What is the worst play in Bills history?

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a good discussion on WGR and boy, we've had a lot.

To me, it's the JP Losman fumble against the Jets.  

BTW...preseason counts too.  I forgot who the back up QB was but who got sacked and threw the ball backwards.

I think we were talking about this a few weeks ago in the context of “worst coaching decisions.” Jauron was an idiot for calling this. It was technically an astute idea. But you have to know your team. Run the clock!!! 

As for worst plays, is there a franchise that has more to choose from than the Bills? 

3 hours ago, chongli said:

😄

Coach: "Where are we?"

Bledsoe: "Foxborough."

Coach: "Who am I?"

Bledsoe: "You're the coach."

Coach: "Who are you?"

Bledsoe: "I'm Batman!"

Coach: "Call Brady."

Bledsoe: "His name is 'Robin'!"

And now you know...........the rest of the story....

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Occasional rework of material does improve things...
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This doesn’t qualify as the “worst”— but does anyone remember the game against the Pats in like 2002ish time frame? It was a tight game, and the Bills forced a key fumble. But the Patriots receiver, who fumbled and had his bell rung, was lying out of bounds and I think his leg was like touching another player who recovered the ball, and so it was deemed that the ball was out of bounds. It was a horrible and bizarre call. I think the receiver may have been David Givens. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if it was covered, and seeing all the previous ones mentioned , in my mind, this is in the top 5.. Chas Romes not picking off Fouts in the SD playoff game in 80-81.. season.. he does, Bills win, host the Raiders, beat the Raiders, then the Eagles in the Super Bowl.. 

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As for worst plays, is there a franchise that has more to choose from than the Bills? 

The Jets would definitely give the Bills a run for the money. The butt fumble has its own Wikipedia page.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

Mine is actually a series of plays.  Jim Kelly threw a pass out of the endzone into the stands & was called for intentional grounding.  I have never seen any other QB called for grounding throwing the ball out of the endzone before or after that game.  Later on Kelly threw a pick 6 & the Dolphins won the game 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-10-14-1996288081-story.html

But Kelly went back to pass, looked right, found no one open and then noticed Miami defensive lineman Tim Bowen bearing down on him. A veteran quarterback overthrows his covered tight ends on the right side, but inexplicably Kelly opted to throw to no one on the left side. The referee penalized the Bills for intentional grounding: 10 yards and a loss of down.

Kelly, who is playing in the final year of his contract and looking for Marino-like money (a $3 million raise), threw the ball away in the correct manner on second down. He tripped while trying to hand off to Thomas on third down, resulting in only a 2-yard gain. And on fourth-and-goal from the 10, he threw the ball to Terrell Buckley.

Unfortunately, Buckley plays for the Dolphins.

A week ago Johnson fired safety Gene Atkins for not making plays in the secondary, but Buckley took the interception and returned it 91 yards for a touchdown to give Johnson his biggest victory with the Dolphins.

23 hours ago, WhoTom said:

A couple of years ago, someone let a kickoff roll into the endzone and didn't bother to pick it up and take a knee. Instead, the opposing team (Jets, I think?) fell on it for a TD.

That was "TD Mike" (ironically, it was a Jest TD that time), and spurred yet another rule change ('cause we screw the Bills at least once, then change the rule).  Now as soon as the kick hits the EZ unreceived, it's an automatic touchback.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

22 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

How about double reverse and Andre Reed passes?

You beat me to it.  An obscure play in a relatively meaningless game in the 1997 season, but I was there, so I remember it well.  Todd Collins, who was given the starting job even though vastly inferior to AVP (Wade sucked at picking starting QB's, remember Billie Joe Neckbert, and of course, Scrub Johnson?), put the Bills in a 0-20 hole against the Broncos. 

In comes AVP, bringing the Bills all the way back to tie the game at 20-20, sending it into overtime.  Dan Henning then makes, arguably the worst play call in Bills history, a double-reverse option pass call to Andre Reed from our own 32 yard line.  The play design was idiotic, having Andre run left, throwing against his body.  He's sacked, fumbles, AVP recovers for a 20-yard loss.  2nd and 30, we can't get the first down, punt, and Elway carves us up and Elam kicks a chip shot FG to win the game.

Complete waste of a heroic effort by AVP, who continued to be crapped on by the Bills coaching staffs for years after this.  The only QB better than AVP in those years was Doug Flutie, but they continued to sit AVP behind garbage like Neckbert and Collins.  AVP was a fat Chad Pennington, smart as *****, with a sub-NFL arm.  But Henning was too stupid to build an offense around that.  Still pisses me off.

22 hours ago, Greg S said:

Wide right. Nothing else is close.

If you think about this for a while with an emphasis on objectivity, I think this HAS to be the only answer.

Easily the worst single play in franchise history.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Most misunderstood play in Bills history.   Tuel did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play, and Stevie did not.  

Tuel's job on that play was to see if his receiver got inside leverage off the line of scrimmage.   If he did, Tuel was supposed to throw to a spot.  

Stevie's job was to break over the middle from the slot, so that the slot corner would follow him out of the space where the ball was going to be thrown.  Stevie made one of his incredible separation moves off the line of scrimmage, so much so that the slot corner stumbled, leaving Stevie free to run into the end zone.  However, after the stumble, the defender was standing right where the pass was going.   Tuel didn't see the slot corner, because the QB is looking at the receiver, not at the place that he's going to lead the receiver to.   The play was designed to assure that that zone would be empty - Stevie's move left someone in the zone.   Yes, Stevie was wide open, but Tuel's first read was whether the receiver got the inside leverage - once he saw the inside leverage, Tuel didn't and wasn't supposed to look for Stevie.

It's much like Russell Wilson's interception in the Super Bowl against the Patriots.   Wilson saw the formation, saw his receiver get the inside leverage and threw it.  That was his job.  Wilson wasn't supposed to look to see if the defender was jumping the route; he didn't have time to look.  Tuel didn't have time, either.  It wasn't his job to look.  

This play effectively ended Jeff Tuel's NFL career.  I remember when he threw a dime in the Cleveland game after EJ was injured, a perfect 40 yard rainbow, right into TJumptomakeacatch Graham's hands and TJ just dropped it.  If TJ makes that catch, we win that Cleveland game.

21 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Haven't read through the entire thread, but these would be at the top of my list:

- Inability to tackle Stephen Baker (or was it Ingram?) on third down in Super Bowl XXV.

Ingram.  No less than 7 Bills had a shot at him.  Darryl Talley had him wrapped and blew the tackle.  That play broke our back.  That and Andre's drop on 3rd and 1.

21 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Matt Simms

simmsnostop.0.0.gif

full play

Oh God, forgot this one.  GOOD POST!!

20 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Lonnie Johnson getting completely blown up on the fake punt has to get some kind of honorable mention.  Guess we need to define worst play, but this was up there with the dumbest.  

The Wile E Coyote, always a good choice!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:30 AM, chongli said:

May have been mentioned, but the Andre Reed helmet slam for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during a crucial time?

In SB XXVI (corrected) against the Redsk....er....WTF's.  The DB's kept cheap-shotting him all game, and he lost it.  We had to settle for a FG.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:01 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

The worst play in Bills’ history didn’t happen in a Bills game.  It was Mo Lewis’s hit on Bledsoe.

/thread 

*****in' A, Bubba!

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

In another installment of "Another Bills ***** up that could have ended the Cheats drought", let's harken back to September 10, 2006.  The Bills are up 17-7 at the Razor with about about 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.  The normally conservative Dick Mauron decides to go for the knockout punch on 4th and 1 from the Cheats 7.  After all, we have Willis McGahee, right?  That POS we wasted a 1st round pick on who didn't play for a year and hated Buffalo the whole time he was here, remember him?  "Watchootalkinbout" Willis puts up as much effort as a feather duster and is stopped short.  Of course after that, the Cheats score 12 unanswered while shutting us out to win 19-17.  

The coup de grace came after the game, when a reporter asked Willis about the 4th down.  Not kidding, with a straight face, Willis asks back "It was 4th down?"  I'll never forget that.  Dude was so checked out, he had no clue of the importance of that play.  So when you see me gloss him Willis "It was 4th Down?" McGahee, and label him a POS, you'll know why.

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

EJ and his receivers often seemed to be in different Zip codes.

That's postal code to you :devil:

There are some obvious ones like wide right, losing the wild card game to Tennessee on the lateral play, Stevie's TD drop against Pitt.  I'll bring up another one that may not have been mentioned:

2014 week 16 against Oakland, down only 19-17 with a few minutes to go, 3rd and 22.  The defense proceeds to give up a first down.  Bills lose and are eliminated from the playoffs.  I can't recall if the Bills would have made the playoffs had they won that game but it was still disappointing..  What makes that play so frustrating is that was a legitimately good defense.  Heck, they shut down Aaron Rodgers and the Packers one week earlier.  Then they give up that crap play on 3rd and 22.  That was a huge let down.

• Like (+1) 1