Olympics Thread Part 2

Mike in Horseheads

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not. I'm rooting for USA in everything.

Fair enough, I probably misinterpreted some things I read. I’ve just noticed that some people are starting to root more for individual athletes than the country itself. NBC’s coverage makes it such a soap opera geared toward individual stories over country imo. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair enough, I probably misinterpreted some things I read. I’ve just noticed that some people are starting to root more for individual athletes than the country itself. NBC’s coverage makes it such a soap opera geared toward individual stories over country imo. 

The individual stories have been at the forefront as long as I can remember. It's both inspiring stories combined with national pride. This Olympics has been no different for me.

There is tons of national pride being displayed.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The individual stories have been at the forefront as long as I can remember. It's both inspiring stories combined with national pride. This Olympics has been no different for me.

There is tons of national pride being displayed.

That’s fair, I think I just like the events that don’t receive all the hoopla. I really enjoyed watching the hammer throw on an NBC networks last night. A Polish dude won, but an American Cornell grad took the silver. There’s something pure and true to the Olympic spirit about the lesser known athletes achieving their dreams in less popular sports. There’s nothing wrong with all the fluff pieces, or star athlete credit card commercials, but I also love seeing the other athletes who worked just as hard. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s fair, I think I just like the events that don’t receive all the hoopla. I really enjoyed watching the hammer throw on an NBC networks last night. A Polish dude won, but an American Cornell grad took the silver. There’s something pure and true to the Olympic spirit about the lesser known athletes achieving their dreams in less popular sports. There’s nothing wrong with all the fluff pieces, or star athlete credit card commercials, but I also love seeing the other athletes who worked just as hard. 

My family goes crazy over the swimming. I personally love the track events.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

My family goes crazy over the swimming. I personally love the track events.

It's all about the cycling for me - road and track - as that was my sport when I was younger but I also really enjoy the diving because of my love of cycling. Back in the days before Britain was a strong cycling nation when our only Tour De France coverage was the final couple of hours of each stage on Eurosport it often clashed with the world diving championships. The diving would be on right before the cycling so I'd be sitting watching it while I was waiting and what started as a frustration of "just get to the Tour now please" turned into a real appreciation of the skill and finesse of world class divers. Again this was the days before the UK had ploughed funding into diving. 

14 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m glad everyone is stoked that US women’s soccer lost, it’s kind of sad really. 

Outside of the usual suspects, this isn't a popular sentiment.  It is popular among the people who allegedly have been boycotting all sports for a few years now, but do we really care what they think?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

https://youtu.be/fSXPmihrX3c

Amazing comeback to win gold. NBC has link on YouTube lockdown, but here's another clip

This young man is incredible.  The wrestler he beat to go to the olympics, Nick Gwizdowski, is a two time NCAA champ and local legend (from Duanesburg, NY near Albany).  I hated to see him lose, but GS is a phenom.  Great victory! 

Stayed up to an early hour ~2 a.m. to watch the women’s volleyball final with our gals winning gold 🥇 in straight sets. Annie Drews with a number of great blocks and kills.

First Olympics gold for us in this sport and it put us one ahead of China in the total golds count, 39-38.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.