Key to beating the Ravens- beating the blitz

NewEra

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The ravens are a cocky/confident bunch I don't expect them to change

I agree.  I don’t think they’ll blitz 45% of the plays like they normally do, but I do think they’ll blitz their fair share.  Likely some on 3rd downs.....which are the keys to the game 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The DC said as much...he said that is just who they are and Allen knows what to expect.  Mahomes smoked them for 395 and 4 TDs...

It never is automatic but I like our chances. They may fool him for a few series but once they have the answers they will be giving up a lot of points if they keep trying it.

I hope you’re right.  Bad conditions could prevent that

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  I don’t think they’ll blitz 45% of the plays like they normally do, but I do think they’ll blitz their fair share.  Likely some on 3rd downs.....which are the keys to the game 

I think it would limit the Ravens pass game much more than the Bills and allow us to really focus on stopping the run. Allen has the arm to throw it through the wind. Jackson does not.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The X-factor for sure, imho. Hope we can begin to replicate the strength that bad weather in January at home used to be for us back in the 90's, even continuing to put up good numbers through the air in snow conditions (example below, Bills put up a 44 spot, with Kelly passing 19/29, 339 yards, 3 TD's...)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/post/

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I think it would limit the Ravens pass game much more than the Bills and allow us to really focus on stopping the run. Allen has the arm to throw it through the wind. Jackson does not.

Yeah, Allens proven to be really good in the wind.  🙄

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, Allens proven to be really good in the wind.  🙄

IMHO, the shoulder harness and separated shoulder he played with in those 4 games effected him far more than the wind.  But yes...you are right...we should expect a 40% completion, 10 sack, 5 INT game from him I guess.

Edited by Big Turk

59 minutes ago, MPL said:

The Browns put up 42 on this defense in week 14. Jarvis Landry had a huge day and Baker made a ton of throws off schedule and out of the pocket. I think there's reason to believe that Josh and our WR corp can have success. 

Of course, the Ravens put up 45 in this game, even with Lamar taking a 10 minute bathroom break. I think our D is better than Cleveland's but who knows. This game could be wild. 

weren't the ravens missing a bunch of guys on defense that day? 

24 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The ravens are a cocky/confident bunch I don't expect them to change

But they're not dumb. 

Idk, I'm getting more worried about this game the closer it gets. The Ravens match up well, as long as they have the right game plan. 

I'll be happy if they play to the Bills' strengths, though.

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It is a good thing.  Now he just has to be amazing vs the blitz on saturday.  If he’s not, our season is likely over imo

If Josh has any bad games from here on out, period, our season is over. We aren't the Saints. We live or die on Josh Allen's play, just like the Chiefs and just like the Packers. Similarly, if Lamar is ineffective running the ball, the Ravens will lose. I believe we will have more success stopping the Ravens run game than the Colts, because they favour outside runs which gets Poyer and Hyde involved.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

But they're not dumb. 

Idk, I'm getting more worried about this game the closer it gets. The Ravens match up well, as long as they have the right game plan. 

Agree. Think the talk of the blitz is a smoke screen?

The colts laid out how you beat buffalo, will the ravens use it?

Another huge key to this game will be the field position battle, as long as buffalo doesn't get dominated in that stat I am pretty confident the bills win a close one

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Agree. Think the talk of the blitz is a smoke screen?

The colts laid out how you beat buffalo, will the ravens use it?

I think so. They're not going to play zone straight up like the Colts did, but they'll be trying to fake out Allen all game.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Their D is predicated on the blitz, where they led the league in blitz% at over 45%. 

Josh has been one the best, if not the best, QB in dealing with the blitz this season. He has made the opposition pay when they bring extra rushers all season.  

To me, this is the key to the game and why we will win.  The Ravens are tied for worst in the league for giving up TD's when blitzing, with 16TD's allowed.  Josh Allen is tied for the best in the league for throwing TD's when blitzed, with 16TD's.  As you noted, the Ravens love to blitz, so they will and Josh WILL take advantage of it.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

As was already stated, yes.  Missing 2 corners 

well that’s why

When healthy they have the best secondary in the league 

the game will come down to Allen and our WR’s vs their secondary. Forget about Lamar, if we can’t put points up through our pass game we don’t stand a chance. Lamar will get his yards, question is will we be able to match it 

Edited by Penfield45

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

well that’s why

When healthy they have the best secondary in the league 

the game will come down to Allen and our WR’s vs their secondary. Forget about Lamar, if we can’t put points up through our pass game we don’t stand a chance. Lamar will get his yards, question is will we be able to match it 

Yup. That’s the point of the post

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

But they're not dumb. 

This is where I was last week. This week my stress has been going down as the game draws closer. 

If Frazier executed last years game plan and Josh plays like this years Josh, I really like our chances. 

In my opinion, this game comes down to two things:

1. Josh be this years version and be prepared to carry the O

2. Replicate, as much as possible, last years D plan to limit Lamar. 

I believe if those things happen the Bills advance. 

• Like (+1) 1