What Did Indy do on D?

They got pressure all game long, played disciplined zone defense with fast defenders who communicate well, and at times dared the Bills to run.

If the Bills don't win a championship this season, I'd be willing to bet that lack of a threatening run game will be the thing that sinks them.

Beane said that playoff losses often show you in stark clarity what your team weaknesses are. The failure to score enough last year against the Texans brought us Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis. The failure to run the ball this year, if it ends up costing us a playoff game, may well bring changes to the running game in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

What they did today was they took away our run and our play action.

I vaguely remember them being quoted as one of the best if not the best d in the league against play action.

When Allen runs it was a number advantage but does not  make the safeties play down as much. Or set up the misdirection of play action.

Hope we can find a way to run, its a talented d line there, and hopefully we can get over this hump.

They tried to eliminate big plays and flood the field.

They had an excellent defensive performance

Edited by Sharky7337

25 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

They signed Buckner as a FA and we didn't. They have a highly disruptive force on their DL that makes life miserable for opposing offenses every week and we don't. Instead we have Lotulelei and Addison. I love what Beane has done (mostly), but a serious disruptor on the DL would put this team over the top.

They traded a 1st for Buckner, actually. Kinda like our Diggs trade, only less impactful.

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Same formula that gave us trouble early in the year.  Zone coverage and bringing pressure.

Earlier in the week I saw on the Colts forum someone saying the key to winning was to shut down Beasley by playing man coverage.  I had to resist making an account just to respond "Oh no...honey...no...are you TRYING to lose?"

52 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

They signed Buckner as a FA and we didn't. They have a highly disruptive force on their DL that makes life miserable for opposing offenses every week and we don't. Instead we have Lotulelei and Addison. I love what Beane has done (mostly), but a serious disruptor on the DL would put this team over the top.

Actually they traded a 1st Round pick for Buckner.

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know the Bills scored 27 points, Josh threw for over 300 yards, and the Bills won.  Yet the every yard and every point seemed to be a struggle.

What did Indy do to slow down our offense?  Will we see more of the same next week?

I'm like a lot of fans - my eyes tend to follow the ball.  I never took the time to analyze or understand Indy's defensive game plan.  Whatever it was, it worked fairly well.  

Indy plays Cover 2 as a base defense (the defense Josh seems to have most trouble with) and they got some pressure on Josh. I think it is more so a matter of Indy playing the Bills tough and Josh executing just enough. It's the playoffs no games are going to be easy. 

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

As difficult as their defense made it for us, we did put up 27 points and if not for one blown up crazy play we probably would have put up 30-34.  I think we have to face the reality that we probably are not going to put up 50+ points every game. 

playoff intensity is very different than regular season games.   Tua and Rivers are not in the same league as of today.   The Colts ran the ball down our throats effectively and converted on 3rd and long consistently including the last drive.