my day stressing about making a flight. What if it turned out to be a long game that came down to the last play or went to OT? No way I was going to miss that hurrying out of the stadium.

The game I went to was close well into the 4th quarter. We stayed the whole game, let most of the stadium empty before we headed out basking in the win. We had time to stop for dinner on the way to the airport and it was very cool being amongst happy Bills fans, it really capped off the weekend.

Not an apples to apples comparison with you since I'm a lot closer than Atlanta, but if you're heading to Buffalo specifically to see a Bills game I'd try to prioritize the game over the flight home.

Just now, I am the egg man said:

Sure his spouse would be OK with this windfall kind of tradeoff spending were their daughter not miss school the day after the game, as they had asked.

haha.

It takes me about 20 minutes (maybe less) to speedwalk back to my car after the game.  I always park at a house on Big Tree right near Queens Place.  In 2019 it was $15.

I’m pretty sure that from stadium lots it would take you more than 20 minutes to get that far.  But, I could be wrong.

I think you can be at the airport at 5:30, return the car, and get to your plane.   

Park in a private lot on Big Tree.   Make it a private lot on the south side of Big Tree, not the north side.  Someplace around Kings Court, or a little past it toward the stadium.   It's about a 15, 20 minute walk to the stadium.  

Game's over at 4:15.   Pray for no overtime.  Depending on where your seats are, it will take a half hour to get to the car.  You've parked on the south side of Big Tree so that you can turn right out of your lot, heading east.   The traffic usually is bumper to bumper, but moving okay.  Somebody will always let you into the traffic as you're pulling out.   Drive past California, and past 219.    Usually past 219 the traffic opens up, moves pretty well.   Drive straight through Orchard Park and turn left on 187.   That's Transit Road.   Take Transit all the way north to Genesee Street.  Turn left on Genesee and you're at the airport.

Once you're past 219, the traffic lightens up, and that's only a mile from where you parked.  There's usually a backup in the center of Orchard Park, and you may have wait for the light to cycle through once or twice.  Sometimes I turn right off of Big Tree just past 219, then turn left again, and I can avoid the light.  Past the light, it's always smooth sailing.  And Transit Road traffic, although it gets a little heavy, is never very bad.  

Google maps says it's 25 minutes.  If you get to your car at 4:30, even if it takes an hour, you'll be there at 5:30.   

I've parked there for years.   I need to get on I-90 to get home, and this route works really well.  I stay on Big Tree all the way to East Aurora, and then I start heading north and east on the back roads all the way to Batavia.  All open road. I get on 90 there, and by then the traffic is heavy but moving at 65-70 mph.   

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

this is what I do.  Park at the first house on Big Tree (20A) that offers parking once I get off of the 219, then I’m back on the 219 heading towards 90E within 5 minutes of starting my car’s ignition after the game.

Bonus: save $25-$30 on parking, more money for booze.

Perfect. It works right?

Imagine the ease of the new stadium being downtown - and a new extension of the subway to the airport.  No need for a rental… so easy.

No chance WNY could EVER get a subway to/from OP and the airport - but leverage a new stadium downtown that could also serve multiple purposes including the Central Business District? 

No brainer.

Hence why a region like Buffalo should embrace (RARE) transformative opportunities like a new Bills stadium presents.

Is it doable?  Yes. We have done it a couple of times, but the stress just isn’t worth it to me. I end up watching my watch more than the game in the 4th quarter.

We take an early flight out on Monday and make it a three day weekend. 

10 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Looking to bring my daughter to her first game this year. Flying round trip from Atlanta. The last direct flight on Sunday is at 6:41 pm. Is it realistic to make it to the airport in time after the game or would we need to leave the game early? My spouse doesn’t want her to miss school. We’d most likely have a rental car. Any help would be much appreciated.

I’ve done this many times and I think you have plenty of time.  Are you TSA Pre-Check?  If not, I suggest getting that; it’s amazing how much time you save going through security.  The Buffalo airport is not large; there are no trams to catch between terminals or anything like that.  I also suggest not having any checked bags and check-in to your flight from your phone ahead of time.  It’s still funny to me how many people want “paper” boarding passes; you can have them on your phone and save yet another line.

Bottom line; if you prepare the timing should not be an issue and you shouldn’t have to leave the game early.

Edit:  just checked my itinerary for the opener; my flight is at 6:59.  Not worried a bit.

Edited by eball

I fly quite a bit to games from RIC & return Sun evening for work & availability on Mon. There are no direct flights to RIC from BUF but have been taking the last United (~7:45 pm) flight which they have operated for quite awhile.
It works perfectly. I relax after the game and leave about 6:30-6:45. By this time traffic has cleared so 25 min trip. I have TSA pre-check so quick thru security. It is one of the last flights departing BUF so lines usually fine even if no TSA pre-check. Usually make a connection through IAD or EWR and arrive in RIC by 11. This late connection through a hub works well for arriving at other US cities on Sun evening.
I just did a quick check for Sun, Sep 12 for BUF-ATL on United and depart BUF 7:45 pm and arrive ATL 11:55 pm.

I have no financial association with United but I am a preferred traveler on their airline from other business related travel and use them quite frequently.

Bottom line: this approach has worked well for a stress-free result in catching a Sunday night flight after a 1:00 game.

Edited by Mr Info

9 hours ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

I wouldn't recommend it. It is certainly possible, but a real iffy proposition and would likely leave you and your daughter stressed. Enjoy the game and find somewhere to get some wings afterwards. You're investing a lot in the memory with your daughter. Missing a day of school simply isn't that big a deal to ruin a once in a lifetime experience for the both of you. Tell mom to chill. 

^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^^

I make the same ‘mistake’ almost every time I travel. It all looks good on paper and something goes wrong. I should know myself by now though and note that I’d be thinking about NOTHING else the entire second half except whether I’m going to catch my flight…which is no way to attend a live event. Can you get to the airport? Sure you can. Do you want to be looking at your watch instead of the field right after halftime? Probably not. Slow down, take your time, and enjoy the day! Unless your daughter is getting married in Atlanta on Monday I’m betting there’s nothing going on there that can’t wait until Tuesday. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I've done it a couple times but you really need to be careful about where you park to make sure you can get out.  I'm sure there are other ways but each time I've done it I parked out at the ECC lot, walked with a distinct purpose after the game, gone left onto Southwestern (there is usually a traffic cop that opens a hole for you), immediate right onto Brompton, right onto McKinley.  Depending on how you are doing at that point you can either roll McKinley to Milestrip and go left on Milestrip and then over to the I-90, or you can go McKinley to Lake, Lake to Rt 5, Rt 5 to the 190. 190 South to Elm Exit, take Elm to the Kensington and then on to the airport. That way you miss the Thruway which gets funny sometimes.  It's not the most direct route, but it will be moving and is very unlikely to jam up on you.  The way I do it from McKinley if I'm really felling prickish or if people leave early and the traffic gets crap quickly or if the game runs very long is to make a left off McKinley into the Wegmans parking lot then make a right into the plaza to the right of the Wegmans and keep going. All the parking lots of the strip centers are attached and you can go all the way through and come out by the Home Depot at a traffic light on Milestrip that will let you make a left and skip an absolute ton of stopped traffic then get on the 90.  It's a dick move but a missed plane is no bueno and I'm sorry but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.  If McKinley is screwed and I can't go the other way that's a bailout.

Other helpful tidbits, pack light if possible and don't try to check bags, make sure you can do a carry-on. It speeds up the process.  Have everything in the car with you at the game, no going back to a hotel, go directly to the airport.  Also, if you have TSA precheck it helps with the airport line.  There are a couple flights that leave at that time and it sometimes backs up.

What else ya got folks?

Those are usually the last flights out on Sunday night.

Yes, never ever ever park in one of the main stadium lots. Ever. and if you park in a private lot make sure they don't block you in.

All of this. I’ve been doing the ATL/BUF game trip for 20 years, and the one time I flew out on that Sunday PM flight it was really tight. You should be okay if you follow the advise above. Be ready to walk out of the game the moment the clock hits zero. I’d even watch the last min or two from the tunnel. 

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I've done it a couple times but you really need to be careful about where you park to make sure you can get out.  I'm sure there are other ways but each time I've done it I parked out at the ECC lot, walked with a distinct purpose after the game, gone left onto Southwestern (there is usually a traffic cop that opens a hole for you), immediate right onto Brompton, right onto McKinley.  Depending on how you are doing at that point you can either roll McKinley to Milestrip and go left on Milestrip and then over to the I-90, or you can go McKinley to Lake, Lake to Rt 5, Rt 5 to the 190. 190 South to Elm Exit, take Elm to the Kensington and then on to the airport. That way you miss the Thruway which gets funny sometimes.  It's not the most direct route, but it will be moving and is very unlikely to jam up on you.  The way I do it from McKinley if I'm really felling prickish or if people leave early and the traffic gets crap quickly or if the game runs very long is to make a left off McKinley into the Wegmans parking lot then make a right into the plaza to the right of the Wegmans and keep going. All the parking lots of the strip centers are attached and you can go all the way through and come out by the Home Depot at a traffic light on Milestrip that will let you make a left and skip an absolute ton of stopped traffic then get on the 90.  It's a dick move but a missed plane is no bueno and I'm sorry but sometimes you need to do what you need to do.  If McKinley is screwed and I can't go the other way that's a bailout.

Other helpful tidbits, pack light if possible and don't try to check bags, make sure you can do a carry-on. It speeds up the process.  Have everything in the car with you at the game, no going back to a hotel, go directly to the airport.  Also, if you have TSA precheck it helps with the airport line.  There are a couple flights that leave at that time and it sometimes backs up.

What else ya got folks?

Those are usually the last flights out on Sunday night.

Yes, never ever ever park in one of the main stadium lots. Ever. and if you park in a private lot make sure they don't block you in.

All of this. I’ve been doing the ATL/BUF game trip for 20 years, and the one time I flew out on that Sunday PM flight it was really tight. You should be okay if you follow the advise above. Be ready to walk out of the game the moment the clock hits zero. I’d even watch the last min or two from the tunnel. 

It’s doable, no question asked.  You HAVE to park right though.  Find a private lot, make sure your turn out of it will be with the flow of traffic to get where you want to go.  You can bob and weave a little around the back roads and make it to 90 pretty easily, especially if you go a little further west, which seems counter intuitive, but the exit directly back to the East is always a ***** show. 

if you stay for the whole game and park in a stadium lot, you are asking for it.  Although I have had pretty good success with the lot on the visitor side of the stadium, I can’t recall the road name right off the top of my head, you can get down near the exits to the road and escape that way pretty well, it’s a lot longer walk in vs virtually any other stadium lot, but if you move your butt on the way out, it generally gets you out pretty quick. 

Fir real reference, I used to be an Usher at the stadium during my college years, we had to wait for the section to clear, go hand in our stuff and check out, walk to the car etc.  I found that if you took your time, it was about 45mins after the game that I would hit the car, a quick listen to the traffic report and I’d be out of there pretty easily, a lot of times I’d head up to the 190 and connect back to 90, it made it easier.  The only real thorn in your side is weather, when it snows it sucks. 

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you can be at the airport at 5:30, return the car, and get to your plane.   

Park in a private lot on Big Tree.   Make it a private lot on the south side of Big Tree, not the north side.  Someplace around Kings Court, or a little past it toward the stadium.   It's about a 15, 20 minute walk to the stadium.  

Game's over at 4:15.   Pray for no overtime.  Depending on where your seats are, it will take a half hour to get to the car.  You've parked on the south side of Big Tree so that you can turn right out of your lot, heading east.   The traffic usually is bumper to bumper, but moving okay.  Somebody will always let you into the traffic as you're pulling out.   Drive past California, and past 219.    Usually past 219 the traffic opens up, moves pretty well.   Drive straight through Orchard Park and turn left on 187.   That's Transit Road.   Take Transit all the way north to Genesee Street.  Turn left on Genesee and you're at the airport.

Once you're past 219, the traffic lightens up, and that's only a mile from where you parked.  There's usually a backup in the center of Orchard Park, and you may have wait for the light to cycle through once or twice.  Sometimes I turn right off of Big Tree just past 219, then turn left again, and I can avoid the light.  Past the light, it's always smooth sailing.  And Transit Road traffic, although it gets a little heavy, is never very bad.  

Google maps says it's 25 minutes.  If you get to your car at 4:30, even if it takes an hour, you'll be there at 5:30.   

I've parked there for years.   I need to get on I-90 to get home, and this route works really well.  I stay on Big Tree all the way to East Aurora, and then I start heading north and east on the back roads all the way to Batavia.  All open road. I get on 90 there, and by then the traffic is heavy but moving at 65-70 mph.   

Great advice