Congrats Alex Van Pelt!

Former Bills Alex Van Pelt nicknamed "Pill" by his fellow players was OC/play caller for Cleveland Browns.

browns-steelers-football-10541.jpg

His fellow players used to call him "cold as ice" on game days.

Aaron Rodgers expected good things of the coach he did not want to leave:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/01/07/cleveland-browns-aaron-rodgers-has-total-confidence-in-alex-van-pelt/

Van Pelt served as the Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach from 2014 through 2017, and future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers, whom Van Pelt coached, was publicly displeased with the team’s decision not to retain the QB coach.

Since then, he’s publicly voiced his support of Van Pelt multiple times, and with Van Pelt stepping into the play-caller role this week, Rodgers had some more nice things to say about him on the Pat McAfee Show.

Among the things that Rodgers complimented about Van Pelt was his even-keeled mindset and steady presence on game day.

Being a Pittsburgh native, playing at University of Pittsburgh (you may have heard he beat Dan Marino's college records) and drafted by Steelers I am sure beating the Steelers was very special for him.

This week we had Frank Reich as head coach, good luck next week at Kansas City.

Edited by Limeaid
corrected per input for being up too late (and too early)
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Former Bills Alex Van Pelt nicknamed "Pill" by his fellow players was OC/play caller for Cleveland Browns.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/01/07/cleveland-browns-aaron-rodgers-has-total-confidence-in-alex-van-pelt/

Being a Pittsburgh native, playing at University of Pittsburgh (you may have heard he beat Dan Marino's college records) and drafted by Steelers I am sure beating the Steelers was very special for him.

This week we had Frank Reich as head coach, next week we have Alex Van Pelt so which former QB will be hired by Kansas City.

Uh, we're playing the Ravens, not the Browns.  Do they have any former Bills on staff?

• Like (+1) 1

Happy for the guy.  He always came across like a classy guy.  Met him once as a player and was very gracious.  A nothing interaction, but I always appreciate players who can be just another guy when you interact at a pharmacy, gas station, or whatever.

Also, it was fun seeing the Steelers melt down yesterday.  Screw those whiners.

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

I wonder if AVP would ever come back to Buffalo, assuming we lose Daboll. I have no clue what his contract with the Browneyes is.

Why do so many of the Bills Mafia have to rely on nostalgia to bring back former players to coach when we lose a coach or have the possibility of losing one? He's been here as a coach before, from 2006 - 2009 as Offensive Quality Control Coach in 2006 to Offensive Coordinator \ QB Coach in 2009. He was a "just okay" coach. Maybe he is a much better coach now. But, let our front office and head Coach do their jobs to pick who fits in as a coach for this team. We don't need nostalgia to lead us. We need leaders that can teach the game of football. That's why McD's worked out so well. He picked great minded coaches who know how to teach their systems and the fundamentals of football. 

I find it amazing how many guys with ties to the Bills are coaching around the league but I guess that’s what happens when you were a revolving door for so many years. And these guys are not in some low level assistant positional coaching spot:

Gailey

Schwartz

Reich

Pettine

Van Pelt

Marrone

I just think it'd be cool as hell if all the dust settled and the AFC Championship was a Great Lakes showdown ... Bills v Browns.

EDIT: ps......... I dont recall "Pill" as AVP's nickname.  Here in Rochester we called him "dough boy" !!

Edited by jaybee
added observation...
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Why do so many of the Bills Mafia have to rely on nostalgia to bring back former players to coach when we lose a coach or have the possibility of losing one? He's been here as a coach before, from 2006 - 2009 as Offensive Quality Control Coach in 2006 to Offensive Coordinator \ QB Coach in 2009. He was a "just okay" coach. Maybe he is a much better coach now. But, let our front office and head Coach do their jobs to pick who fits in as a coach for this team. We don't need nostalgia to lead us. We need leaders that can teach the game of football. That's why McD's worked out so well. He picked great minded coaches who know how to teach their systems and the fundamentals of football. 

Well Coach McD's first picks as coaches did not do very well and almost all of them are gone.  It is funny how press concentrate on players who are gone but not coaches.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This week we had Frank Reich as head coach, good luck next week at Kansas City.

I recall he was called the "doughboy" when he was here....refering to his appearance of slightly overweight ( a Pillsbury Doughboy was an advertising thing at the time.)

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find it amazing how many guys with ties to the Bills are coaching around the league but I guess that’s what happens when you were a revolving door for so many years. And these guys are not in some low level assistant positional coaching spot:

Gailey

Schwartz

Reich

Pettine

Van Pelt

Marrone

Is Mulakey still around?  Also the line coach from Lockport is still in the league...his name escapes me.....

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

I just think it'd be cool as hell if all the dust settled and the AFC Championship was a Great Lakes showdown ... Bills v Browns.

EDIT: ps......... I dont recall "Pill" as AVP's nickname.  Here in Rochester we called him "dough boy" !!

‘Pill’ is short for ‘Pillsbury Doughboy’.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gailey

Schwartz

Reich

Pettine

Van Pelt

Marrone

Hackett is in Green Bay as OC.

43 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Is Mulakey still around?  Also the line coach from Lockport is still in the league...his name escapes me.....

Aaron Kromer? There is George Edwards too who was Chan's DC here before Wanatasche and then served as Zimmer's DC in Minnesota for a stretch. Think he was on the Cowboys staff in some role this year. 

What is interesting is how few of Rex's defensive staff ever worked in the league again after he got fired. Dennis Thurman, John Blake, Jeff Weeks, Bobby April III, Tim McDonald and Donnie Henderson were all long term NFL assistant coaches who have not worked in the league again after leaving Buffalo at the end of the Rex Ryan reign of terror (Donnie actually left after the first year). Ed Reed was a first year coach who hasn't coached since. Rob Ryan spent one season (2019) as a linebackers coach for the artists formerly known as the Redskins but has been otherwise out of the league too. The two exceptions are Jason Rebrovich who was a hold over from Marrone's staff and reunited with him in Jacksonville and D'Anton Lynn (Anthony's kid) who was basically a quality control coach on the defensive side and followed his dad to LA before moving on to the Texans where he coaches DBs. 

That is how toxic those two years of Rex Ryan in Buffalo were. They ended multiple NFL coaching careers.