Think The Empty (Or Mostly Empty) Stadiums Improved Allen's Performance

Irv

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I will say my worry is tempered by the Cant Touch This video from yesterday. The boys look loose and ready to have a good time.

While I agree with you, Tre White REALLY needs to work with Josh. He was showing practice squad level moves.

I think the distinct lack of meteors plowing into the earth has helped Allen this season. I'm concerned that next season, there will a lot more meteors smashing into one bills drive during games that could hinder Allen's production. 

I think you could make the argument that no crowds made it easier for offenses. But, here's a question—if playing with no fans was such a big reason for Allen's success, then why didn't every quarterback in the league take a massive jump in performance, accuracy, decision making, etc?

Every QB played in mostly empty stadiums this year. Only few did what Allen did.

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I think not having fans absolutely helped him. I also think he has grown enough so that when fans do return, even at full capacity, he will be just fine.

Yep, me too.

Josh clearly has a panic mode which can get ugly.  When he's in it, he'll do anything, and none of it is good.

Maybe he has grown out of that, but we haven't seen it in a long time.

I think the empty stadiums contributed to this.  I don't think it's the sole factor, but it played a part.

I would think lack of noise, chaos, confusion, and crowd-infused adrenaline would help almost everyone on the field, for both teams, both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep, me too.

Josh clearly has a panic mode which can get ugly.  When he's in it, he'll do anything, and none of it is good.

Maybe he has grown out of that, but we haven't seen it in a long time.

I think the empty stadiums contributed to this.  I don't think it's the sole factor, but it played a part.

I would think lack of noise, chaos, confusion, and crowd-infused adrenaline would help almost everyone on the field, for both teams, both sides of the ball.

Seriously?

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Correlation does not equal causality.

He played well under pressure at Dallas and Pittsburgh in 2019, in front of hostile crowds on national TV. I'd say his improvement this year was due to another year of experience and off-season training, not the absence of crowds.

It's the home stadium fans and the pressure he feels to perform in front of them that is the problem. Away stadiums would not have the same effect.

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Source.

I'm sorry, but I don't have it off hand. It was last year after a game or in a midweek presser. It was a discussion point.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Correlation does not equal causality.

He played well under pressure at Dallas and Pittsburgh in 2019, in front of hostile crowds on national TV. I'd say his improvement this year was due to another year of experience and off-season training, not the absence of crowds.

He didn't play THIS well.

Bills crowd at home knows how to manage noise for the offense. 

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm wondering if the empty stadiums helped Josh this year.  Maybe helped him change plays, see a little better against a solid backdrop.  Maybe without the crowd he didn't get too hopped up?  Before you ask:  Yes. I am working from home and....no, I don't have anything better to think about.  And, yes, I do need to get a life. 

He has played in stadiums that had fans and did finem

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's the home stadium fans and the pressure he feels to perform in front of them that is the problem. Away stadiums would not have the same effect.

I'm sorry, but I don't have it off hand. It was last year after a game or in a midweek presser. It was a discussion point.

It's ok. I'll wait for you to find it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm wondering if the empty stadiums helped Josh this year.  Maybe helped him change plays, see a little better against a solid backdrop.  Maybe without the crowd he didn't get too hopped up?  Before you ask:  Yes. I am working from home and....no, I don't have anything better to think about.  And, yes, I do need to get a life. 

I have actually thought this and it was a good year for him to focus and grow.

Allen is a strange throwback in that he really does care about the fans... a lot. I don't think he fakes that.

What comes in that same package is probably a dread of letting us and his team down. It would not shock me if that led to games where we saw the panic and hero-ball emerge.

He was trying to do too much to carry the team to a victory. He has matured a lot and shown well in prime time games.

That and retro music seem to help our QB keep a handle on the "yips".

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I think it helped....a lot....perfect seque