Cowboys and Dak reach deal

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Someone on here must know the highest paid QBs. Does it correlate to winning championships? I always remember Stafford getting that huge payday and then the Lions went absolutely nowhere for years. 

Nope it doesn’t correlate.  If you look back, you will see most SB winners are not the leagues highest paid QBs at the time they won the SB.  

Just look at the last 10 to 20 years where QB contracts have been continuously getting bigger and largest parts of teams caps.  Brady took less money for most of his career to help the team compete.  Manning was cheaper in Denver, Wilson and Mahommes won on rookie deals, Flacco won before he got a big deal, etc etc.  

In the vast majority of SB champions, the QB at the time of that SB was not one of the highest paid QB’s in the league.  

59 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dak led Cowboys were 1-4 and the only one win was because Atlanta choked again and decided to not even attempt to recover an onside kick attempt.  Otherwise they would have been 0-5.  As bad as the offense was after, they actually had a better record with Dalton.

No one will claim Dalton is better option, so that’s not what I am saying.  But...if they are 1-4 or 0-5 team with Dak not being a massive cap hit, how are they supposed to be a SB contender now WITH Dak being a major cap choker?

I get why they paid him, I just don’t think Dak is going to be a guy who can carry a  team when the cap issues restrict their ability to make the roster better around him.

I have a feeling Dallas will be a perennial middle of the road team failing to hit expectations over those 4 years of Daks contract IMHO.  They won’t suck enough to get premium draft picks and they won’t be good enough to challenge for a deep playoff run. 

For the record, they were 2-3. He played most of game 5 and left the game with the Cowboys in the lead (and about to score to take a bigger lead, which they did).  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2020.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dak led Cowboys were 1-4 and the only one win was because Atlanta choked again and decided to not even attempt to recover an onside kick attempt.  Otherwise they would have been 0-5.  As bad as the offense was after, they actually had a better record with Dalton.

No one will claim Dalton is better option, so that’s not what I am saying.  But...if they are 1-4 or 0-5 team with Dak not being a massive cap hit, how are they supposed to be a SB contender now WITH Dak being a major cap choker?

I get why they paid him, I just don’t think Dak is going to be a guy who can carry a  team when the cap issues restrict their ability to make the roster better around him.

I have a feeling Dallas will be a perennial middle of the road team failing to hit expectations over those 4 years of Daks contract IMHO.  They won’t suck enough to get premium draft picks and they won’t be good enough to challenge for a deep playoff run. 

Major Cowboys flop here on this deal... The team is nowhere ready to compete near term. Maybe in Dak's 4th year they will be a legit ready to compete for the conference.. at which point ... same conversation about Dak starts up again, and he will command even more money.

Dallas should have gone with a 6 year deal IMO, the team has too many other holes that they aren't able to fill short term and now won't be able to fill long term (post Dak's 4-year deal).

THANK GOD  Buffalo doesn't have to deal with Jerry Jones in the front office!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, costrovs said:

I don't see why ANY team would be opposed to it. I'm sure some players wont like it.  Tough sh*t, if you got a problem with it, go get a normal job.

Good idea, drive great players towards the NBA and MLB.

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

For the record, they were 2-3. He played most of game 5 and left the game with the Cowboys in the lead (and about to score to take a bigger lead, which they did).  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2020.htm

1-3...my bad and you’re right.  But they also really should have been 0-4 to start the season but Atlanta decided to forget the onside kick recovery rules and for some dumb reason seemed to think it had to go 10 yards before they could recover and didn’t recover the kick.

Edited by Alphadawg7

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1-3...my bad and you’re right.  But they also really should have been 0-4 to start the season but Atlanta decided to forget the onside kick recovery rules and for some dumb reason seemed to think it had to go 10 yards before they could recover and didn’t recover the kick.

The W-L stat is kinda meaningless vis-a-vis Prescott given that in games 2, 3, and 4 the Cowboys' offense put up a mind-boggling 570, 522, and 566 yards and averaged over 36 points per game. 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

why should he?

I don't and he shouldn't take less.  

I’m not saying he should, just that I hope he does. At some point you have to realize your high salary starts impacting the rest of the talent on your team. If Josh or fans can’t understand that, then they shouldn’t cry if we can’t win a Super Bowl with subpar talent. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

10 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

W-L is NEVER meaningless.

W-L is a QB Stat. That is a fact.

It may be a stat, but so is win-loss record for pitchers. Not many who know much about baseball pay much attention to it anymore. The Cowboys lost most of those games because their defense was a sieve. The opposing QBs' ratings in those three games were 126.3, 130.7, and 115.3. In the game against Cleveland, they actually gave up over 300 rushing yards. None of that has to do with Prescott. 

Edited by dave mcbride

17 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Jerry Jones can kiss my ass. What is this, a floor of 45 million per for Josh?

That's up to Josh, but he better take note of what happened to Brees in NO and what's currently happening with Russ in Seattle.  

It's hard to build Championship rosters when 1 player is taking up so much cap room.

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's up to Josh, but he better take note of what happened to Brees in NO and what's currently happening with Russ in Seattle.  

It's hard to build Championship rosters when 1 player is taking up so much cap room.

It seems incredibly clunky to have a player forced to choose between getting paid what he's worth and having a winning team around him.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow! A lot of what you said is just patently wrong.

First off Dak had a 2-3 record not 1-4.

Secondly in those five games he started his offense averaged OVER 36 pts per game!

Wins and losses is the stupidest stat to use when talking about an individual in football.

Dak is a QB and his 'job' is to put up points, which he did by averaging 36. The Cowboys are the team and their job as a team is to win, that and only that, is the correct time to cite W's and L's.

Also the Cowboys couldn't scrape together a decent D even when they weren't paying Dak so not much of a difference. If their is one thing McCarthy knows, it is how not to play defense, also how to ride a QBs coattails.

18 hours ago, 97bills said:

I’m not saying this because I’m a bills fan but Allen is way better then dak. Allen had 0 run game and everyone know what was coming and Allen still carried this team to the AFCC just think if we had Zeke. So I think he will get more then dak especially if he plays the same this year. 

I'd be more interested in if we had a defense than a running game, but both would be really nice. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The W-L stat is kinda meaningless vis-a-vis Prescott given that in games 2, 3, and 4 the Cowboys' offense put up a mind-boggling 570, 522, and 566 yards and averaged over 36 points per game. 

I should clarify, I wasn't trying to imply it was all on Dak.  What I was referencing is that with a more affordable Dak, Dallas still wasn't fielding a very good team.  The ability to rebuild that roster into a true SB contender now with Dak's contract just got that much harder.  

I think for me, I just look at 2019 too and see an 8-8 team that was relatively healthy all year and in the worst division in the NFL.  And I ask myself had Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Mahomes, or even the 2020 version of Josh Allen had been on that team in 2019 as the QB, would they still miss the playoffs or would they have won the division?  And personally, I believe they win that division and make the playoffs with one of those guys.  

I totally get why they paid him though, I mean his stats merit the paycheck.  But, I also feel his stats get inflated when they are down big in games and also against weaker competition, especially playing in that garbage division.  

But hey, I am happy for him...good for him for achieving his goals and getting paid.  I just think that Dallas right now is going to have a hard time truly contending the next 4 years the way that team is made up and with other gaudy contracts like Cooper and Zeke there for part of that time.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, the world should be more like you want it to be. We get it.

But that's not how the players want it. And they have a union. More, the owners do too, if they're serious about winning. If they didn't think QBs were worth it, they wouldn't sign the contracts.

You don't like this? I'm guessing you don't like it when it rains on your day off either. But there's nothing that can be done. The free market working through the CBA comes out like this.

Hey, it's just an idea. I think most players would agree to it, seeing as how there would be more players getting a raise than there would be getting less. Most fans would like it too. And no, I hate when it rains on my day off. 👍

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I should clarify, I wasn't trying to imply it was all on Dak.  What I was referencing is that with a more affordable Dak, Dallas still wasn't fielding a very good team.  The ability to rebuild that roster into a true SB contender now with Dak's contract just got that much harder.  

I think for me, I just look at 2019 too and see an 8-8 team that was relatively healthy all year and in the worst division in the NFL.  And I ask myself had Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Mahomes, or even the 2020 version of Josh Allen had been on that team in 2019 as the QB, would they still miss the playoffs or would they have won the division?  And personally, I believe they win that division and make the playoffs with one of those guys.  

I totally get why they paid him though, I mean his stats merit the paycheck.  But, I also feel his stats get inflated when they are down big in games and also against weaker competition, especially playing in that garbage division.  

But hey, I am happy for him...good for him for achieving his goals and getting paid.  I just think that Dallas right now is going to have a hard time truly contending the next 4 years the way that team is made up and with other gaudy contracts like Cooper and Zeke there for part of that time.  

I can't disagree with this. I think they have some serious coaching issues, however, and that makes the problems worse. And the owner is always going to be a problem. I mean, they are paying a ton of money to what is now a league-average running back. He has a $14 million cap hit and a $24 million dead cap hit this upcoming season. A lot of guys who we think of as JAGs could equal his production too (4.0 ypc and under 7 yards per reception).

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Good idea, drive great players towards the NBA and MLB.

There's only so many NFL players that'll be able to go to the NBA or MLB....

Just because they can play 1 sport, doesn't mean they can play the others(at least well enough to stick on a team).

This deal will be a comp for Josh's contract. Jerry got worked and the Cowboys have sealed their fate for the next 5 years. How you pay this injured, underachieving gentleman more than names like Wilson, Rodgers, and Watson is indicative of the incompetence running the organization. Hopefully we can get Josh on a deal that allows us to surround him with some talent. Dallas has 6 players making just under 65%of the whole cap.

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dak is the best player on the roster though. They screwed the pooch not signing him two years ago when he wanted $32m AAV.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1