What is the worst play in Bills history?

Wide right and music city forward lateral are hard to argue against. 

The one that sticks out to me though as epitomizing the entire the Bills fortunes as a franchise is that Terrance McGee kick return against the Saints. It was probably the most impressive return in NFL history, only to fall short of the goal line to end the half with all those blockers around.  I just stared at the screen for 20 minutes after, couldn't even move or speak.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiU-raWgu3wAhVKQzABHSX2BqUQwqsBMAB6BAgEEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGlKJc_CLRpc&usg=AOvVaw3GhT9TfxQGS6f53RQb9DaA

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Wide right. Nothing else is close.

I can't believe this isn't the #1 answer from everyone. Literally the most gutting thing ever. 

26 minutes ago, Irv said:

Ronnie Harmon dopped pass gets on the podium in third.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. 

Wide Rite - Norwoods missed kick in the first Bills SB - didnt hook back in as it did in warmups ?

The Music City Mistake - took a review and boy was the close to being brought-back

Ronnie Harmon half-ass attempt to catch a ball he said was un-catchable - 89 playoff game vs Browns

Leodis McKelvin fumbling a kick-off return against Pats with 2 mins to go and giving Brady another opportunity to win...which he-they did.

All those SB interceptions by Kelly - in comparison Montana threw zero in 4 SBs

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The worst i ever saw in person was jeff tuel throwing a goalline pick 6 when stevie was wide open.

Most misunderstood play in Bills history.   Tuel did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play, and Stevie did not.  

Tuel's job on that play was to see if his receiver got inside leverage off the line of scrimmage.   If he did, Tuel was supposed to throw to a spot.  

Stevie's job was to break over the middle from the slot, so that the slot corner would follow him out of the space where the ball was going to be thrown.  Stevie made one of his incredible separation moves off the line of scrimmage, so much so that the slot corner stumbled, leaving Stevie free to run into the end zone.  However, after the stumble, the defender was standing right where the pass was going.   Tuel didn't see the slot corner, because the QB is looking at the receiver, not at the place that he's going to lead the receiver to.   The play was designed to assure that that zone would be empty - Stevie's move left someone in the zone.   Yes, Stevie was wide open, but Tuel's first read was whether the receiver got the inside leverage - once he saw the inside leverage, Tuel didn't and wasn't supposed to look for Stevie.

It's much like Russell Wilson's interception in the Super Bowl against the Patriots.   Wilson saw the formation, saw his receiver get the inside leverage and threw it.  That was his job.  Wilson wasn't supposed to look to see if the defender was jumping the route; he didn't have time to look.  Tuel didn't have time, either.  It wasn't his job to look.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Most misunderstood play in Bills history.   Tuel did exactly what he was supposed to do on that play, and Stevie did not.  

Tuel's job on that play was to see if his receiver got inside leverage off the line of scrimmage.   If he did, Tuel was supposed to throw to a spot.  

Stevie's job was to break over the middle from the slot, so that the slot corner would follow him out of the space where the ball was going to be thrown.  Stevie made one of his incredible separation moves off the line of scrimmage, so much so that the slot corner stumbled, leaving Stevie free to run into the end zone.  However, after the stumble, the defender was standing right where the pass was going.   Tuel didn't see the slot corner, because the QB is looking at the receiver, not at the place that he's going to lead the receiver to.   The play was designed to assure that that zone would be empty - Stevie's move left someone in the zone.   Yes, Stevie was wide open, but Tuel's first read was whether the receiver got the inside leverage - once he saw the inside leverage, Tuel didn't and wasn't supposed to look for Stevie.

It's much like Russell Wilson's interception in the Super Bowl against the Patriots.   Wilson saw the formation, saw his receiver get the inside leverage and threw it.  That was his job.  Wilson wasn't supposed to look to see if the defender was jumping the route; he didn't have time to look.  Tuel didn't have time, either.  It wasn't his job to look.  

Tuel made up for it after that.  He was light's out.  

10 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Wide right and music city forward lateral are hard to argue against. 

The one that sticks out to me though as epitomizing the entire the Bills fortunes as a franchise is that Terrance McGee kick return against the Saints. It was probably the most impressive return in NFL history, only to fall short of the goal line to end the half with all those blockers around.  I just stared at the screen for 20 minutes after, couldn't even move or speak.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiU-raWgu3wAhVKQzABHSX2BqUQwqsBMAB6BAgEEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGlKJc_CLRpc&usg=AOvVaw3GhT9TfxQGS6f53RQb9DaA

Holy Jesus. I don't remember that but now it's in my brain.....

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He read zero blitz and threw it blindly.  I don't think its all "jeff tuel is bad" either - just a poor play result that inevitably flipped the entire game around.  

14 minutes ago, Reader said:

The play that stands out to me was the dropped punt in the 2007 Cleveland game, I feel like that really communicates the futility we felt as fans.

I was at that game.   The fumble didn't bother me at all.   It was, what, 3-3?    Under two minutes left, Bills are heading toward the open end, with the wind their faces.   So this was going to be the Bills' last possession (unless it goes to overtime, but the game was so miserable, everyone just wanted it to end).   The Bills have only one playmaker - Roscoe Parrish, and returning punts was his best skill.   Roscoe and everyone else in the stadium knew that Roscoe was the best chance the Bills had to score.   Actually, he probably was the ONLY chance the Bills had to score.  So Roscoe took a chance fielding a punt he would ordinarily have let bounce, and he muffed it.  Browns recover gain 15 yards and win it with a field goal.   I never blamed Roscoe for that play.   He did exactly what I wanted him to do - try to catch that ball on the run and take off running.  Didn't work.  

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He read zero blitz and threw it blindly.  I don't think its all "jeff tuel is bad" either - just a poor play result that inevitably flipped the entire game around.  

He threw right to his receiver.  It was a perfect throw.   It just happened that a defender was standing there, a defender who was supposed be chasing Stevie into the end zone.  

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was a good discussion on WGR and boy, we've had a lot.

To me, it's the JP Losman fumble against the Jets.  

BTW...preseason counts too.  I forgot who the back up QB was but who got sacked and threw the ball backwards.

I looked up this game to see the season - and man... losing 13-0 to matt cassel at the end of the year in a wind storm sounds absolutely agonizing to watch.

They twice punted on 3rd down in that game...

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Worst play by a player, or worst result?

Worst result, of course, would be wide right.  

That Losman fumble was horrible. 

Now, you've got Ed Rutkowski, emergency backup QB in the red zone against the Raiders, fumbling as the Bills are about to score the go-ahead touchdown.    In terms of worst plays from a game perspective, that one's way up there.   On the other hand, in terms of the team's future, it wasn't so bad.   The Bills lost, secured the #1 overall pick and drafted OJ.   So worst isn't always worst. 

Then there's Jim Braxton's fumble on Monday night football.   Ferguson hits Ahmad Rashad for the go-ahead score inside two minutes.  Bills defense holds, Raiders punt.  Bills run three plays and run out the clock, right?   No.  Braxton fumbles, Raiders scoop and score.   Worst play ever.   Of course, Fergie then took the Bills on a long drive as time was running out and hit Rashad again for the game winner.  

How about Bills-Cowboys on Monday.  The Bills defense absolutely invites the Cowboys to throw two quick sideline passes to get in range for the game-winning field goal on the last play.   Absolutely worst end-of-game defensive scheme imaginable.   Or, for that matter, the blown coverage on the onside kick immediately before those two passes.   That may be the worst three-play stretch in Bills history.  

The worst play that was one of the best plays in history was Terence McGee stumbling and falling just short of the end zone on the kickoff return that ended the first half against the Saints.   Best return ever, and it was useless.  

How about the Music City Miracle?   

This reminds me of Darick Holmes' fumble against the 49ers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

He threw right to his receiver.  It was a perfect throw.   It just happened that a defender was standing there, a defender who was supposed be chasing Stevie into the end zone.  

The end result of the play is 100 yards the other way and 10-10. It means nothing either way, the team was bad that year.  Just a game i was at and a memorably bad play.  

Not the worst in history, but as someone else mentioned above, that Leodis McKelvin kickoff return fumble against the Pats**** really stands out for me.

Also, the botched onside kick against Dallas in that awesome but ultimately tragic MNF game.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2