New Jets WR Corey Davis insinuates that Sam Darnold will be the Jets' starting QB in 2021

Logic

Good, because Sam is not nearly as good as our QB, but hell, all of the teams in our division suffer that very same reality... 

USC QB I think that says it all ;) 

I was praying he wouldn't be there when the Bills picked......I wanted Baker or Josh Allen.

The three I didn't want were Sam , the wrong Josh or Jackson

BTW I hope he starts again this year he just doesn't look good.

Edited by JMF2006

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My dream scenario would be to have Darnold, Tua, and Newton be the starting AFC East QB's next year.  I don't want Watson or Z. Wilson in our division.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This already happened.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The year was 2020.  Darnold/Newton/Tua already happened.  Your dream came true....

Look at the bold.

14 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they move on from Sam and take Zach Wilson with the #2 pick. 

Cris Sims agrees and sees Wilson as the clear best qb in this class, and said he has superstar talent. Sees Jets running to the podium if Jags stick w Trevor. 

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Sam's stock is the lowest it's ever been. You can draft a 1st rd QB and let him sit for a year and try to rehab Darnold's trade value.

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly happy being a backup; maybe that’s his calling.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

even if that is, say, 95% impossible?

Watched a lot of Zack Wilson film, huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I would either trade out of it or take Sewell and build around Sam. 

The Jets drafted a LT (Becton) last year and he is an absolute stud.  They are not in the Penei Sewell market.

Just now, BruceVilanch said:

ahh, I forgot about that, yeah, Becton is going to be an All Pro in the next few years.

Sewell is going to be good; it’s too bad he sat out this year.  Could see him landing with the Bengals...

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Sewell is going to be good; it’s too bad he sat out this year.

Yeah, it's crazy that he's only 20 years old and was dominating guys in D1 at 18 and 19. and as a big Ducks fan, it was hugely disappointing not watching him play, it's rare that I focused on OL and he caught my eye every game, he bull dozed guys on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly happy being a backup; maybe that’s his calling.

Watched a lot of Zack Wilson film, huh?

No I've still got a ton of Dan Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky and Paxton Lynch film to plow through.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I've still got a ton of Dan Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky and Paxton Lynch film to plow through.

They sucked, ergo Wilson sucks?  That’s your argument?

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The difference between a QB looking “ok” with poor to middling receivers and very good with some real weapons can be surprising.  See how much better Josh Allen was when he got some receivers who could get open frequently?

From the get-go, Allen demonstrated remarkable leadership and the ability to learn from his mistakes even when he was a raw, poorly coached rookie on a team with limited offensive talent.   Allen's improvement between his rookie and sophomore seasons was remarkable, and last year, he successfully mastered his tendency to play "hero ball".   Darnold is essentially still the same QB he was a rookie, which suggests that he's not going to get better. 

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't know it was early September already.  Jets would be nuts to continue with Darnold who still is seeing ghosts.  Dolphins have more ammunition than any to go and get Watson who could be had at a discount now.  The Pats pry stick with Newton but will bring in someone to compete with him in training camp.  I don't know if that's a draft pick or they swing a trade for Garappalo.  Maybe they bring in Mariota.  

Why would Belichick want Garappalo back?   Is he better than Cam at this point in their careers?  Probably, but he's not worth his contract or whatever the Pats would have to give up to get him.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think they could see the success the Bills have had developing Allen and believe they could do the same thing with Trey Lance. He has similar traits and flaws.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the shows on NFLN had a piece on Lance, and brought up the comparisons to Allen.  One of the commentators called Josh Allen a unicorn - the mythical beast GM/HC hopes to find but rarely does.   Every draft there's probably at least one "project" QB with tons of raw talent that teams hope can become a great QB by refining his skills, but almost none of them ever actually do.  I think there have only been 3 in the last 20 years who have truly turned into great QBs ...  Tom Brady (2000 - 6th round), Tony Romo (2003 - UDFA), and Josh Allen (2018 - 1st round).  

Somebody will probably spend a first round pick on Lance, but the chances of him becoming a great QB are pretty miniscule.

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Does anyone think theres some chance they draft Pitts?

Everyone in the AFC East knows how much of a game changer a top TE is. They are almost as hard to find as a good QB.

I think that TE is a position much like interior OLers: you can find good/great ones well outside of the first round ... and frequently outside the first round.

17 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they take Wilson. I just threw Fields in their as another option. Lawrence will go #1 . I think Wilson is the pick at #2. We will find out.

Agreed.  Them taking a QB is my bet too.  It’s that or they’re trading out with a team that will.  Side note: The coaches and front office in Jersey aren’t consulting Corey Davis about whether or not to draft a QB this year. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1