Stephon Gilmore wants more money.

TBBills

I am in sales. If I went and told my boss to give me a raise because I was the top salesman in 2019, he would say that I should’ve been the top salesman in 2020 and he would consider it. Shouldn’t that also work in football?

6 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

You mean the 4 Defensive players selected over those 5 years.  (Byrd, Dareus, Mario, Kyle). 

You said nobody could succeed under Marrone (an offensive-minded HC BTW).  But that's still 4 defensive players that made it over Gilmore...despite those coaches.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well you said 2019.... which are you referring to? Now or 2019. You specifically said 2019 earlier, now you say he's "currently" not top 15

Not top 5 in 2019, 2020 and a hot take: not 2021.  

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You said nobody could succeed under Marrone (an offensive-minded HC BTW).  But that's still 4 defensive players that made it over Gilmore...despite those coaches.

Marrone had a decent DC Rex had Rob.  Making the pro bowl is not succeeding.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/29/stephon-gilmore-tweets-a-list-of-highest-paid-dbs-which-hes-not-on/

Gilmore, who has a 2021 base salary of $7 million, posted on Twitter today a list of the 10 highest-paid defensive backs in the NFL. Gilmore, who isn’t on the list, added the comment, “Oh ok.”

Quite clearly not OK with his contract, Gilmore did not attend the Patriots’ mandatory minicamp. He and the Patriots have reportedly not made any significant progress in negotiating a new deal.

gilmore.jpg

Gills conveniently forgets the 18 million sign bonus first year, the restructure money move up that lowered this year salary, AND the 13.5 mill avg the whole deal is. WTH! can't he do math??

He has Scottie Pippen disease.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Color me SHOCKED!  Just shocked!!!!  Ole BB is gonna be an unhappy camper with this move.....

He'll just find another late round/UDFA to replace him.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I am in sales. If I went and told my boss to give me a raise because I was the top salesman in 2019, he would say that I should’ve been the top salesman in 2020 and he would consider it. Shouldn’t that also work in football?

Methinks too many people are whispering in his ear about the $$$.  I still think BB is gonna ditch him....that man will cut off his nose to spite his face.....this is pretty comical to watch the Cheetahs spiral down into the dumpster....altho if and a BIG if all that FA $$$ spent actually performs that D will be good and those TE's will wish they had a real QB throwing to them!!

19 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Honestly this is where things fall apart for Gilmore.  He used to be an elite CB, probably the best in the game at one point.  But he just had a pedestrian season where he was way overpaid for his production.  Now his agent has to sell a team on him being worth a big, new contract as well as trade compensation.  I don’t see that happening.  In situations like this I’d usually say that keeping his salary where it is and adding incentives would be a good compromise, but those are tough for the CB position unless it’s playing time.  I do not think that works here. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He's a good CB who looks better in the Cheaters' system, like many CBs have done.  He was nothing great with Buffalo and will be nothing great again when he's gone from Cheaterland.

He was damn good in Buffalo, which is the reason that the Pats, who are nothing if not cheap, gave him that contract.

He was never a fan fave, but still an absolutely excellent player here.

He is a great player, and he is in the Pats system, but there's no major benefit for CB play of being in the Pats system, beyond the Pats generally having in the past put together very good front sevens to play behind. The guy is excellent.

Having said that, if I were the Pats I wouldn't pay him any extra at this point. He signed a contract that paid a lot up front. That was to his benefit. Now is the time where that pays off for the Pats and they have every right to tell him to play under the contract or sit out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Being better goes further than just play on the field.   Gilmore is a better man corner, but Tre has a lot more grit and willingness to put his nose into a play.   Add that to what Tre means to the team as a whole because of his attitude and I'd take Tre everyday of the week.  Gilmore is soft, entitled, and always acted like he was better than Buffalo.  

Yes he did act that way, the classic comment of being on TV and all comes to mind and yes he was a softy never wanting to get his hands dirty player.

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Honestly this is where things fall apart for Gilmore.  He used to be an elite CB, probably the best in the game at one point.  But he just had a pedestrian season where he was way overpaid for his production.  Now his agent has to sell a team on him being worth a big, new contract as well as trade compensation.  I don’t see that happening.  In situations like this I’d usually say that keeping his salary where it is and adding incentives would be a good compromise, but those are tough for the CB position unless it’s playing time.  I do t think that works here. 

he will likely be a mercenary through his final years. 

Trade a 2 and get back a comp 3 at the end, for 2 years $30M? great spot for a contender that needs secondary help. If not for our history, we would be a primo candidate needing secondary help and not wanting to give a cornerstone contract for a guy. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Then you could also say to your boss, "Gotcha. I've arranged a new contract with a competitor who pays more. See ya." 

So, no, that shouldn't work in football. People who try to draw parallels between NFL contracts and most contracts in our society keep missing this point. 

Again, I'm no fan of bowing to Gilmore on this. But there's not a good analogy to be made there.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Trade a 2 and get back a comp 3 at the end, for 2 years $30M? great spot for a contender that needs secondary help. If not for our history, we would be a primo candidate needing secondary help and not wanting to give a cornerstone contract for a guy. 

Best post of the thread. He is still upper echelon and was playing well before getting hurt last season.

Just now, NoSaint said:

Trade a 1 or 2 and get back a comp 3 at the end, for 2 years $30M? great spot for a contender that needs secondary help. If not for our history, we would be a primo candidate needing secondary help and not wanting to give a cornerstone contract for a guy. 

But this is what he wants.....he wants Tre dollahs!!!!  Besides - the Bills don't play enough on national TV for him!! 🤣😏

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He was damn good in Buffalo, which is the reason that the Pats, who are nothing if not cheap, gave him that contract.

He was never a fan fave, but still an absolutely excellent player here.

He is a great player, and he is in the Pats system, but there's no major benefit for CB play of being in the Pats system, beyond the Pats generally having in the past put together very good front sevens to play behind. The guy is excellent.

Having said that, if I were the Pats I wouldn't pay him any extra at this point. He signed a contract that paid a lot up front. That was to his benefit. Now is the time where that pays off for the Pats and they have every right to tell him to play under the contract or sit out.

I said he was a good CB.  We'll have to agree to disagree about how excellent he was in Buffalo.  Again no accolades and a ***** attitude while there say otherwise.  Excellent talent will be recognized no matter who the coach is and what the team's record is, especially over 5 seasons.

Meanwhile Belicheat has always made CBs look better and unearthed gems.  JC Jackson is the next guy that's going to demand to be paid, although that will probably have to wait until next season, when there's more money.

• Eyeroll 1

Gilmore's best games are probably behind him, although he is still very good.  He has always been a "me first guy".  He may realize that he is at the age when the performance of corners starts to decline.  He probably sees this as his best chance to hit the Brinks truck for one last big haul.  I hope he gives Bellicheat a bunch of trouble this year.  If the Cheatriots are forced to move him out of New England, it will leave a major hole in their secondary.  Anything to mess up the Cheatriots is okay with me.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll just find another late round/UDFA to replace him.

Like Ken Webster?  Keion Crossen? Darryl Roberts? Jermea Thomas?  Alfonzo Dennard? Malcolm Williams? Mike Richardson?  Willie Andrews?  Christian Morton?  Leonard Myers?

A veritable Crown Royal velvet purse full of gems....

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Like Ken Webster?  Keion Crossen? Darryl Roberts? Jermea Thomas?  Alfonzo Dennard? Malcolm Williams? Mike Richardson?  Willie Andrews?  Christian Morton?  Leonard Myers?

A veritable Crown Royal velvet purse full of gems....

Damn you're right, that list is hideous.  He's best-served not drafting CB's late and just getting them after the draft.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Damn you're right, that list is hideous.  He's best-served not drafting CB's late and just getting them after the draft.

Atta boy

Although, Cheung, McCourty, Butler, Ryan, Logan, Merriweather aren't/weren't bad.

Edited by Mr. WEO