Jump to content

The Athletic NFL offseason summary - high praise for Bills FO


Recommended Posts

https://theathletic.com/2494539/2021/04/06/nfl-offseason-head-scratchers-great-moves-and-leaps-things-weve-learned-for-all-32-nfl-teams/?source=dailyemail

 

Quote

Buffalo Bills: They might have the best front office in the NFL.

The Bills’ focus was on retaining their own players. Buffalo was able to bring back right tackle Daryl Williams, linebacker Matt Milano and interior offensive lineman Jon Feliciano without overpaying. Williams’ $8 million average annual value (AAV) ranks outside the top 10 players at his position. Among the 23 players who logged at least 500 snaps for the Bills last season, 21 are back. The Bills also signed Mitchell Trubisky to a one-year, $2.5 million deal and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders to a one-year, $6 million deal.

“I think if you look at them for the last two, three years now, I think you can make a pretty strong argument that this is the best front office in the NFL,” said Fitzgerald.

“They took over such a bad situation when they came in with Tyrod Taylor, Marcell Dareus and that whole group that was there on bloated contracts. They’ve maneuvered that better than any team that’s ever had to come into a situation. That one year, they were probably carrying like $50, $60 million in dead cap just trying to get the roster apart.”

It’s true that the biggest reason why the Bills are Super Bowl contenders is the development of Josh Allen. But even if Allen hadn’t progressed the way he did, Bills GM Brandon Beane assembled a roster that could help another quarterback be successful. Buffalo leads the NFL in MTMS (Moves That Make Sense).

 

  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The FO has been simply outstanding.  The difficult thing right now is that we are chasing other really, really good teams. Not saying the Bills can’t or won’t get to the top of the mountain but with JA about to hit the big contract the easy climbing may be over with.

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevewin said:

“They took over such a bad situation when they came in with Tyrod Taylor, Marcell Dareus and that whole group that was there on bloated contracts. They’ve maneuvered that better than any team that’s ever had to come into a situation. That one year, they were probably carrying like $50, $60 million in dead cap just trying to get the roster apart.”

“They decided to take on that dead cap and it caused problems for them. They could have been competitive had they just tried to add to the roster.” 
 

Too many posters on here. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

“They decided to take on that dead cap and it caused problems for them. They could have been competitive had they just tried to add to the roster.” 
 

Too many posters on here. 

 

They made that playoffs that year when everyone thought they were tanking!

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevewin said:

This is a lie says people on here. The focus on ST? The misuse of cap space on players not worthy? Beane/McDermott keeping guys they should clearly release outright?

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I've said before us Bills fans need to thank our "Lucky Stars" for Beane/McDermott and the rest.

 

This is as good a place as any to get a thing or two off my chest concerning the upcoming season.

 

1.  What is it with the obsession of all thing Kansas City Chiefs?  I understand they lost 2 games to them last year but it's

becoming a mental condition this off season.  The Chiefs were miles ahead of the Bills at the end of the 2019 season.

That distance has been closed faster than I could of imagined!

 

Now it's KC this and KC that.  Bills need to trade everything for a TE.  Bills got to get a Tyreek Hill 2.0.  Beane needs to completely

retool the entire DL.  I don't want Beane and McDermott to think that way at all.  They need to build the team in their own vision

NOT some KC Chiefs 2.0 version.  I want a team molded in the fashion of the Buffalo Bills and nobody else.

 

2.  All this Brandon Beane has to go "ALL IN" before Josh Allen signs an extension talk is not what I want to see at all.

I really appreciate Beane's commitment to build a perennial winner and not a flash in the pan team.   McDermott and him have taken

this team to a level I have never seen in all my years of fandom including the AFC Championship teams.  I say let them do what

they think is best for the present and the future.

 

 

While opinions, comments and criticisms is a Buffalo Bills fans right I've got to say truthfully that not one fan could of done a better

job as these guys have done so far.   I for one am "ALL IN" in watching what they do next and hoping for a bigger and a better future.

 

Thanks Brandon and Sean and all the others!        Go Bills.

  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Colorado. Chiefs are a good team, not a great team, not even close. It’s not necessary to build a team to beat them, you just have to punch the Rat in the face.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

“They decided to take on that dead cap and it caused problems for them. They could have been competitive had they just tried to add to the roster.” 
 

Too many posters on here. 

 

They could. I think they made the right decision and I said that at the time. But reloading was an option. They went 9-7 and then 6-10 while pulling the thing apart. They could definitely have been competitive had they just tried to keep the foundation and reload. But they didn't want to "be competitive" they wanted to try and win a Championship. I was always in full support of the tear down, indeed my worry going into 2017 was they had middled it a bit and not torn down enough and we'd be too mediocre and not enough bad. As it happened they got some breaks and broke the drought. It was a choice they made to tear down. It was the right choice.

46 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well said Colorado. Chiefs are a good team, not a great team, not even close. It’s not necessary to build a team to beat them, you just have to punch the Rat in the face.

 

That is easy to say and still pretty hard to do. The two teams that beat Mahomes last year got pressure on more than 50% of his dropbacks. That is the kind of number you have to reach. That ain't easy.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It really all started with them picking the right QB. I think if this team didn't have a guy like Josh these guys wouldn't have all signed back with the Bills.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

They could. I think they made the right decision and I said that at the time. But reloading was an option. They went 9-7 and then 6-10 while pulling the thing apart. They could definitely have been competitive had they just tried to keep the foundation and reload. But they didn't want to "be competitive" they wanted to try and win a Championship. I was always in full support of the tear down, indeed my worry going into 2017 was they had middled it a bit and not torn down enough and we'd be too mediocre and not enough bad. As it happened they got some breaks and broke the drought. It was a choice they made to tear down. It was the right choice.

 

That is easy to say and still pretty hard to do. The two teams that beat Mahomes last year got pressure on more than 50% of his dropbacks. That is the kind of number you have to reach. That ain't easy.

It’s more about mindset than anything. You either want to hit him or you don’t. You either let their DB slam Diggs to the turf or you slam Hill to the turf first. You let Chris Jones cheap shot you or you cheap shot him first. The question is how bad do you want to beat them? After last year, I would think pretty bad. It all starts with McD.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rico said:

It’s more about mindset than anything. You either want to hit him or you don’t. You either let their DB slam Diggs to the turf or you slam Hill to the turf first. You let Chris Jones cheap shot you or you cheap shot him first. The question is how bad do you want to beat them? After last year, I would think pretty bad. It all starts with McD.

 

All the desire in the world doesn't change anything if you are outmatched by talent. The Bills need more difference makers.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

All the desire in the world doesn't change anything if you are outmatched by talent. The Bills need more difference makers.

I have no problem adding more difference makers... but as it stands right now, there is absolutely no team in the NFL that should scare or intimidate the Bills. Not a one.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rico said:

I have no problem adding more difference makers... but as it stands right now, there is absolutely no team in the NFL that should scare or intimidate the Bills. Not a one.

 

I never said there was. I just don't think it as simple as going all rah rah and talking about punching them in the mouth. You have find ways to expose their weaknesses without fundamentally changing who you are as a team. Some of that just requires having more guys who can win their individual match ups against the guys Kansas City has.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing that could happen this year is if their high picks, Edwards and Oliver, become stars rather than just good players and Knox and Ford become good players rather than question marks.  Development of their young players and adding to the base of "their drafted guys" will allow the rookies they add to grow and develop and do away with the need to hit the mid level free agency market every year. If that happens, we'll have sustained success and this front office will be transcendent.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

All the desire in the world doesn't change anything if you are outmatched by talent. The Bills need more difference makers.

 

Talent is great when it works together.  I'm sure Andy Reid would agree after the 2011 Eagles "Dream Team".

 

I'm still waiting to see the final rosters of all the AFC Playoff caliber teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Talent is great when it works together.  I'm sure Andy Reid would agree after the 2011 Eagles "Dream Team".

 

I'm still waiting to see the final rosters of all the AFC Playoff caliber teams.

I’ll say another thing, if McD is intimidated at all about going up against his fat ***** of a mentor, he needs to get over that NOW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I’ll say another thing, if McD is intimidated at all about going up against his fat ***** of a mentor, he needs to get over that NOW.

 

I don't think he is at all.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Talent is great when it works together.  I'm sure Andy Reid would agree after the 2011 Eagles "Dream Team".

 

I'm still waiting to see the final rosters of all the AFC Playoff caliber teams.

 

Oh you can't have talent without anything else. But there is always a point at which talent wins out. 

 

The other factor with the dream team was a lot of those were bigger names than they were talents.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...