[Vague Title] Is this it with cuts/restructures?

12 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Or should we expect more restructures/cuts

I believe the Bills are in wait n see mode with a couple guys . The Bills will go hard for a pass rushing DE if we sign 1 we will cut Addison. We got enough money now to be flexible in free agency and there's still money that can be freed up . So as we go kind of situation. 

This team is not going to become Saints or Eagles unless there is a FA Bills can get agreement with to make it worth pushing money to future years.

See lots of posts about players needing to cut salaries but few will unless they will be out of a job and too much turnover is not good for a team.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, ScottLaw said:

I don’t expect them to do anything FA wise to replace Milano. I think you’ll see them go with Klein and a draft pick there.

Or plan B - pay Milano ... 

They can’t even cut Klein now as his money is mostly guaranteed  for 2021...I could  never see the appeal of that deal from last year... I’m betting they would like to be able to move on from that one...

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Behind the scenes, I’m guessing Beane has already given the offer to Addison’s agent to either take a pay cut or test the market.  Addison doesn’t have the leverage with an underperforming 2020 season. 

I think they will just cut Addison when they sign another DE in free agency...

Edited by Aussie Joe

Probably. They have Epenesa as a backup.  I don’t want to mortgage our future, but if they could find a way with other reductions, and cut Addison, how cool would it be to have Ngakoue, Oliver, Star, and Hughes.  Milano and Edmunds with Edmunds best friend in front of him (Star), and one of the best three D Backs in the league as a unit.  I’d love to see Jackson take the leap this year in the #2 position, and considering we play nickel more than a 4-3, we’d have Taron Johnson, or Dean Marlowe depending upon who’s we’re playing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they will just cut Addison when they sign another DE in free agency...

That is my expectation too.  In general we will see them create cap space as they need it or as they acquire better/cheaper replacements. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills will need more cap space before we go after impact FA’s. Don’t we still have a large list of UFA’s sitting out there?  If we don’t sign our own, still need to replace the player.  Even at NFL minimum, that’s a chunk of change.

Feliciano, Cory B, Marrlow, Wallace, Williams (probably can’t afford), Barkley, McKenzie, Jefferson, Roberts are a few I’d like to see back.  Can’t see them all signing for league minimum.  Only have 7 picks this year (no 4th), not filling out the roster that way.

Except for John Brown, I take it this is the current list of UFA’s:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/buffalo-bills/

When do we have to tender the RFA’s by?  Cory B, Wallace and Boettger? 

Edited by davefan66

I am just curious if we have any chance at all to sign any bigger DE name now.

If I understand it correctly we have something like 13-15mill. cap space after Milano, we can cut Lee Smith for maybe two more, but we still need to sign/replace Williams, Feliciano, McKenzie, Roberts, Wallace, Barkley, Boetger and BoJo right?

I mean even if we do not sign Williams (or any more expensive RT for that matter), these guys or their replacements take all the money right? And even if we somehow restructure somebody it still shouldn't be enough...

So, is there any chance for bigger FA signing now?

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

If I understand it correctly we have something like 13-15mill. cap space after Milano, we can cut Lee Smith for maybe two more, but we still need to sign/replace Williams, Feliciano, McKenzie, Roberts, Wallace, Barkley, Boetger and BoJo right?

I mean even if we do not sign Williams (or any more expensive RT for that matter), these guys or their replacements take all the money right? And even if we somehow restructure somebody it still shouldn't be enough...

Was my question as well.... people are celebrating the Milano signing like it’s a big coup but if it cost you the chance at an elite DE or Williams then I think it was badly misplayed by beane, really bad actually 

• Vomit 1

Just now, Jerboski said:

Was my question as well.... people are celebrating the Milano signing like it’s a big coup but if it cost you the chance at an elite DE or Williams then I think it was badly misplayed by beane, really bad actually 

I do not think that is the case.  There is DE money they can shed to help with the first year cap hit if they sign a young, quality FA DE.  There are also some obvious restructures that can yield a lot of space this season. Dawkins, Diggs and White are the obvious candidates to convert salary into signing bonuses.  The Bills are in very good cap shape as of now. 

30 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Well but the difference is that I am asking a question about our actual options, and (unlike you) I am not saying that Milano signing is bad since we cannot aford DE now.

On 3/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Big Turk said:

That gives us what, about $20 million in cap space right now? $5-6 million to sign draft picks so about $15 million or so for whatever else Beane wants to do...

I read a pretty good write up yesterday some place, may have been The Athletic that stated because we're drafting lower likely draft picks will only cost around $3 mil.  Cap is based on top 51 salaries during off season and likely once you get beyond 3rd round those picks contracts would be lower than what person #48 thru #51 on the roster make today.  So won't factor in.

Found it in The Athletic, Joe B's article,  Think the number went down from yesterday, liekly due to Milano signing, may go lower yet today now with Williams.  Give it another day and the draft picks will need to pay Beane to sign here!

Using the first-year cap hits of the players selected in the same slot in 2020, only the first three of the Bills’ seven picks would qualify for the Top 51. Those picks total $3.83 million in cap space. Removing the three lowest contracts from the Top 51, totaling $2.22 million, makes for a net draft pick allotment of $1.61 million.

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/12/bills-mock-offseason-2021-post-matt-milano-re-signing-predicting-free-agency-cuts-draft-picks/

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yes they can still do it ...although I don’t think it will be one of the very top DE guys...

They can sign someone to a similar  deal to Milano or maybe a bit higher... say 4 years $50M..

Structure it in a way that you are only having a cap hit of $7-8 M Year  1  like Milano...

This new DE makes Addison no longer required so he gets cut saving $6m so they essentially balance out for 2021

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As a backup role playing edge Addison is just fine......so he should take a pay cut

What can he reasonably expect in the current market? Beane holds all the cards here. Take the cut, Mario and still make more than you would as a free agent.