Olympics Thread Part 2

Mike in Horseheads

38 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Stayed up to an early hour ~2 a.m. to watch the women’s volleyball final with our gals winning gold 🥇 in straight sets. Annie Drews with a number of great blocks and kills.

First Olympics gold for us in this sport and it put us one ahead of China in the total golds count, 39-38.

I was hoping that someone would comment on this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympics/team-usa-dominates-brazil-clinch-first-women-s-volleyball-gold-n1276288

Watching a couple of their first matches I thought they were fatally flawed - missing the setter-MH connection (Poulter just could not set Akinradewo) and vulnerable to the change of pace (tip).

Then losing the Jordans to injury (Jordan Thompson, then Jordyn Poulter) ..................losing your starting Setter is like losing your starting QB.  I thought they had no chance after that.  But Hancock came in and they didn't flinch.

That Gold medal is a testament to the depth and strength of the program Karch Kiraly built, and a lesson there for the Bills. 

The scary thing for the world is how young some of them are.  Poulter is 23, Thompson is 24.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm planning to start an investigation into how all these Olympic athletes have been given illegal substances without their knowledge.  I feel really really bad for all these athletes and plan to investigate to find out who the guilty party is that's given them these substances without them knowing it.

I'm looking for others to help in this tragic situation.  So far I've had offers from the group that OJ hired to look for the real killers as they're not real busy these days.

I enjoyed the closing ceremony more than the opening ceremony.

Having said that, all of the very traditional Japanese stuff that they did, in both opening and closing ceremonies, was really cool.

This young woman last night who was doing "interpretive dancing" as a tree was totally cool.

In the opening ceremony, the guy doing the dance while portrayed as "death" was really interesting and very Japanese.

He actually did a good job of portraying "death" which can't be easy.

We've been lucky this summer!  I love big international sporting tournaments and to get Euro 2020 and the Olympics back to back in the same summer was a treat.

And now only 3 years to Paris too, and winter games this winter! 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Who follows it on NBC... So many more outlets to get info about it from.  Ratings simply don't tell the whole story anymore. 

I dunno how much the time difference (16 hours?) that led to reported results may have impacted viewership. I’m much less inclined to watch something if it’s not live and I know the score. And it also led to a bunch of stuff shown live after midnight here e.g. a lot of the volleyball and diving, iirc.

• Like (+1) 1

I also didn’t get to read the full article (paywall) but wondering what the prime-time viewership decline, if any, was. That’s where the bread and butter is made.

interesting article from elsewhere that the next Games being held in Paris are going to be done on a relative shoestring venue construction budget of less than $4B. Whereas Eastern host countries have spent huge amounts $20B+ in new building, Paris is going to be using a number of existing sites and some temporary units for sport venues. Village housing will be done in some of the ‘banlieu’ areas off of the city center that have historically been run-down and poorer areas and then used for apartments after the games are done. I mean… why not try to make this stuff more economical?

China and Japan have gone on spending sprees with their hosting… which might explain why they’ve had so many of these big sporting events in the past 20 years. Nagano, Beijing, Japan-Korea World Cup. Tokyo now. Winter Olympics for Beijing. And no wonder… the people who vote to select these sites get their palms greased, big time💰.

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

I also didn’t get to read the full article (paywall) but wondering what the prime-time viewership decline, if any, was. That’s where the bread and butter is made.

interesting article from elsewhere that the next Games being held in Paris are going to be done on a relative shoestring venue construction budget of less than $4B. Whereas Eastern host countries have spent huge amounts $20B+ in new building, Paris is going to be using a number of existing sites and some temporary units for sport venues. Village housing will be done in some of the ‘banlieu’ areas off of the city center that have historically been run-down and poorer areas and then used for apartments after the games are done. I mean… why not try to make this stuff more economical?

China and Japan have gone on spending sprees with their hosting… which might explain why they’ve had so many of these big sporting events in the past 20 years. Nagano, Beijing, Japan-Korea World Cup. Tokyo now. Winter Olympics for Beijing. And no wonder… the people who vote to select these sites get their palms greased, big time💰.

Chicago for their bid in 2012, wanted to do what Paris is doing.  I guess they were almost 15+ years too soon.  It really should be the model for the future.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

No surprise.  Japan is expected to lose upwards of $30B. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.