Brandon Beane at Clemson pro day

Well this has been fun reading.  Someone on here mentioned before in FA, if there are the $ you plug holes, but don’t overpay.  What we do in FA will determine what we’ll do in the draft.  The Captain obvious answer that has even been eluded to by Beane is we need a rushing game, more production from the TE, and the ability to get a rush with four.

we’re deep still even with Brown gone in receiving, we have solid LBers, and our secondary is our strength in defense.  No TE will be available at pick 30 that’s worth it (find the $ for Jonnu Smith is my vote).  Can we really find an effective edge rusher at 30 (I doubt it), so if we can get a high impact RB at 30 like Ettiene, I don’t see why not.  If we have an elite O Lineman dropping to us that could impact the running game, ok.

Im not in the camp of draft Ettiene no matter what, nor am I against it.  It just depends how big of a run will QB’s go in this draft, edge rushers, elite O Lineman, etc.  What people do above us will influence who we take.

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Last I checked Fournette was scoring touchdowns in the Super Bowl and Singletary was dropping open screen passes in the AFC title game 

Not for the Jaguars he wasn't. And that is the entire point BADOLBILLZ is making and it is a valid one. Nothing wrong with having a good RB. The argument is don't let them take up a lot of your cap (Zeke and Gurley). And don't draft them early when there are harder positions to fill with elite talent. 

I'm anti RB's early but I also desperately want a dynamic playmaker for this offense which seems to be the missing piece on offense. But maybe rather than a guy like Etienne we could go Kadarius Toney for playmaking ability.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not for the Jaguars he wasn't. And that is the entire point BADOLBILLZ is making and it is a valid one. Nothing wrong with having a good RB. The argument is don't let them take up a lot of your cap (Zeke and Gurley). And don't draft them early when there are harder positions to fill with elite talent. 

I'm anti RB's early but I also desperately want a dynamic playmaker for this offense which seems to be the missing piece on offense. But maybe rather than a guy like Etienne we could go Kadarius Toney for playmaking ability.

Good chance Toney is gone by 30.  If they need another playmaker what difference does it make where it comes from?  The attributes would be the same.  A guy with sudden scoring syndrome.   Etienne has that.  Take him or no, but if he’s there at 30 he has to be a consideration.   

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We know Beane is not afraid of moving up in the first round.

Touché, my friend.

they could also try Curtis Samuel in FA.  Then draft Etienne.  Possibilities are endless.  As long as the Bills get more explosive I don’t care how they do it.  Those KC games had me shook.   The difference was stark.

Now, as a side note, they could also choose to get more explosive on the front 4 too. And that MIGHT beat KC. Tampa Bay did that, but I maintain KC would win 6 if those teams played 10 games.

Edited by purple haze

On 3/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

That vert is bad for Etienne and Rodgers.........Allen's placement on passes to RB's is not one of his better attributes........and Singletary(35" vert) has a bigger catch radius than Etienne.

image.png

He can improve upon this, no?

He's improved on everything else. As good as Josh is presently, he'll get better.

If Beane doesn't go RB at #30, it won't be because Josh can't get him the ball. 

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

They definitely need more juice on offense if they expect to throw down with KC.

I don't think Toney is fast enough.    He'd have to be a 4.3 guy to be worth a first.   I think he's nowhere near that.    Elusiveness is nice,  but without speed it doesn't work very well in the NFL.    I've compared him to Peter Warrick......who was a superstar, ankle breaking, tackle shaking WR at Florida State.......but his long speed was a 4.58 40 and he never really materialized into anything more than Cole Beasley.   They've already got one of those.   Nice but not a game breaker.

I think Curtis Samuel could be that guy.........he's a 4.3 guy who could become a top slot WR but also can be a dynamic runner at RB and also is one of the higher rated deep threat WR's.........he's a very interesting player..........no guarantee they could have gotten him.......but it seems less likely now that they put so much money into that Milano contract.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:00 AM, Blokestradamus said:

We also need to talk about America universally adopting "built like a brick shithouse" as a unit of measurement.

Lets get ***** ton on the agenda too. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB

On 3/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

They won't be SB caliber for long if they draft for need and ignore positional value.

I was thrilled when the Chiefs took CEH in round 1 last year........RB availability does not move the Vegas line for a reason.

As fun as it is to see a RB who can break a few long ones and average over 5 yards per carry..........your average pass attempt should be 7-8 yards if you have a good QB.

Handing the ball off is not your best play as much as it is just a necessity to do a certain % of the time.........and that fraction of a yard difference between an average one and an outstanding one just isn't that impactful over the course of a season.   

This might be right in the regular season but as we seen in the playoffs if your 1 demensional your going to struggle against the better teams. 

Ettiene will make our offense matchup proof and all world in my opinion. His abilities in the run gm as well as the pass would open things up for others. 

Our offense was a machine last season now we need to add another weapon or the league will catch up with us. 

8 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

This might be right in the regular season but as we seen in the playoffs if your 1 demensional your going to struggle against the better teams. 

Ettiene will make our offense matchup proof and all world in my opinion. His abilities in the run gm as well as the pass would open things up for others. 

Our offense was a machine last season now we need to add another weapon or the league will catch up with us. 

The Bills RB's were among the better ones in the league in yards after first contact..........they are as good as the Tampa or KC backfields,  neither of which has a sensational RB.  

The problem with the Bills run game was the run blocking.

That isn't going to change with any of these RB's coming out.   None of them is good enough to do squat without better blocking than that.   That needs to be fixed.

And since they brought back Morse and are probably going to start 5 returning players(counting Ford) they are probably going to have to fix it schematically.

With Etienne specifically,   he saw a precipitous drop in his yards per rush last year dropping from a career average of around 7.5 and a 2019 figure of 7.8.....down to 5.4.   He's a little guy with A LOT of mileage on him.  I don't care if he runs a decent 40 after 2 months of rest.   It wouldn't surprise me if Lev Bell could still run that draft season 4.6 but I still know he's not the same RB.  No thanks.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

This draft is screaming for the Bills to take a lineman. 

Wont be sexy, but the return of Ford, along with a top 100 G/C could massively upgrade this offense’s running game - even with Moss/Singletary at RB.  

One thing I’m sure about is that Josh is getting another weapon, somewhere, somehow...  Right now, he’s got 3 WR’s, half a TE and two average RB’s... we’re not going into the season with that. 

Etienne represents the leap in talent you saw when we brought in Diggs this past season. He is that much better than anyone on the roster at running back. This offense is in need of serious balancing and E-T-N would bring that and then some. Najee Harris would be my first choice just because I love his size and power while still running a 4.45 40 but Etienne is very elusive with ridiculous balance. I'm a believer in any back that has back to back 1,600 yard seasons with an 8.0 avg YPC.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:13 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

You are aware the Chiefs played in the Super Bowl AFTER selecting a RB in the first round last year right? 

Yup. And selecting that RB provided the kind of rocket fuel to their team performance that allowed them to go from winning a Super Bowl all the way up to losing one the next year.

I also noticed that they had NOT taken RBs in the 3rd round two years in a row.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, BillsFan1988 said:

Did KC struggle against the better teams in 2019 when they won the Super Bowl despite being 23rd in the league at YPC?

Adding another weapon seems like a good possibility. That it would be a running back is not a necessity.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. And selecting that RB provided the kind of rocket fuel to their team performance that allowed them to go from winning a Super Bowl all the way up to losing one the next year.

I also noticed that they had NOT taken RBs in the 3rd round two years in a row.

Did KC struggle against the better teams in 2019 when they won the Super Bowl despite being 23rd in the league at YPC?

Adding another weapon seems like a good possibility. That it would be a running back is not a necessity.

Ettiene is a much better prospect then CEH . With that being said we're not KC people need to stop comparing the 2 teams not fair for either of them. 

On 3/13/2021 at 12:41 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We know Beane is not afraid of moving up in the first round.

The only time that Beane or McDermott have done that is when they spent the previous year accumulating massive amounts of draft capital with the intention of trading up for a franchise QB.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Ettiene is a much better prospect then CEH . With that being said we're not KC people need to stop comparing the 2 teams not fair for either of them. 

Maybe. Maybe not. Opinion. IMO if he were all that much better, he wouldn't be in play when we pick around 30th. He wouldn't be in play anywhere near that.

And comparing the behavior of two teams is perfectly fair, especially when replying to someone who said that the Chiefs went to the SB the year after drafting an RB in the first. And again, when the Chiefs picked an RB in the first, they had not picked RBs in the 3rd round the previous two years.

I personally am more interested in countering the Chiefs than copying them, but when a guy suggests we copy them, of course it makes sense to point out the differences between the two situations.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The only time that Beane or McDermott have done that is when they spent the previous year accumulating massive amounts of draft capital with the intention of trading up for a franchise QB.

Maybe. Maybe not. Opinion.

And comparing the behavior of two teams is perfectly fair, especially when replying to someone who said that the Chiefs went to the SB the year after drafting an RB in the first. And again, when the Chiefs picked an RB in the first, they had not picked RBs in the 3rd round the previous two years.

I personally am more interested in countering the Chiefs than copying them, but when a guy suggests we copy them, of course it makes sense to point out the differences between the two situations.

I agree it's better to counter then to copy. I also agree that our blocking wasn't the best last season but I believe it was a mixture of Scheme, Blocking and our backs that didn't allow us to be better more efficient running game. We faced 6 man boxes almost more then any other team and our backs couldn't make those teams pay for it. 

Now we know Singletary and Moss are limited in there skill sets so that might have alot to do with us not running more sophisticated running Schemes. Btw how many times do we need to see Singletary benched during a playoff game to know he's not the answer? He was benched in 2019 vs Houston and also benched vs KC after that crucial dropped pass that in my opinion changed the whole complex of the game. If it's not Ettiene or Harris or even Javonta Williams I would love to see an upgrade in our bkfield somehow. I'm not a believer in Moss or Singletary there just JAGs