Reasons why those Mock Draft darlings are not picked - Teven Jenkins

Hadn't seen that, thanks. I was one of the ones pounding the table for Teven Jenkins (and JOK/Elijah Moore) if he was still there when we picked, but we just don't know as much as the teams in terms of any medicals. Reminds me of the Shaq Lawson situation where most of us were excited he fell to us (at #19 I believe) after he was expected to go Top 10 only to realize he was carrying an injury. So much for that Day 1 starter line from Rex...

Still think Jenkins is going to be a solid player in the league especially as a run blocker, but looks like we got a promising player in Rousseau with a very high ceiling! Let's go Groot!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Hadn't seen that, thanks. I was one of the ones pounding the table for Teven Jenkins (and JOK/Elijah Moore) if he was still there when we picked, but we just don't know as much as the teams in terms of any medicals. Reminds me of the Shaq Lawson situation where most of us were excited he fell to us (at #19 I believe) after he was expected to go Top 10 only to realize he was carrying an injury. So much for that Day 1 starter line from Rex...

Still think Jenkins is going to be a solid player in the league especially as a run blocker, but looks like we got a promising player in Rousseau with a very high ceiling! Let's go Groot!

The Lawson situation is exactly why Buffalo struggled for years.  No real connection to the people at Clemson.  Rex saying his son plays their he knows everything blah blah.  I dont see that situation happening with McBeane.  They would have found out about the shoulder.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Teven Jenkins went in round 2 because he is a projection at left tackle. He can play right tackle but you don't draft right tackles in round 1.

And in round 2,   an OG or RG better be special.

The notion that you can let up and draft for need or lesser valued positions just because it's the second round and not the first is misplaced.

Preferably you come out of the top 3 rounds with 3 players at the premium positions(QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR1).

Beane has gotten singed when he has gone to "safer" lesser positions in rounds 2 and 3.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And in round 2,   an OG or RG better be special.

The notion that you can let up and draft for need or lesser valued positions just because it's the second round and not the first is misplaced.

Preferably you come out of the top 3 rounds with 3 players at the premium positions(QB/PassRush/LT/CB/WR1).

Beane has gotten singed when he has gone to "safer" lesser positions in rounds 2 and 3.   

Meh. I think Right Tackle is a position I'd draft in round 2 now. I just think teams have good enough edge rushers now that I see value in having bookends. But that guy better end up a two contract starter. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. I think Right Tackle is a position I'd draft in round 2 now. I just think teams have good enough edge rushers now that I see value in having bookends. But that guy better end up a two contract starter. 

You would take a RT in round 2? Be hard for me to do that. But if I did I would go LT for sure before RT.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You would take a RT in round 2? Be hard for me to do that. But if I did I would go LT for sure.

Yes, in the right circumstances. I am absolutely against RT only guys in round 1. But in round 2 I am less absolute about it. I'd still prioritise my first tier positions - QB, Pass Rusher, LT, #1CB, #1WR - but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - RT, C, MLB. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yes, in the right circumstances. I am absolutely against RT only guys in round 1. But in round 2 I am less absolute about it. I'd still prioritise my first tier positions - QB, Pass Rusher, LT, #1CB, #1WR - but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - RT, C, MLB. 

Yeah I know it would depend on circumstances, but was curious why a RT over a LT. If the 2 players at each position were very close, you'd still go RT over LT?

11 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I know it would depend on circumstances, but was curious why a RT over a LT. If the 2 players at each position were very close, you'd still go RT over LT?

No, no, no. Given the choice between a guy who can play on the left and a guy who is RT only always take the guy who can play on the left if you have them in your same tier of talent. 

I was just making the point to @BADOLBILZ that while I generally agree with his view on the way you use 1st round resources I am a little more flexible in round 2. I'd still lean towards first tier positions but I'd consider 2nd tier positions - including RT - as well.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it depends on the player .. would you take a Guard early in the draft.. Quinton Nelson has panned out ok .. In the first round you hope to find a stud .. all else being equal sure a LT > RT or Guard, but not everything is equal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CorkScrewHill said:

I think it depends on the player .. would you take a Guard early in the draft.. Quinton Nelson has panned out ok .. In the first round you hope to find a stud .. all else being equal sure a LT > RT or Guard, but not everything is equal.

I'd take Nelson, yes. I was fine with taking Tremaine Edmunds too. But generally you have to stick to premium positions.

44 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

People get too caught up in this nonsense in my opinion. You need a RT and everyone on your team is in love with one guy that slipped out of the first round. You really don’t need anything else and you’re going to pass on the RT and take someone you’re luke warm on? Seems silly to me. 

Nah, you take your guy and hopefully get 10 years out of him.