Priority #1: Large, angry men for the OL and DL

I like drafting some good DT/OL in the 2nd and 3rd, after hopefully Harris (RB) in the first.  We can use FA to address Edge rusher, which will also be helped by a stronger 1T/3T pairing.  

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

As many of you know, one of my favorite sights is a 350 pound DT in the red, white and blue. It's been too long, so unless Star is putting in the work in the dining room this offseason, it's time to find some guys with God-given enormousness. Size is uncoachable. The anger and rage will come the first time they drive the William/Walden section of the 90 on the way to the Galleria. 

Last night's game reaffirmed, once again, the importance of line play. If we had been in the game it would have looked pretty much the same EXCEPT everyone would be all over Josh Allen for "melting down" and saying it should have been Mahomes and it would have been different, the Bills were pretenders, etc.

Now everyone can plainly see: even the new Rodgers (supposed "best QB in the league") needs blocking and a defense on the other side. 

Luckily, there are some compelling prospects in this draft, and I think it is imperative that we get one large angry man on the OL and one on the DL.

The perfect fits, both 2nd or 3rd rounders:

Aaron Banks, Notre Dame guard. 330 pounds, tough, smart, strong. Good run blocker. Should be there in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round. Can play either guard spot. 

Tedarall Slayton, Florida DT. My prototypical favorite DT. 6'5'', 343 pounds of run stuffing, double team block taking behemoth! Put him next to Oliver and all of a sudden Oliver can get some pass rush because the big man is eating up blocks. Oh, and you want to run up the middle? LOL Good luck, because we can put Star and Slayton next to each other in those situations. 

And if the big man gets free up the middle because you focus on Oliver? Bad things, man...

The Bills have a lot of pieces in place. But what we need now is some more size and strength on the lines, and a commitment to imposing our will and being physical. Added bonus: for 4 years we're not spending big $$ on guards or DT's. 

thanks for the draft insights.  Enjoy seeing these.  Any thoughts on Farrell from LSU?  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I like drafting some good DT/OL in the 2nd and 3rd, after hopefully Harris (RB) in the first.  We can use FA to address Edge rusher, which will also be helped by a stronger 1T/3T pairing.  

thanks for the draft insights.  Enjoy seeing these.  Any thoughts on Farrell from LSU?  

Don't know a ton about him, but be sounds interesting from what I'm reading. 

1 hour ago, Success said:

Great post.  

I remember when the Colts had Manning - and we've seen this in other places:  when a team gets such a good QB, the temptation is to try to acquire skill position players high in the draft & FA.

But success lies in building up the lines. Win those trenches.   That was the Pats blueprint all of those years - outside of Moss, they never went out of their way for skill positions.

And great point about Oliver.  The better all of the players are on the line, the better everyone is. 

I agree and last night's game was a perfect example of our deficiencies. We absolutely have to rebuild our "trenches". Both sides of the ball. Our secondary and offensive skill players are good. We could use an upgrade at RB/TE. But the majority of the focus has to be the lines.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

And if the big man gets free up the middle because you focus on Oliver? Bad things, man...

D-Line is the catalyst to win championships and can stop an elite QB.

Last night we saw exactly what happens when even an elite QB can be rushed with four linemen. Mahomes was brutalized and his WRs etc were not open, since they had seven back in coverage.

If the cap crunches to around 180ish a year (slightly higher than the 175 million floor but still putting the Bills right up against the cap the Bills might have to let Mongo and Milano walk. With cutting John Brown, Vernon Butler, Lee Smith and Quinton Jefferson and restructuring Mitch, Hughes and Addision you probably put yourself around 33 million in cap space. Enough to resign D.Williams but not much else. Hopefully the NFL comes to its senses and get the cap closer to 195 million. Just have the players keep 15% of their checks in escrow and take back whatever you need to make up for the shortfalls at the end of the season. It's what the NBA did to keep their cap the same.

3 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Size is nice, but athleticism on the interior of our OL (or lack there of) is what cost us a trip to the Superbowl. An investment into some dominant edge rushers is much needed as well.

If only we drafted Wyatt Teller, a top NFL guard now, when he was sitting there in the 5th round.... Oh wait....We did.

Highest-Graded Players of 2020:

1. Aaron Rodgers - 94.9

2. Wyatt Teller - 93.8

3. Patrick Mahomes - 93.0

3. Travis Kelce - 93.0

Hey whatever, maybe he was hurt too much and didn't have his technique down.  Either way we let an elite player go for almost nothing, that sucks.  Indy still saying that about Jerry Hughes 10 years later.

The one thing Beane has shown us is that he will make aggressive trades and personnel moves, and that the roster has improved each year.   No need to doubt the guy now. 

Beane:  

“This is not going to be a a free agency where we can be as aggressive. We’ve been aggressive with that because we built up the resources,” he said. “I would not anticipate any blockbuster moves of the Stef Diggs type or some of the moves we made the year before in free agency. It’s really gonna be plugging some holes depending on who we lose. And then the onus is on us to have a strong draft.”

Also remember we don't have a 4th round pick this year because of Diggs trade, so hopefully we draft well and retain the guys we like. 

Another massive advantage we have to look forward to is the return of our head coach, OC and DC AGAIN next year.  Josh still cap friendly for the next two seasons even if he signs this offseason.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I love some big D lineman too 

But there aren't many if any 350 lb D lineman in the NFL now. They just are in too good of conditioning to get that big now

Even snacks is listed at 339

And he is an anomaly in the modern NFL

I’m really interested in seeing what Tyler Shelvin is weighing in at. What kind of condition he’s in

Just now, Da webster guy said:

If only we drafted Wyatt Teller, a top NFL guard now, when he was sitting there in the 5th round.... Oh wait....We did.

1. Aaron Rodgers - 94.9

2. Wyatt Teller - 93.8

3. Travis Kelce - 93.0

Hey whatever, maybe he was hurt too much and didn't have his technique down.  Either way we let an elite player go for almost nothing, that sucks.  Indy still saying that about Jerry Hughes 10 years later.

The one thing Beane has shown us is that he will make aggressive trades and personnel moves, and that the roster has improved each year.   No need to doubt the guy now. 

Beane:  

“This is not going to be a a free agency where we can be as aggressive. We’ve been aggressive with that because we built up the resources,” he said. “I would not anticipate any blockbuster moves of the Stef Diggs type or some of the moves we made the year before in free agency. It’s really gonna be plugging some holes depending on who we lose. And then the onus is on us to have a strong draft.”

Also remember we don't have a 4th round pick this year because of Diggs trade, so hopefully we draft well and retain the guys we like. 

Another massive advantage we have to look forward to is the return of our head coach, OC and DC AGAIN next year.  Josh still cap friendly for the next two seasons even if he signs this offseason.  

Teller had a very good year and he's a very good pulling guard, but I can still name a good amount of interior lineman I'll take before him

One good year on the line doesn't make you elite in my opinion. And we traded him because he couldn't crack our line up here, he just fits better in the browns scheme 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

1. Aaron Rodgers - 94.9

2. Wyatt Teller - 93.8

3. Travis Kelce - 93.0

Beane:  

He's a great gap scheme guard. We are a zone run team. Need guys who can move, work up to a second level, and block in the open field.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I bet Denver is saying the same about Shaq Barrett

Dude almost won the MVP.   They should have voted he and Devin as Co/MVP's for wrecking that game.   

Score 10 points at home, beat KC and win the Lombardi, boy that was tough order for Brady.

11 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Nah, wrong. We just need to draft another RB, but this time in the 1st round, we should even trade up...

😶

The nice thing is we have a very good GM or I could see another 1st round RB pick happening.