Punter question

5 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

I remember hearing that Bojo was not retained because he “did not want to be here” (something like that). Although he was inconsistent he had a big leg and I wondered if anyone read or heard more on this. 
On a side note he was not the worlds best “holder” for our other kicker. It made me think how that position has evolved. For a while it was quarterbacks that held and now it is a lot of punters. Question  for old timers, do I remember correctly that at one time Bob Chandler was the holder?

Absolutely he was.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Oh, ouch.  Then he should’ve gone wherever he had the best chance to make a team

It is that which makes me think he didn't have many options. I mean there is a chance that Hekker gets cut for cap reasons:

Hekker on the team = $4.9m on the cap

Bojo on the team = $3.3m on the cap ($2.3m dead cap from Hekker plus $1m cap hit for Bojo)

But that is the only way Bojo is getting that job. Feels an odd place to go if you have other options. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In my view, we dodged a bullet when Bojo was unreasonable on money.  As we all know, he started off here really poorly-- with mistakes that went well beyond punting (bad holds, dropping snaps, kicks blocked).  I think he seemed to turn it around a little last year-- but I am not sure anyone was super confident with him on the field. He has a big leg, but would outkick coverage; he was still prone to shank; and other than one absolutely gorgeous coffin corner kick, he wasn't great at pinning teams inside the 10.  I also think his success last year was skewed a little given his sample size also shrunk. 

In the end, I think he was an okay option-- but I am much more excited about the new guy, who seems like a guy with much more skill and finesse in pinning teams deep (which, in my view, is more valuable that booming your occasional 65-yard punts). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like the fact that Matt Haack is already working with Isaiah McKenzie. 

He will never punt to him and McKenzie does not take many snaps on special teams but it shows him trying to bond with players already.

Now if only if Webb had invited the two of them to their off season workout.

He worked out with "Kohl's Professional Camps" before and I hope he books some time with them.

38 minutes ago, mattynh said:

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/03/17/buffalo-bills-levi-wallaces-return-improves-depth-cornerback/

This article makes a good point, we can expect less touhbacks with Haack.

Think you pasted wrong link.

https://buffalowdown.com/2021/03/18/grade-for-the-buffalo-bills-signing-punter-matt-haack/

In his career, Haack has an average of 44.7 yards per punt which isn’t necessarily the longest but what he is very accurate with his punts. He has an average of 37.4% of his punts being downed inside the 20 yard line. What is more impressive is that while he has 114 punts that landed inside the 20 he has had only 15 touchbacks. In the past two seasons, he has had a touchback rate under 3.0% while Corey Bojorquez last season was over 10%.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

I remember hearing on OBL that the issue was performance...and not stats.   Speculation was maybe he did not always execute the punt that was expected.  Which I think lines up with the consistency issue.

he couldn’t pin thrm inside the 10 on punts.  It was lays touchback or worse.

if hep,a YS in LA he has better pu t stats on yardage dam the end zone thing.

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I actually heard the same thing Toledo Bill heard - though I don't recall if it was a solid source.  Money was part of the problem but so was geography.  Supposedly, he preferred to be closer to his home/family in California.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I was sad to see him go.  That kid can kick the crap out of a football!

He's going to be really close to his family because he is not making the Rams 53 man roster. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

I remember hearing that Bojo was not retained because he “did not want to be here” (something like that). Although he was inconsistent he had a big leg and I wondered if anyone read or heard more on this. 
On a side note he was not the worlds best “holder” for our other kicker. It made me think how that position has evolved. For a while it was quarterbacks that held and now it is a lot of punters. Question  for old timers, do I remember correctly that at one time Bob Chandler was the holder?

The inability to be a top notch holder cannot be one of the primary reasons that Bojo was allowed to walk -- I heard Tony Romo say that proficiency at this skill was just not very important ... he would know.