What Did Indy do on D?

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Honestly, our offense didn’t get as many possessions because the Colts seemed to control the ball all game. 

Offense played well considering we had terrible field position most of the game...only drive that really sticks out to me was the 2nd and 1 where we called 2 straight runs and couldn't pick it up 

13 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I noticed that Rivers seemed to have a LOT more time in the pocket than Allen did.  Our offensive line has to step it up next week.

The Colts offensive line played out of their minds...ours played pretty well in the passing game...they are a better team in the trenches than us and we knew that going in 

Some of what they did was take away the middle of the feild, at least from what I could tell. Our starting feild position was pretty terrible the first half too. Really gotta put this game on the defense Imo. They gave up way too many big plays and quick scoring drives. Though they definitely had their moments too

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

They didn't do anything...

Josh could have put up 400 on them if we wanted too. He played great. 

But Daboll refused to let him cook, or get in any sort of rhythm.

This is true. There seemed to be too much sizzle, not enough steak. One thing that Indy did was get pressure from their front 4, and they played a lot of zone. Allen picked them apart, but it wasn’t easy. I was waiting for an interception, the way they were running coverage. There was nothing over the middle for large stretches of the game. That’s Daboll’s bread an butter. Some screen plays, or misdirections. Not having McKenzie for whatever reason, was a big part of that. This is where Allen’s arm strength takes over. He can zing those darts 30 yards down the sideline. Literally he can make EVERY throw. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Some of what they did was take away the middle of the feild, at least from what I could tell. Our starting feild position was pretty terrible the first half too. Really gotta put this game on the defense Imo. They gave up way too many big plays and quick scoring drives. Though they definitely had their moments too

i think that is why we reverted to JA runs so much. I think the LBs dropped back into a zone and just clogged the middle of the field. I believe the runs were meant to force the LBs up more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Daboll tried to force the run is what it seems like from the uninformed eye. When the Bills were passing they were doing it well. That’s been their game all year. No idea why we would try to get away from it. 

yep. Plus quite a few of the designed QB runs were U-G-L-Y, they ain’t got no alibi.

• Like (+1) 1

With Frank Reich being a former Bills player, I’m sure he follows the Bills closely. Frank admitted he’s a Bills fan when the Colts aren’t playing the Bills. With that being said, he coached a great game against the Bills. The Colts have a great O-line that kept Rivers clean. Rivers does a good job like Roethlisberger as he got rid of the ball quick. It was a tough game, but the Bills won. In a way, I’m kind of glad that they struggled against the Colts, that way they get things cleaned up for the next game. 

Even though it sucked losing on a Hail Mary against the Cardinals, the Bills learned from it and Hyde played the Hail Mary from Rivers perfectly as he high pointed the ball and knocked it down.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Defensively the colts did nothing 

We tried to be something we aren’t. The run pass ratio should at least be 30/70. Throw the ball. Get the lead then try to run the ball. 

I haven’t seen us run on second and short all year. But we decided to this game? Why

• Like (+1) 1

Moss and Singletary combined for a mere 42 yards.  And Allen's 324 yards of passing didn't come easy.  He was pressured.  WRs were covered.   Passes were contested.  Every yard was well-earned.  

The Bills offense has a lot of talent - we've averaged 38.2 points per game since the bye.  Yet Indy held us to 27.   

Any win is a good win.  I just hope that other teams can't replicate the relative success of the Colts D.  

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Indy might've won the game, if not for a missed field goal, failed 2 point conversion, and 4th down play. The Bills showed a lot of guts, overcoming being pushed around, for too long, in the contest. Allen carried the team...

It’s the playoffs. We should’ve blown the Texans out last year, but lost. All that matters is getting to the next round regardless of how it happens. I’ve watched the Patriots win a ton of games in the playoffs they should’ve lost over the past 19 years. All that matters is winning the next game!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Defensively the colts did nothing 

We tried to be something we aren’t. The run pass ratio should at least be 30/70. Throw the ball. Get the lead then try to run the ball. 

I haven’t seen us run on second and short all year. But we decided to this game? Why

I was a little surprised by Daboll's game plan.  The best way to beat a strong running team - especially when you have a questionable run defense - is to build an early lead and force the other team to pass.  Of course, you need the requisite firepower to make this work. 

We do.  I thought Daboll would be aggressive and have us passing on nearly every play.  

8 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

It’s the playoffs. We should’ve blown the Texans out last year, but lost. All that matters is getting to the next round regardless of how it happens. I’ve watched the Patriots win a ton of games in the playoffs they should’ve lost over the past 19 years. All that matters is winning the next game!

This is true. 

But the NFL is a copycat league.  I'm just wondering if Indy figured out something that other teams will emulate.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

40 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I know the Bills scored 27 points, Josh threw for over 300 yards, and the Bills won.  Yet the every yard and every point seemed to be a struggle.

What did Indy do to slow down our offense?  Will we see more of the same next week?

I'm like a lot of fans - my eyes tend to follow the ball.  I never took the time to analyze or understand Indy's defensive game plan.  Whatever it was, it worked fairly well.  

Honestly, the Colts did what they've done the entire season. We all of a sudden abandoned the E-P offense for a ground and pound approach against one of the best DL's and LB in the game. Everyone on here saying this would be a blowout got a bit of crow to eat, especially considering wildcard games are almost always a defensive slug. But frankly there's no reason for us to have abandoned our passing game plan the way we did in the first half. We resurrected the QB draw a la first few weeks of the season for whatever reason, but my only logic is that Daboll must be trying to sabotage his HC interviews...Smoke unfortunately didn't help the case, but there was no reason we shouldn't have fed Diggs and Bease (even Davis) as the primary approach against a weaker secondary.  Where was the McKenzie motion package today, too?

Objectively, all I can say is once we had the lead we definitely leaned into the run - likely in attempt to milk clock and prevent the Colts from relying too heavily on Taylor themselves. Joke on us being that our secondary did nothing to stop those blitz pass drives from Rivers in the second half. I feel like a lot of this "wtaf happened" came from us overestimating our reg season performance and underestimating the Colts reg season performance - particularly the latter. This was an incredible year for the AFC, and every team that made the playoffs is/was a stout football team and/or well-coached. This was never going to be the one-sided contest some of us thought, and we certainly did ourselves no favors with playcalling on either side of the ball. Despite the missed calls, I'm glad the refs kept the flags pocketed for the most part, as there were plenty of missed calls on both sides, the final fumble notwithstanding - that's just egregious on NY's part.

Fwiw, my armchair expectation for next week is we get back to our roots and see a more settled team next week. We needed to be brought to earth and solidified in the strategies that got us here in the first place. Winning in the playoffs is ugly af, and Josh said it best where it's win or go home, and for better or worse we effin' won. What matters more now is how this team preps and comes out for next week. Nothing is for granted and everything is earned. There's no sense in this "wtf" attitude about today - the Buffalo Bills won, and the team we saw all season needs to find itself for next week, whoever the opponent. Everyone's hurt, everyone's hungry, and no one is cashing anything in - whoever is the most complete, has the most teeth left in the 4th, and is willing to give them up will make the biggest differences moving forward. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Offense played well considering we had terrible field position most of the game...only drive that really sticks out to me was the 2nd and 1 where we called 2 straight runs and couldn't pick it up 

The Colts offensive line played out of their minds...ours played pretty well in the passing game...they are a better team in the trenches than us and we knew that going in 

They got away with a ton of holding. Sucks that they’re allowing defenders to be tackled and blatantly held. There was a third down where our blitz beat their line and at least three OL held the defenders, rivers had time to get ball out and make a first down because of it

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1