ROCKPILE REVIEW - Sweep!!!

Shaw66

My, my, my, what have we here?

It’s been a long, long time since Buffalo had a team that exceeds all expectations.  Fans didn’t dare dream of a truly dominant team, a team that checks all the boxes. 

Well, let’s see:

Make the playoffs.  Check.

Win the division.  Check.

Win a bye.  Check, until the league added a team to the playoffs.  So the bar moved, but the standard was to get to the top 2 – did it.

Win home field.  Nope, but close.

Sweep the division.  Check.

Come from behind to win?  Check.

Win big games along the way?  Check.

Play your best football in December?  Check.

Begin to dominate games late in the season?  Check.

The Bills beat Miami, 56-26, Sunday afternoon in Orchard Park.  The Dolphins are a pretty good team.  They came to town needing a win to get to the playoffs.  The Bills needed the win, too, but wanted to balance the benefit of securing the second spot in the playoffs against the risk of injury to a quality player.  In other words, the Bills would try to win, but not too hard. 

The game was jaw-dropping.  Just as they had done to the Patriots, the Bills spent most of the first quarter sizing up the Dolphins.  The Bills offense started the game interception, punt, punt.  Then they went to work.  Touchdown, touchdown, punt return touchdown, touchdown.  It was as explosive as the Chiefs at their best. 

And it wasn’t Diggs, it was Isaiah McKenzie, running routes, getting open, making catches, flashing his speed.  Then it was McKenzie on a truly dazzling punt return, featuring his vision, his quckness, his change of direction and his speed again. 

The defense did its part.  Over those final ten minutes of the half, the defense gave up one field goal and forced two three and outs. 

This was masterful football.  This was a team that knew it was in control.  For fans who in the past criticized Sean McDermott for being too conservative at the end of the half, consider this:

Was McDermott planning to end Allen’s day by giving Barkley the last snaps of the first half?.  It sure seemed like 21-6 was the right time for a conservative coach to let the air out of the ball.  Oh, no!  Not this team!  Here comes Allen for a final drive.  Four plays, 75-yards.  BAM!!!  Oh, by the way, John Brown is back. 

The game was over at half time.  Miami wasn’t going to score enough to win, even if the Bills throttled back the offense.  And then, almost unbelievably, here comes the second string!  Here comes Antonio Williams, pounding and slashing and bursting through the line!.  Here comes Barkley throwing 6 for 13 for 164 yards and a TD!  Here comes Gabriel Davis with a spectacular run and catch.  Here comes Matakevich, a tackling machine!  Here comes Josh Norman with a pick 6!  Here comes Dane Jackson, with a great goal-line tackle and two passes defensed  Here comes Dean Marlowe with two interceptions.

This is what football looks like when 60 players are playing together, completely together. 

On offense, the pieces are great, but it wouldn’t be happening like this without Allen.  He is in command.  He understands the game, he understands his role.  And he’s physcially able to execute whatever the team needs him to do.  He throws from the pocket, he throws on the run, he sees the opportunities, and he delivers the football flawlessly.  His teammates know if they do their jobs, Josh will take care of the rest. 

And Josh knows his teammates will do their jobs.  All of them.  That’s what he saw from McKenzie and Brown and Williams and Bates and Davis and Winters and from all those swarming second string defenders.  Everyone is ready to do their job, and everyone does. 

Two weeks in a row, the Bills have dismantled a credible opponent.  They’ve done it without breaking much of a sweat. 

It’s magnificent football. 

And now the real challenge begins: to win as the opposition gets better.  Can this team continue to practice and prepare and play in ways that can overcome anyone? 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 22
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Nice read, thanks, couldn’t have said it better, it was an in control avalanche of team

prowess, it was what you said, magnificent football.

Go Bills!!!

Good stuff Shaw.

Important points about our backups. The guys make plays.

Matekevich (sp?) I have been especially pleased by, as he came in as a STs ace, at what seemed like a hefty deal. Turns out he got that dough because he's also a solid LBer, who knows his job. There was another game recently, where he came on and was making plays also, so it wasn't entirely a surprise, just that he hasn't really been given much credit thus far.

Similarly, we've seen our DBs do this sort of thing before- even as backups, but it was nice for Jackson to confirm positive opinions, and for Norman to get the pick 6 after a ticky tacky PI, that much of the time wouldn't be called. Marlowe showed again why he's a favourite of McDermott - another guy who does his job.

The revelation was the latest in the long line of Williamses. Burst , power and desire. I've previously been an advocate of Yeldon, who has done well whenever called upon, when at times, either Singletary of Moss were struggling, especially Moss early on in the season. Now I think that roster spot should go to Williams.

I'm not so convinced that the Offense spent the first quarter 'sizing up' the Miami D. I think they came out far too flat and vanilla, in the hope that could work. It obviously wasn't going to, so they pulled their collective finger out, and got back into what they had been doing before. Thing with that, was that they still had looked unperturbed, even though it was obvious that things weren't working at that point. This is a very confident group now.

I don't think things could have worked out much better then, if they had scripted them. The opportunity for a 2 minute drill for Allen, just before the half, and we executed far too quickly. Taking that lead into half-time, gave the coaches the flexibility to do whatever they wanted.

Once Allen got himself going, he again hit heights of play that were impressive. The 2nd TD to McKenzie being one I especially liked, as it was almost a 'no look' throw. I say almost, as he didn't actually move his head to follow the throw, but when you see it from behind, he obviously has McKenzie in his sights, and knows exactly where he is going to put the football. I think that might be some of the 'arm arrogance' that Ryan Clark alludes to. ;)

That game was more fun than you could shake a stick at. What a wonderful way to end the regular season.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

My, my, my, what have we here?

My oh my what big teeth you have Grandma buffalo.  I never knew you were a carnivore and liked fish.

The Bills beat Miami, 56-26, Sunday afternoon in Orchard Park.  The Dolphins are a pretty good team.  They came to town needing a win to get to the playoffs.  The Bills needed the win, too, but wanted to balance the benefit of securing the second spot in the playoffs against the risk of injury to a quality player.  In other words, the Bills would try to win, but not too hard. 

A win or a Colts loss and they got neither.

And it wasn’t Diggs, it was Isaiah McKenzie, running routes, getting open, making catches, flashing his speed.  Then it was McKenzie on a truly dazzling punt return, featuring his vision, his quickness, his change of direction and his speed again. 

McKenzie who was available because his hands and fumbling on returns. Special McK has really grown up!

The game was over at half time.  Miami wasn’t going to score enough to win, even if the Bills throttled back the offense.  And then, almost unbelievably, here comes the second string!  Here comes Antonio Williams, pounding and slashing and bursting through the line!.  Here comes Barkley throwing 6 for 13 for 164 yards and a TD!  Here comes Gabriel Davis with a spectacular run and catch. 

Here comes Matakevich, a tackling machine!  Here comes Josh Norman with a pick 6!  Here comes Dane Jackson, with a great goal-line tackle and two passes defensed  Here comes Dean Marlowe with two interceptions.

Barkley threw for more yards than Mijami threw in most games.

Matakevich showed it in previous game that he could tackle and he showed in college he was a good tackler (no time in NFL to learn how to do this).

Really happy for Dean for has been a good soldier doing whatever Bills needed.

This is what football looks like when 60 players are playing together, completely together. 

Well it FELT like 60 players to the North Cuban Mammals. :devil:

Great Rockpile Review Shaw!

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I used to watch curling and did not see anything like that!

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1

Excellent review as always. What I found was most important was the fact that, other than QB, the Bills have depth. Sure, Barkley had a few deep throws but, overall, he missed quite a few passes. 

Beane has assembled a very strong team, going far down the roster, that is ‘Championship Caliber’. Sure, anything can happen, but between now and then but this team is definitively ready for a run. 

🏈🦬

Thanks again for another awesome season of write-ups. For me the game isn’t complete, until I read these. You are by far, my favorite Bills columnist. 

Cory Bojorquéz! I’m not trying to harken back to the Brian Moorman days, but this kid can kick. 

The second string defense looked awesome. Andre Smith looked like an uncaged animal. Dane Jackson looked fantastic, Harrison Phillips was all over the field. You’re right when you say that the TEAM is successful right now. 

I couldn’t believe the bomb to Gabriel Davis. That complete goes against every preconceived notion about McDermott. To go up by over 30, again in the game was unprecedented. I love it.

The league is on notice. I was scared to say it, but not anymore. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Was McDermott planning to end Allen’s day by giving Barkley the last snaps of the first half?.  It sure seemed like 21-6 was the right time for a conservative coach to let the air out of the ball.  Oh, no!  Not this team!  Here comes Allen for a final drive.  Four plays, 75-yards.  BAM!!!  Oh, by the way, John Brown is back. 

The game was over at half time. 

I will venture to say that the game was NOT over at half time.....the game ended when Josh Norman had the pick 6.  Things were interesting at that point.  After that?  The wind was outa the sails of the marine mammals........

As always shaw66!!!

MANY THANKS!!!!

Gonna be an interesting ride.....feel sorry for Frank but he knows the house he walks into......only wish I was there screaming!!!!

8 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I will venture to say that the game was NOT over at half time.....the game ended when Josh Norman had the pick 6.  Things were interesting at that point.  After that?  The wind was outa the sails of the marine mammals........

As always shaw66!!!

MANY THANKS!!!!

Gonna be an interesting ride.....feel sorry for Frank but he knows the house he walks into......only wish I was there screaming!!!!

Technically, yes.  That ended it.  

But as I look back at the game, the Bills had established who was in charge by halftime.  There were plays that still had to be made, and the Dolphins might make the score a little closer, but no one thought the Dolphins really had a chance, not with an offense that could score at will.  

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Technically, yes.  That ended it.  

But as I look back at the game, the Bills had established who was in charge by halftime.  There were plays that still had to be made, and the Dolphins might make the score a little closer, but no one thought the Dolphins really had a chance, not with an offense that could score at will.  

Basically I agree, all of us Bills fans thought that but the general fans out there??? - the marine mammals weren't going to take over but the pick six put the nail into the collective oh we are gonna come back idea real quick!  After that play the general fan was HOLY CRAP.....these dudes is gooood.

16 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

As always shaw66!!!

MANY THANKS!!!!

I mean even if we didn't score in the 2nd half we'd be up 28-26.

The past three weeks everyone on the team from the coaches to the players has realized they are dominant. That confidence combined with the talent is unstoppable. I don't think McDermott has suddenly become an aggressive coach out of nowhere. He's just learned to trust his players to get it done. Why not have Barkley throw a deep bomb to Davis? He knows both players are preparing like they're the starters in practice all week. He knows even if they fail there are other successful plays or the defense to pick up the slack. Everything I know about McDermott makes me think he is a big believer in momentum so he used this game as an opportunity to take his team barreling into the playoffs.

I love that after the 1st quarter we were just toying with the Dolphins. It wasn't a matter of if they would be able to stop us, it was a question of how would we embarrass them further? There was one play where the Dolphins threw a quick screen pass to the TE and he got a huge gain on the play. I can't remember how that drive ended, I think with a pick. But on the next drive I swear we ran the same play with Barkley throwing to Knox and it also went for a big gain. I can't say for sure if it was intentional but it felt like Daboll was purposefully mirroring them for fun. "You guys like your plays? Okay, we can run those too. But then we'll actually finish." Beautiful.

Edited by HappyDays

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The past three weeks everyone on the team from the coaches to the players has realized they are dominant. That confidence combined with the talent is unstoppable. I don't think McDermott has suddenly become an aggressive coach out of nowhere. He's just learned to trust his players to get it done. Why not have Barkley throw a deep bomb to Davis? He knows both players are preparing like they're the starters in practice all week. He knows even if they fail there are other successful plays or the defense to pick up the slack. Everything I know about McDermott makes me think he is a big believer in momentum so he used this game as an opportunity to take his team barreling into the playoffs.

I love that after the 1st quarter we were just toying with the Dolphins. It wasn't a matter of if they would be able to stop us, it was a question of how would we embarrass them further? There was one play where the Dolphins threw a quick screen pass to the TE and he got a huge gain on the play. I can't remember how that drive ended, I think with a pick. But on the next drive I swear we ran the same play with Barkley throwing to Knox and it also went for a big gain. I can't say for sure if it was intentional but it felt like Daboll was purposefully mirroring them for fun. "You guys like your plays? Okay, we can run those too. But then we'll actually finish." Beautiful.

This is good stuff.  

You know, I wonder if I had just gone off my rocker, talking about how dominant the Bills were, but it turns out that others were feeling the same thing.  

Interesting comment about the screen to Knox.  I didn't notice that it mimicked a Miami play, but what you say is completely plausible.  Daboll was just a kid, playing with his toy - his offense - in the second half.  There was one shot of him in the press box, leaning against the wall in his chair, watching the game.  He didn't have any of the intensity we usually see when they show him.  This time, his posture seemed show a guy comfortable as this machine he'd created was operating almost on autopilot.  

In the locker room after the game, every guy on the Bills must have felt invincible.  For the second week in a row, they'd demonstrated that together they were on a completely new level.  Amazing. 

In the playoffs, they're going to see some teams who are at a different level, too, and it won't be so easy.  But getting to and understanding that level is another step in the progression toward being a great team.  

13 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In the locker room after the game, every guy on the Bills must have felt invincible.

We talk about the depth on the team but really that credit goes to the coaches. Mike Love and Dean Marlowe aren't guys that could go and start anywhere. I would bet they have the same talent level as any other backup or practice squad player in the league. The difference is that, like the Patriots, McDermott and the other coaches have their players ready. Mike Love makes a great tackle for a loss, I bet it's because a coach told him pre-snap to be on the look out for that alignment. Every single player is prepared to be the best version of themselves game in and game out. That's what separating the Bills from every other team in the league right now. Well, that and our superstar QB. But Allen himself is the result of that same mindset.

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We talk about the depth on the team but really that credit goes to the coaches. Mike Love and Dean Marlowe aren't guys that could go and start anywhere. I would bet they have the same talent level as any other backup or practice squad player in the league. The difference is that, like the Patriots, McDermott and the other coaches have their players ready. Mike Love makes a great tackle for a loss, I bet it's because a coach told him pre-snap to be on the look out for that alignment. Every single player is prepared to be the best version of themselves game in and game out. That's what separating the Bills from every other team in the league right now. Well, that and our superstar QB. But Allen himself is the result of that same mindset.

Happy, this is exactly right.  Exactly.  

I've been watching this happen for a couple of years now, and it's why I've been so optimistic about the Bills.   Others have seen it, too, I'm sure.  And I didn't really understand the power of this process until yesterday.  It was football on another level.  

So I was getting to the end of what you wrote, and got to "Well, that and our superstar QB."  The instant I read that, before I read another word, I thought "but Allen is the product of the same process."   Then I read on, and there it was.  

It's an amazing thing.  (And as I've been saying for a couple of years now, it's what the Patriots learned to do with their team, year after year.)

Edited by Shaw66
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2021 at 11:34 AM, HappyDays said:

Dean Marlowe has been in as a substitute for injured safety before and played very well.

He was not picked on by QB like some of CBs were.