Sheldon Richardson or Vernon Butler

2 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

Didn’t Butler restructure? So there wouldn’t be any cap savings from cutting him, might even have a penalty. 

Yes he took less money not a typical restructure.  According to online resources it’s a $3.3M cap savings to cut him or $4M to trade him.  

2 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Not enough of an upgrade to justify screwing a guy who took less money to stay. I know it's a business, but it's still a business amongst human beings, right?

Completely agree, optics matter, that would send a terrible message to future FAs. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Not enough of an upgrade to justify screwing a guy who took less money to stay. I know it's a business, but it's still a business amongst human beings, right?

I believe the terminology Brandon Beane uses is it’s a “people driven business.” 

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

If Richardson were willing to sign for 1yr / $3.3M, which is the cap savings from cutting Butler, would you make this move?

Are there any other players you would consider cutting to make room to sign an FA?

Richardson is a 3T. He’s a very good locker room presence.  As a player he is definitely starting caliber and I expect he eventually gets paid that way.  While he might not have been worth the $12.3M he was due, there is a slim to no chance he plays for $3.3M.  Also people make a good point about not screwing over a player that just reworked his deal. 

If they pick up a DT at this point it would be on the cheap and that person would fight for a job .. Butler could be cut after training camp if beaten out. That is the process. If they bring in a DT it is more likely to be Kawann Short as he checks all the boxes .. knew Beane, knew McDermott, process guy, was Carolina Panther, lived in the Tar Heel State, would likely sign a prove it deal, knows the words to the Panthers fight song, and knows the best restaurants in Charlotte

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

If Richardson were willing to sign for 1yr / $3.3M, which is the cap savings from cutting Butler, would you make this move?

Are there any other players you would consider cutting to make room to sign an FA?

If it can be done (never underestimate the Beane counter) & it's a good deal for the Bills and could have better results for the move Beane will be all over it ...

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I seriously doubt anything substantive happens at this point.  Possibly post June 1 some guy who is older for depth, but not much else.

Isn't the whole June 1 cut timing not really a big deal anymore because of the optional June 1 designation that is now permitted regardless of when a player is cut?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Richardson is a 3T. He’s a very good locker room presence.  As a player he is definitely starting caliber and I expect he eventually gets paid that way.  While he might not have been worth the $12.3M he was due, there is a slim to no chance he plays for $3.3M.  Also people make a good point about not screwing over a player that just reworked his deal. 

Problem is not many teams have the cap to pay him, which is partly why he has not been picked up since being released.  Taking a guess, if he plays in 2021 it will be in the $3-5M range on a 1yr deal.  Something that should also be noted is that Richardson played 70% of the snaps in the browns system while Butler has averaged less that 40% the last 2 years.

Edited by Weatherman

7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Problem is not many teams have the cap to pay him, which is partly why he has not been picked up since being released.  Taking a guess, if he plays in 2021 it will be in the $3-5M range on a 1yr deal.  

I think he’s waiting for an injury on a competitive team.  He can sign a multi year deal (even a true 1 year deal with voidable years) structured to pay him well this season and spread the hit.  I don’t see him playing for $3M.  Maybe around $5M for the correct team, but he’d have gotten more than that from the Browns.  That might be a pride thing though and that ship looks to have sailed.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Richardson comes across as a guy who puts himself before the team and I can't see that fitting in with what we've built here. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Richardson comes across as a guy who puts himself before the team and I can't see that fitting in with what we've built here. 

That could not be further from the truth.  He was very much a team first leader on the Browns.  Most fans thought he’d be retained due to that more so than his play - which was good, just not in line with the $12.3M he was set to make. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Maybe, but then again players seem to thrive under McDermott leadership.  

There is always a chance that the front office might trade away someone in order to pick up someone that could improve the team. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Won't necessarily be a DT for a DT, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That could not be further from the truth.  He was very much a team first leader on the Browns.  Most fans thought he’d be retained due to that more so than his play - which was good, just not in line with the $12.3M he was set to make. 

Agree it was 100% a salary cap move.  The guy was an important player for the Browns last year as evident by his onfield %.  I remember he had some issues with the Jets, but who hasn’t? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1