NFL is "highly likely" to have a 17-game regular season in 2021

DJB

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/28/nfl-17-game-schedule-zach-wilson-fmia-peter-king/?utm_int=Edge1494

NBC Sports' Peter King reports the NFL is "highly likely" to have a 17-game regular season in 2021. 

A 17-game regular season has been in the works since the players signed a new CBA in March 2020. King said "TV partners and NFL schedulers are working under the assumption that the 17-game schedule" that will include one bye week for each team. The extra regular season game would push the Super Bowl from February 6 to February 13. King added that the league -- with its expanded playoffs -- could have a Monday night Wild Card game in 2021. The NFL schedule is expected to include two games on Christmas, which falls on a Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Why not cut the preseason in half to two games and go with an 18 game regular season. 17 games is just plain dumb.

Resistance from NFLPA.  I think adding a game is very hard until scheduling issues are under control and full stadiums are possible for all teams.  With expanded schedule is better for NFL to accept starting before Labor Day and extra bye weeks.  Players will be healthier and there will be more possibility of spaces for reschedules.

37 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

With the cap dropping to 180M, I can't see the NFLPA agreeing to a 17-game season.

180 is the floor. Could be higher. 

Just now, djp14150 said:

I got the impression the 17th game was going to be neutral site games.

How would they do that? 

56 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

With the cap dropping to 180M, I can't see the NFLPA agreeing to a 17-game season.

Maybe its a concession they give to help get things back on track salary cap wise?

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

180 is the floor. Could be higher. 

How would they do that? 

Beane sounded pretty sure it was 180-185 on his Collinsworth interview

56 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Players already have agreed, reluctantly, to the 17th game...it was in the last CBA.

I don't like it...the NFL is a "less is more" scenario.  To me, the appeal of the 17th is simply not there.

Just now, Bills fan since 87 said:

Ugh, probably means the season starts Labor Day weekend.  Wife and I always go camping then.  I was fine with the 16 game season starting the weekend after labor day

Not happening.  Although the league has started the regular season on Labor Day weekend in the past, the NFL has stated it's strong desire not to do so again.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How would they do that? 

My guess is we would see more foreign games? 

Maybe Toronto will want to welcome back the Bills!  Of course knowing how much the league likes the Bill's we would probably face Cleveland in the first game ever played in Kabul!

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

I don't like it...the NFL is a "less is more" scenario.  To me, the appeal of the 17th is simply not there.

Not happening.  Although the league has started the regular season on Labor Day weekend in the past, the NFL has stated it's strong desire not to do so again.

I agree 100%.   Although, after the events of last 12 months, I’m just happy that (a) there will BE a season, and (b) it’s looking more and more likely that they will allow people to actually attend the games in person

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Gotta grow those revenues.........

Be cause being a billionaire certainly is not enough...

17 games is so dumb.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Be cause being a billionaire certainly is not enough...

I get the "this is a business" but I hate the expansion, 16 was good, 17 is dumb with imbalanced home/away...I know it will be fair with the alternating AFC/NFC thing.  This is nothing more than a money grab at the expense of diluting the product.  Just my opinion......

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

17 games is so dumb.

I get the "this is a business" but I hate the expansion, 16 was good, 17 is dumb with imbalanced home/away...I know it will be fair with the alternating AFC/NFC thing.  This is nothing more than a money grab at the expense of diluting the product.  Just my opinion......

All true, the more teams in the playoffs, the weaker the moniker of being a  “ playoff team”  becomes, it is truly nothing more than a money grab, and has zero to do with the game of football on any level.