Bills FA Strategy - Bargain Hunting

It’s become apparently obvious that this is the Bill approach to FA this year.   After the first day and 1/4 it looks like a majority of teams are at above or nearly capped out.  Only a couple teams still have more than $20M in space and no one wants to play for them unless they way over pay.

My forecast:  We won’t see any moves until day 3/4 when the deep discounts are available.  We will add a WR #2, DE rotation,  #1 RB, punter, OL rotation help, #2 TE. 

Sit back and enjoy watching teams hamstring themselves in a cap strapped year.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Could be right.  If that’s the case, I just hope we don’t spend 8-10M on the next Mario Addison, Star or Trent murphy.   It’s ok to get the 2nd tier guys.....as long as they don’t suck.  We have to get production from them.  It worked great with Hyde and Poyer a few years ago (although they didn’t wait to sign them, they just didn’t pay a lot).

if we don’t add a Houston, Dunlap, Reddick, Clowney or Kerrigan, I’ll be worried that we didn’t do enough to address the pass rush.

if we go spend some money or rd 1-2 draft pick on a corner, I’ll be happy though.  Levi should go and be replaced with an athlete that can hit, run and be physical.  I truly feel that he was a big part of our problem on d.  Not because  he can’t play zone.....but because he can’t play man.  We need to have the ability to be versatile on both sides of the ball.  Last year we were completely one dimensional in both sides of the ball.....and that’s why we got blown out in the AFCCG imo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Could be right.  If that’s the case, I just hope we don’t spend 8-10M on the next Mario Addison, Star or Trent murphy.   It’s ok to get the 2nd tier guys.....as long as they don’t suck.  We have to get production from them.  It worked great with Hyde and Poyer a few years ago (although they didn’t wait to sign them, they just didn’t pay a lot).

if we don’t add a Houston, Dunlap, Reddick, Clowney or Kerrigan, I’ll be worried that we didn’t do enough to address the pass rush.

if we go spend some money or rd 1-2 draft pick on a corner, I’ll be happy though.  Levi should go and be replaced with an athlete that can hit, run and be physical.  I truly feel that he was a big part of our problem on d.  Not because  he can’t play zone.....but because he can’t play man.  We need to have the ability to be versatile on both sides of the ball.  Last year we were completely one dimensional in both sides of the ball.....and that’s why we got blown out in the AFCCG imo.

Kerrigan is the guy I'd like to have in the fold tbh. Yes he's 32, but played only 397 snaps last year and still put up 5.5 sacks. He could easily replicate a Lawson type of production. If he comes at the right price then I would sign him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I put this post in the wrong thread. When I saw this thread title I realized it belongs here. Sorry for duplication 

Say you need a new coat before next winter.  You go to your favorite coat emporium and they are having one of those sales where the coats are 10% off this week, 20% off next week, and so on up to 80% off in June.  

If you fall fall in love with a particular coat you may be tempted to buy it at only 10% off.  If you are patient and realize that most all of the coats will keep you warm, you wait it out.

So, must we have one of these coats before it gets snapped up by other shoppers or will the bargain coats work for our remaining needs?  Seems to me like we are waiting for the less flashy, functional players..... on the cheap when those players start to get nervous that they may not find a chair once the music stops

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Big splashy signings, by talent deprived teams day one or two have fans worried there will be limited options for us,

but this is a different year. There's plenty of inventory and limited cap space. Beane will get an edge and a back guaranteed. 

“An edge”——-we got “an edge” last year named Mario Addison. Let’s hope we get a better one this year

Just now, NewEra said:

“An edge”——-we got “an edge” last year named Mario Addison. Let’s hope we get a better one this year

We whiffed on every defensive FA signing and still competed for a championship. Can you imagine if we actually got someone who made an impact.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

It’s become apparently obvious that this is the Bill approach to FA this year.   After the first day and 1/4 it looks like a majority of teams are at above or nearly capped out.  Only a couple teams still have more than $20M in space and no one wants to play for them unless they way over pay.

My forecast:  We won’t see any moves until day 3/4 when the deep discounts are available.  We will add a WR #2, DE rotation,  #1 RB, punter, OL rotation help, #2 TE. 

Sit back and enjoy watching teams hamstring themselves in a cap strapped year.  

Why do you say this? Teams seem to be able to sign who they want? Most likely this years cap number is small then increasing next season. I guess it's ok when Bills sign players to big contracts but not other teams?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Enough? Or anything to address the pass rush? 

Enough to address the pass rush.  We still need a WR and CB......and we still haven’t upgraded the run game at all.  Still lots of work to do imo

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Big splashy signings, by talent deprived teams day one or two have fans worried there will be limited options for us,

but this is a different year. There's plenty of inventory and limited cap space. Beane will get an edge and a back guaranteed. 

I'm more worried about Thuney to Chiefs and Dupree to Titans. That's 2 of the top teams in the AFC signing 2 of the best FAs. 

Spotrac says the Bills have 10 mm in estimated cap space (although I don't see Feliciano on there). With available cap space we could barely afford a WR2 let alone the rest of what OP was hoping we'd sign. Beane's "splash" was keeping Milano, Williams, and Feliciano. 

Just now, nucci said:

Why do you say this? Teams seem to be able to sign who they want? Most likely this years cap number is small then increasing next season. I guess it's ok when Bills sign players to big contracts but not other teams?

Most teams are kicking the can down the road.  I think next year the Chiefs are going to be in a world of hurt, same with Tampa, Chicago, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.  Beane is playing it smart which is being confused with being cheap / conservative.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, Weatherman said:

Most teams are kicking the can down the road.  I think next year the Chiefs are going to be in a world of hurt, same with Tampa, Chicago, New Orleans, Dallas, etc.  Beane is playing it smart which is being confused with being cheap / conservative.  

Yet teams seem to find ways around the cap every year

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

A world of hurt? Haven’t you realized the cap is incredibly manipulative? They’ll be fine. 

Like the Saints or Cheats last year.  Scotty Doesn’t Know! 

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yet teams seem to find ways around the cap every year

They are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table to win a SB this year.  I don’t think the Bills are ready to push quite yet.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

They are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table to win a SB this year.  I don’t think the Bills are ready to push quite yet.  

The Bills aren't pushing to win a SB this year?

• Haha (+1) 1

Perhaps we should accept that we won’t have a physical top 5 defense and load up on offense from here on out.

Fill CB2 in free agency.

Draft offense and Star’s replacement.

Edited by The Governor
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm more worried about Thuney to Chiefs and Dupree to Titans. That's 2 of the top teams in the AFC signing 2 of the best FAs. 

Spotrac says the Bills have 10 mm in estimated cap space (although I don't see Feliciano on there). With available cap space we could barely afford a WR2 let alone the rest of what OP was hoping we'd sign. Beane's "splash" was keeping Milano, Williams, and Feliciano. 

Always have options for freeing up capspace. Haven't even considered restructuring Diggs, White and cutting Star.

• Like (+1) 1