Yahoo: Did Josh Allen actually sign a better contract than Patrick Mahomes did?

BigDingus

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/did-josh-allen-actually-sign-a-better-contract-than-patrick-mahomes-did-152438700.html

"...Allen received a record $100 million in guaranteed money at signing (Mahomes received just over $63 million) and that he could make more money in the first seven years in his deal than Mahomes will through his Year 7."

"Allen’s deal could allow him to earn $243 million through seven years. Mahomes would get a little more than $225 million over that same length of his contract. The discrepancy over the first three years is even more dramatic — Allen will outearn Mahomes in that span by a factor of nearly 50% (Allen is slated to earn $95 million, Mahomes just over $63 million)."

Very interesting article. Yes, if you just average it all out, it comes out to Allen making about $2 million less per year. But in terms of what he actually gets in his 6 years compared to what Mahomes gets, Allen is making quite a bit more. By the time the extension is up, Allen will then likely be signing for even more money per year, again outpacing Mahomes. 

So in reality, Allen got far more guaranteed money up front, will get more money through those 6 years than Mahomes during that time, and will get to the negotiating table faster than Mahomes & ink a deal making even MORE money (the article suggests the cap will be over $300 million by that point). So when all is said & done, Allen stands to make more money on both ends.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was envious of the Maholmes deal for KC honestly, yes Allen got the better deal.  10 years to manipulate the money and not have to negotiate a new deal is amazing for the Chefs.  Maholmes gave up way too much bargaining time IMO.  Josh looks to hit the market again in his prime, good for at least one more similar deal.  Maholmes will be 34(?) or so when he is due, meaning he’s getting a shorter deal on the backside or one that will be all for show with outs for the club to get rid of a gray beard.  Allen locked in a lifetime of money in his deal AND gets to go back in his prime for more, he signed the better deal for himself. 

The sweet spot is about 3-4 year deals for the players, they get paid too of the market with a ton of guaranteed money and then get to reset the market again as its climbing, assuming your bet on yourself is a good one.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Not bad for a guy with un correctable accuracy problems

He missed the line when he signed the contract ;) 

He will be attending Stephen Kings writing camp to improve his accuracy ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

Beane has made a lot of comments about being able to frontload the cash in contracts gets the players to give him flexibility with the cap and both the player and team usually win (unless, of course, the player busts and still gets a lot of cash before being cut). 

Which, btw, is something the "cheapskate" Pegulas are allowing.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Lamar Jackson's mother is working on a better deal

I wonder how a mother would negotiate the "deshaun Watson" conduct section of a contract. Will she assume that her son is an Angel, or does she know the dirty secrets?

That would be embarrassing to talk about...

33 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

They will have to restructure Allen's Contract in 2025. In comparison, Mahomes' contract gets ridiculous in 2027. This contract was definitely not a home team discount.

The “home team discount” stuff is and always was b.s.  These players can’t afford to not seek their market value (unless they have a wife who makes more than they do).  What makes this a “good” contract for Buffalo, and hence a win for both sides, is keeping the next several years’ cap hits relatively low and giving Beane flexibility down the road.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, eball said:

The “home team discount” stuff is and always was b.s.  These players can’t afford to not seek their market value (unless they have a wife who makes more than they do).  What makes this a “good” contract for Buffalo, and hence a win for both sides, is keeping the next several years’ cap hits relatively low and giving Beane flexibility down the road.

What is it exactly, that a player "can't afford" if they were to take, say, 20% less than a 248 MILLION dollar contract?  I understand trying to maximize your contract, but to say a player can't afford not to is just not true.  I live quite comfortable on about 1/10 of one percent of what Josh will be making.

I have no ill will against players for their contracts because that is apparently what the market will bear.  My point is that players who say they need to sign a bigger contract because they have a family to feed are delivering a false narrative.

And I do believe that I end up paying for these astronomical contracts indirectly.  I pay more for my cable TV, I pay more for products who advertise during football games, and the price of tickets nowadays has priced me out of attending games live.

The problem is not just football players, or sports players in general.  CEO's and others who make astronomical salaries also raise prices of goods and services I use, too.

I will now dismount my horse, high as it might be.  🐴

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

What is it exactly, that a player "can't afford" if they were to take, say, 20% less than a 248 MILLION dollar contract?  I understand trying to maximize your contract, but to say a player can't afford not to is just not true.  I live quite comfortable on about 1/10 of one percent of what Josh will be making.

I have no ill will against players for their contracts because that is apparently what the market will bear.  My point is that players who say they need to sign a bigger contract because they have a family to feed are delivering a false narrative.

And I do believe that I end up paying for these astronomical contracts indirectly.  I pay more for my cable TV, I pay more for products who advertise during football games, and the price of tickets nowadays has priced me out of attending games live.

The problem is not just football players, or sports players in general.  CEO's and others who make astronomical salaries also raise prices of goods and services I use, too.

I will now dismount my horse, high as it might be.  🐴

You see, a player's contract is not just about that player.  It's about the players who came before and those who will come after.  One guy takes a 20% haircut for no reason other than to "do the team a favor" and how does his agent feel?  How about the next set of players up for contracts?  It simply doesn't work that way.  NFL players have an average playing career of less than 4 years, the last I checked.  They have to "make bank" while they can.  You can't compare market-rate contracts for superstars in the professional sports leagues with what "average Joes" can or can't live on.  Josh did what he should have done, and the Bills don't begrudge him that because he also structured the deal more favorably to the team than he had to.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, eball said:

You see, a player's contract is not just about that player.  It's about the players who came before and those who will come after.  One guy takes a 20% haircut for no reason other than to "do the team a favor" and how does his agent feel?  How about the next set of players up for contracts?  It simply doesn't work that way.  NFL players have an average playing career of less than 4 years, that last I checked.  They have to "make bank" while they can.  You simply can't compare market-rate contracts for superstars in the professional sports leagues with what "average Joes" can or can't live on.  Josh did what he should have done, and the Bills don't begrudge him that because he also structured the deal more favorably to the team than he had to.

That is a valid point.

I understand that a sports player's career is short.  What does a player making the league minimum make in those 4-year average careers, $2.64M?  More than I made in my 40-year career?  And it is not like a player can't do something else after his career ends.  After a 4 year career, a player has 30-40 years to make more money in another career.  And, just going on their name recognition, I would imagine they can get a higher paying "normal" job than I can.

And my initial point is that an individual player can afford to take a hometown discount, without suffering in a lower standard of living.

37 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

happy that it is the usual Beane good deal all around..now wondering what or when Josh does something big on the charity front for WNY ?  Hospital and kids or something new and different... 

That is something that would make me feel a whole lot better about the salaries that players are making nowadays!  😀

EDIT:  I also learned a whole lot from Tre White when he signed his contract.  When he spoke about "generational wealth", it clicked a light on for me and I understood how important it is for players to make enough money to get them, their families, and their heirs into a world that they otherwise may have been locked out of.  I applaud players who use their wealth in a forward-looking manner.

Edited by RangerDave
Add Tre White