Stimulus Checks.

Irv

18 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The other thing, touting a stat line about lifting half of all children out of poverty to gain favor  means you’ll need one of these perpetually quarterly or annually  to avoid returning them to poverty. Or they know it’s a short term prop up. But we should all know this was a snapshot talking point. Not a solution. 

it’s sad watching politicians do mind game spin commercials with real people’s lives. They are all so sleazy.  

It's a reversal of Clinton's "end of welfare as we know it" bill. 

Make no mistake, this isn't temporary. 

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Pisses me off because I don't qualify, by much....I imagine 90% of the people who don't like it won't get it. 

I won’t get it either. I’m actually fine with the check people are getting and glad it phases out. $1400 isn’t doing anything for me. If it helps people get on their feet, no problem.  

I think it’s sort of bribe money to look The other way while the 1.5 trillion dollars in special interest money gets blown.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Pisses me off because I don't qualify, by much....I imagine 90% of the people who don't like it won't get it. 

Open an IRA and make a 2020 contribution if you can. Make a 2020 HSA contribution if you have an HSA.

If you’re close and could do both of those that would lower you 2020 AGI at least.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

What's wrong with mean's testing?  

It creates a situation where it leaves out some people who need help because of the pandemic.  You can make more than 80k a year and still fall behind on your mortgage or rent especially if you live in states with a higher cost of living.

It also creates more animosity between Americans that fall into different economic groups.  Like you see in some of the comments above.  Also, if you’re a trickle down economics fan then you should welcome stimulus checks for everyone.  

So glad enough people got over the stigma of the government helping out the citizens, so that this can jump start the economy so people can get back to working. Well, before automation takes the jobs away again and the government will have to just pay people more 

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It creates a situation where it leaves out some people who need help because of the pandemic.  You can make more than 80k a year and still fall behind on your mortgage or rent especially if you live in states with a higher cost of living.

It also creates more animosity between Americans that fall into different economic groups.  Like you see in some of the comments above.  Also, if you’re a trickle down economics fan then you should welcome stimulus checks for everyone.  

So let me ask you. If you make $80k and get a check for $1,400 this will likely get you caught up one month on your mortgage. Then what?  This is more of a way to stimulate the economy.  The whole “help struggling families” is really dumb and a farce.  So you know the best way to stimulate the economy.  Open back up.  Restaurants here in OC CA have been open and full in defiance of Newsom’s order for months.  Has there a spike in cases?  Nope. As a matter of fact we’re moving into the red tier tomorrow and ALLOWING restaurants to do what they already have been.  

And if you’re working and you can’t pay your mortgage you couldn’t afford the home to begin with. Now if you lost a $120k job due to the pandemic and had to take a 30% cut in pay that’s different. But again $1,400 won’t last long. Then you’re right back where you started. Politicians are idiots.  Both sides. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

So let me ask you. If you make $80k and get a check for $1,400 this will likely get you caught up one month on your mortgage. Then what?  This is more of a way to stimulate the economy.  The whole “help struggling families” is really dumb and a farce.  So you know the best way to stimulate the economy.  Open back up.  Restaurants here in OC CA have been open and full in defiance of Newsom’s order for months.  Has there a spike in cases?  Nope. As a matter of fact we’re moving into the red tier tomorrow and ALLOWING restaurants to do what they already have been.  

And if you’re working and you can’t pay your mortgage you couldn’t afford the home to begin with. Now if you lost a $120k job due to the pandemic and had to take a 30% cut in pay that’s different. But again $1,400 won’t last long. Then you’re right back where you started. Politicians are idiots.  Both sides. 

You pay what debt you can because the pandemic caused you to fall behind.  It's better than nothing.  It's the final relief bill that will be passed minus some unexpected variant in the virus.  States are opening back up.  Restaurants are allowed at 75% capacity here in a few days.  Unemployment rates are going down 

Like oldmanfan said.  If you don't need the money you can give it to charity, invest it, take a vacation, etc...  All of this helps society as a whole.  Why means test the checks and just create more class warfare?  

46 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

1400 bucks is just hush money, the other 91% of stimulus is probably being

laundered back to the democrat cartel.

Probably? More like definitely! Once again, the taxpayers get screwed. But we’re REALLY used to it. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Like oldmanfan said.  If you don't need the money you can give it to charity, invest it, take a vacation, etc...  All of this helps society as a whole.  Why means test the checks and just create more class warfare?  

Bush gave $300 tax rebate checks in 2001. I got mine just after 9/11.  Gave it to the Salvation Army  in NYC because I saw all they were doing for the  people working at ground zero.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, KzooMike said:

I'll get it but mock it unmercifully...handing out money you don't have

to people who might need it?

They should just give walmart gift cards, that's probably where a bulk of stimulus checks are going.

Total clown show.

Edited by Unforgiven

On 3/12/2021 at 6:35 PM, Backintheday544 said:

Open an IRA and make a 2020 contribution if you can. Make a 2020 HSA contribution if you have an HSA.

If you’re close and could do both of those that would lower you 2020 AGI at least.

Most know here what I do for a living.  I sent an email to my top clients regarding the Bill.  I went of the parts that would be of most interest to them.  Regarding the $1400 I told them that I'm not going to tell them what to do with the check if they get one (and most won't).  But the bribe, I mean payola errrrr check was to help "struggling" families or to stimulate the economy. So if they are not struggling (and none of them are) to use their check for local businesses.  Please don't use it in your IRA or HSA.  Spend it!  

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

They should just give walmart gift cards, that's probably where a bulk of stimulus checks are going.

Total clown show.

If you're gonna spend it please spend it on local businesses.  I've been hitting local restaurants a lot lately.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

Total clown show.

I saw a story today where some lady used it to score Fentanyl which her two year old son then unknowingly took from her purse while she was passed out, ate and the died. 

#stimulus... 

11 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Most know here what I do for a living.  I sent an email to my top clients regarding the Bill.  I went of the parts that would be of most interest to them.  Regarding the $1400 I told them that I'm not going to tell them what to do with the check if they get one (and most won't).  But the bribe, I mean payola errrrr check was to help "struggling" families or to stimulate the economy. So if they are not struggling (and none of them are) to use their check for local businesses.  Please don't use it in your IRA or HSA.  Spend it!  

If you're gonna spend it please spend it on local businesses.  I've been hitting local restaurants a lot lately.  

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I saw a story today where some lady used it to score Fentanyl which her two year old son then unknowingly took from her purse while she was passed out, ate and the died. 

#stimulus... 

Whine, whine, whine ....   how dare the US government give some aid to Americans who aren't millionaires or to businesses that produce millions in profits!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree spend it. My comment was ways to reduce your AGI to get below the $150,000 threshold.

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Whine, whine, whine ....   how dare the US government give some aid to Americans who aren't millionaires or to businesses that produce millions in profits!

Whine?  Did you even read my post or because I’m conservative you just jumped to a conclusion that you didn’t like my post without reading it?  So point out the issues you have with what I said. 

3 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

I agree spend it. My comment was ways to reduce your AGI to get below the $150,000 threshold.

Question.  Someone who has $$ to fund an IRA (as much as $14k for a married couple over 50)?  Do they need a stimulus check from the government?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Whine?  Did you even read my post or because I’m conservative you just jumped to a conclusion that you didn’t like my post without reading it?  So point out the issues you have with what I said. 

Question.  Someone who has $$ to fund an IRA (as much as $14k for a married couple over 50)?  Do they need a stimulus check from the government?  

They don’t, but the local bakery that’s struggling that they wouldn’t have gone to does. Or the retailer that is having issues staying open because people have been tighter with their money does. Or a movie theater where you can now rent out a space could use it, again superfluous purchase for the person getting the stimulus but much needed cash for the local theater.

You should be trying to bring in as much money into the local community to help the local businesses. Even if a person makes $160,000, does a $10,000 contribution to their retirement, they now have $2,800 of stimulus funds that they’re going to spend at a business. That business will use those funds to keep the lights on.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

They don’t, but the local bakery that’s struggling that they wouldn’t have gone to does. Or the retailer that is having issues staying open because people have been tighter with their money does. Or a movie theater where you can now rent out a space could use it, again superfluous purchase for the person getting the stimulus but much needed cash for the local theater.

You should be trying to bring in as much money into the local community to help the local businesses. Even if a person makes $160,000, does a $10,000 contribution to their retirement, they now have $2,800 of stimulus funds that they’re going to spend at a business. That business will use those funds to keep the lights on.

Then help the struggling businesses directly to the business in the forms of forgivable loans.  Let them open to full capacity or at least a higher capacity.  Our gyms just reopened after being shuttered for nearly 6 months.  But only at a 10% capacity.  

Why use the consumer middleman?  To me it’s simple.  So Americans can look to the government and say “thank you!  Thank you for my government cheese!  I am forever in debt to you!”   It’s all about control. 

And again a couple making $160k doesn’t need my money to spend.  Incentivize them.  Keep your receipts.  Any money you spent on a local business is a tax deduction. Get creative.  Don’t just hand out money! 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3