Jump to content

Free agent QBS who could back up Allen next year in case Barkley doesn’t come back


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Fitzpatrick is the best of the bunch. Fitz is a Library of knowledge and Allen could learn a lot from him, but..... let’s just stay away from the Fitzpatrick Cycle..... I’d rather not have Allen suffer a season ending injury. 
 

Realistically, this is going to come down to value. Backup QB is an area this team can improve, and the O line is good enough at pass blocking to allow for a bit of a statue if they have a big arm. 

 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

You don't think any of those guys are better than Barkley? Wow. Other than Cam who might be too broken down at this stage, I think they are all a lot better. Barkley is not very good.

 

If Barkley wants to back he'd have to take a pay cut for me. Not sure if any of the guys on that list would come and play for the contract Barkley has been on (maybe Glennon) but that is as much as I am paying any backup.

 

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Go with Fromm.  They need all the cap space they can get.

 

 

Reference this discussion, my opinion is the Bills are largely dependent on Josh Allen's ability to have any reasonable chance at a Super Bowl.

I think he is a significant part of why the O-Line was "so good" at pass blocking while being bad at run blocking. It's not just scheme.

Not going to go down that rabbit hole, as there are arguments that JA17 is tough to block for too, but the salient point is: the Bills aren't winning enough games to make it to the Super Bowl much less win one without JA17.

 

So spending money on a backup QB for any reason other than he can help JA17 through film, experience, whatever is wasted money we should spend elsewhere.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed 125%. It’s been way too long lol I don’t believe in the Fitz cycle lol. But if Allen did go down with an injury I would be a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fitz stepping up instead of

'Someone will pay Fitz more money than the Bills could...

This     But also this.   I think we don't keep Davis Webb around AND draft Fromm if we don't feel they could compete for the backup job   A QB I think we should k

Posted Images

1 minute ago, timekills17 said:

 

Reference this discussion, my opinion is the Bills are largely dependent on Josh Allen's ability to have any reasonable chance at a Super Bowl.

I think he is a significant part of why the O-Line was "so good" at pass blocking while being bad at run blocking. It's not just scheme.

Not going to go down that rabbit hole, as there are arguments that JA17 is tough to block for too, but the salient point is: the Bills aren't winning enough games to make it to the Super Bowl much less win one without JA17.

 

So spending money on a backup QB for any reason other than he can help JA17 through film, experience, whatever is wasted money we should spend elsewhere.

 

Agreed on the bolded - but the question of a backup QB doesn't only arise in a situation where Allen is out for the year. If that happens the season is dead finish with a top 5 pick and hope there is a true difference maker there for you. But what if Allen misses 4 weeks? Say you go 9-3 in 12 games with Josh Allen. If you go 0-4 in the ones he misses you have blown a post season shot. So while I don't want to spend more than the $2m per year that Barkley made to chase one of those bigger name backups - Fitz, Dalton etc - Mike Glennon played for less in 2020 than Barkley and he is a better player. I'd personally still be interested in Blake Bortles. I know there are questions about how hard he works etc and maybe the Bills don't think he is a character fit, but playing style he is very similar to Josh Allen (not nearly as good but stylistically similar) and I don't think there is any question he is more talented than Matt Barkley. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not mind a backup with same mentor Jordan Palmer during off season.

Part of a backup's job is to watch field for things that starting QB is missing and if you are working together in offseason you will communicate better.

Every QB who wants to be Josh's backup should think of this.

 

Personally I hope Webb has a breakthrough.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Fromm is going to be given a chance to win the job. I expect whoever they bring in whether it is re-signing Barkley or whether it is Mike Glennon etc to have a contract with very few guarantees. Having said that, it is possible they will still be isolating a 3rd QB this year just in case, and if that is the case then unless Froom is so clearly their 2nd best guy I'd expect him to be the isolation QB again. 

 

I'd sign a QB to the PS and isolate him.  Most likely Webb.  They can't afford to be paying a guy a lot to be backup QB this year.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

'Someone will pay Fitz more money than the Bills could...

Brian Flores and his patented platoon system

 

Play the ***** guy first, get them to let their guards down, then bring in the good one.

 

Gonna blow up in their face sooner or later

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Kyle Allen wasn’t even a thought to me. I’m not sure if he has the experience to really help Allen diagnose what’s going on in game, but he may be uniquely qualified to point out any technical or mechanical issues that Allen has in a game or practice due to working with Josh and Palmer in the off-season. 

 

I don't think you bring in Allen as a mentor. He is a good friend of Josh, is cheap, and has won NFL games (I think with KA as starter the Panthers were 5-2 at one point in 2019). If Josh goes down in the short term, Kyle can do a good job. But he won't Foles you to a SB win. He loses games with bad mistakes, but I watched him drive 80 yards in a snowstorm in the fourth quarter in Green Bay to the 1 yard line. On the final play as the clock expired CMC got stuffed, so naturally Allen got no credit for what he did.

Edited by Seoulofstone
Detail
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

I think Fromm is going to be given a chance to win the job. I expect whoever they bring in whether it is re-signing Barkley or whether it is Mike Glennon etc to have a contract with very few guarantees. Having said that, it is possible they will still be isolating a 3rd QB this year just in case, and if that is the case then unless Froom is so clearly their 2nd best guy I'd expect him to be the isolation QB again. 

You understand this the QB position, right? There’s is no ‘winning the job’ that doesn’t include Josh Allen. I don’t see any change in the pecking order for the coming season though Fromm may have to pass through waivers to land on the Practice Squad. There’s a plethora of experienced QBs looking for work so this shouldn’t be a problem. We’ve gone with 2 QBs before with McBeane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You understand this the QB position, right? There’s is no ‘winning the job’ that doesn’t include Josh Allen. I don’t see any change in the pecking order for the coming season though Fromm may have to pass through waivers to land on the Practice Squad. There’s a plethora of experienced QBs looking for work so this shouldn’t be a problem. We’ve gone with 2 QBs before with McBeane.

 

I meant winning the backup job. Of course he isn't winning the starting job. In order for there to be no change in the pecking order they would have to bring Barkley back. Maybe they will. In what, as you identify, will be a buyer's market with lots of guys needing jobs but not much money for backup QBs I think Barkley probably needs to lob half a mil off the number he has had the last two years to stay around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Not sure I agree. I watched Denver try and play football without a Quarterback.... depends where we are with the virus come September and what the NFL does to the rules but if there are similar regulations as last year then I would be minded to continue with an isolated QB. 

 

Denver was the outlier for sure.  But what good would this kid be to the team is they got to the point where he needed to get in a game? I don't know of another team (Denver excluded now, perhaps) who thought it a good idea to isolate a QB from the team for a season...especially a rookie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Denver was the outlier for sure.  But what good would this kid be to the team is they got to the point where he needed to get in a game? I don't know of another team (Denver excluded now, perhaps) who thought it a good idea to isolate a QB from the team for a season...especially a rookie.

 

There was a handful of teams who did. Us, Eagles, Titans, thought the Giants as well but might have made that up... not sure they were rookies admittedly... but more than just the Bills kept a 3rd QB in isolation. I would have done it and I would do it again depending on the circumstances.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

There was a handful of teams who did. Us, Eagles, Titans, thought the Giants as well but might have made that up... not sure they were rookies admittedly... but more than just the Bills kept a 3rd QB in isolation. I would have done it and I would do it again depending on the circumstances.

The Packers did it with their first round pick. Although, the media narrative in GB is that Love "couldn't win the backup role".

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

You don't think any of those guys are better than Barkley? Wow. Other than Cam who might be too broken down at this stage, I think they are all a lot better. Barkley is not very good.

 

If Barkley wants to back he'd have to take a pay cut for me. Not sure if any of the guys on that list would come and play for the contract Barkley has been on (maybe Glennon) but that is as much as I am paying any backup.

 

Actually, you are right that a lot of those guys are better. I was mostly talking about the guys in the last para of the article, since the featured guys are all going to be too expensive. The reality is is that the guys in the last para is the market for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If they don’t re-sign Barkley, it Means they think Davis Webb is ready to be the 2.  Otherwise, I don’t see them going out to get someone better than Barkley. And from the article, not sure any of those guys are better than Barkley anyway. 

Webb has the play book knowledge that’s needed, and a better arm than Barkley, and will be inexpensive to to promote to Bu QB,  in a season with financial constraints Webb is a likely selection if they don’t stick with Barkley.  Fromm?, Fromm is the C-19 back up for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

 

I don't think you bring in Allen as a mentor. He is a good friend of Josh, is cheap, and has won NFL games (I think with KA as starter the Panthers were 5-2 at one point in 2019). If Josh goes down in the short term, Kyle can do a good job. But he won't Foles you to a SB win. He loses games with bad mistakes, but I watched him drive 80 yards in a snowstorm in the fourth quarter in Green Bay to the 1 yard line. On the final play as the clock expired CMC got stuffed, so naturally Allen got no credit for what he did.

I like the idea of KA as a backup to Allen. He’s most likely an upgrade from Barkley when on the field, and won’t break the bank. As I pointed out, he’s uniquely qualified to point out any technical breakdowns JA may have in game due to their friendship and off-season work. My question is whether or not KA has the experience in the league to diagnose and relay information to JA which provides an advantage. We know that Fitz and Dalton have started enough games to recognize schemes and exotic defensive packages. Truth is that after JA gets another year or two of experience that need will be downgraded.
 

We’ll see what Beane does, but I think there’s better value than Barkley on the market this year. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Other than Palmer, he was really replacing those other bums because they were awful and he was better.

 

His problem is that as a "backup QB", he doesn't get much rope.  a bad season and they dump you.  Look how bad the Jets have been since he left, for instance. 

Agree completely. I still hold the opinion that if Fitz had a slightly stronger arm he’d have been a franchise QB. Fitz has all the intangible boxes checked and then some. 

  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, timekills17 said:

 

 

 

 

Reference this discussion, my opinion is the Bills are largely dependent on Josh Allen's ability to have any reasonable chance at a Super Bowl.

I think he is a significant part of why the O-Line was "so good" at pass blocking while being bad at run blocking. It's not just scheme.

Not going to go down that rabbit hole, as there are arguments that JA17 is tough to block for too, but the salient point is: the Bills aren't winning enough games to make it to the Super Bowl much less win one without JA17.

 

So spending money on a backup QB for any reason other than he can help JA17 through film, experience, whatever is wasted money we should spend elsewhere.

With all due respect, I hate this point. Obviously, any qb on the market would be a huge drop off. But:

 

Tom Brady (maybe The elite white is the next Brady)

 

Kurt Warner 

 

Doug Williams

 

nick Foles

 

trent dilfer 

 

jeff Hostetler

 

roger Staubach

 

jim pluckett 

 

earl morrall

 

all guys who started the season as backups who won SBs (Kaepernick lost as a backup).  I just can’t believe how many people are cool with whatever at backup. This is a SB contender that could win games if they had a decent backup. The Pats drafted Jimmy G in the 2nd and crackhead Mallett in the 3rd with Brady. The Saints signed Winston.  The Colts paid Brissett a good amount of money. 
 

I just think kee coldly do so much better than Barkley (nice guy, good teammate), Fromm, & Davis. I know people hate him but Newton could win games on this team if god forbid Allen got hurt. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Agree completely. I still hold the opinion that if Fitz had a slightly stronger arm he’d have been a franchise QB. Fitz has all the intangible boxes checked and then some. 

Fitz gets better every year. Dude is a baller who just didn’t have the physical tools. Miami makes the playoffs if they didn’t start Tua. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

The Packers did it with their first round pick. Although, the media narrative in GB is that Love "couldn't win the backup role".

 

They isolated Love form the rest of the team for the season?  I couldn't find anything on that.   In fact there's an Pat McAfee interview with Rodgers in October describing Love's progress in practice, in the locker room after games, etc.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If they don’t re-sign Barkley, it Means they think Davis Webb is ready to be the 2.  Otherwise, I don’t see them going out to get someone better than Barkley. And from the article, not sure any of those guys are better than Barkley anyway. 

Why did they draft Fromm in the 5th round? I think it's reasonable to expect him to be the backup in year 2, unless you drafted him for no reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...