49ers sign Josh Rosen

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It will be a QB at #2 whether that is the Jets or a team trading up. Book it. 

I am less confident on which QB it will be at #2 but a gun to my head right now I'd probably say Trey Lance. 

Can’t argue with that.  He’s a talented kid.  I think it’s a 3 man race with Lance, Wilson and possibly Field with Trask and maybe Mac Jones being first rd picks for some playoff teams 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, and this is where I went wrong in the lead up to the 2018 draft....I think what keeps Josh Rosen from making it in the league is basically, coming across as a douche.   He thinks he's intelligent and knows it, to the point where his thoughts are a problem.

I forget now who it was, but being asked to explain or justify the Rosen-dissing, one of our regulars offered this explanation.  He just assumes he's the smartest guy in the room.  If you asked beforehand, which of the QB class would have the highest score on the Wonderlic, Josh Rosen would assume he'd be that guy.  Told that his good Wonderlic score of 29 was a distant second to Josh Allen's score of 37, he'd immediately have a bunch of justifications why the score doesn't reflect his true scope of intelligence.  Which it probably doesn't, but that's not the point - when you're faced with news that something cleaned your clock, the right answer is along the lines of "Wow, great result for Allen!  Big Brain!"

The same affect that made me listen to him and say to myself "man, if I have to hear that in postgame pressers I'll be diving for the off button by the 3rd game of the season and my friends will be asking "what took you so long?" probably works on his teammates too.

All that said, I think Rosen is probably a good-hearted guy who would be the kind of friend that comes through for people in the clutch.  He's just the one that takes you by surprise when he does it because you don't expect it from how he normally behaves, if any of you recognize that from your friend groups.

Yea wouldn't be at all surprised if that was true, even though I'd hesitate to go as far. What I do know if that this kids parents were both incredibly successful, ivy league educated, and went out of their way to ensure that Rosen was on a successful path to adulthood, whether football or otherwise, with a large world view.  That may sound like a criticism from me, but it's actually the opposite - as a parent, I'd hope to be able to give my kids such a platform to succeed off of as well.  But there's costs to that, as we've discussed here. 

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can’t argue with that.  He’s a talented kid.  I think it’s a 3 man race with Lance, Wilson and possibly Field with Trask and maybe Mac Jones being first rd picks for some playoff teams 

I just think if I am a GM and I need a QB and I have them close I am looking at what has worked in the league the last few years...  Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray and I think if you are gambling Lance is the guy. 

That said I haven't got much into any of their film yet. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just think if I am a GM and I need a QB and I have them close I am looking at what has worked in the league the last few years...  Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray and I think if you are gambling Lance is the guy. 

That said I haven't got much into any of their film yet. 

I agree.....if you have them all rated close.  All it takes is one team to fall in love with one QB to change that. 

looking at the top 10, the jags, Jets (possibly), Atlanta, Carolina look like the only teams that are unsettled at QB.  Throw dallas in the mix, but I think they’ll resign Dak.  Niners at 12 is followed by several teams that could be in the market for qb.  Several teams that could be looking to move up.  Maybe not to #2, but ahead of the niners, Broncos, pats, Vikings, bears, raiders all picking 12-20

28 minutes ago, appoo said:

On Darnold...wouldn't surprise me to see he has a Tannehill like resurrection. 

If he lands in Indy or Sf, I expect exactly that

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, appoo said:

I think so myself. 

There are some coaches where after a bit you start to see a pattern. 

Prior to Gase, Tannehill had productivity as a QB that most of us would have been happy with most of the last 2 decades.  Not lighting the league or anyone's hair on fire, but capable of moving the ball, limiting "harm's way", and generating enough passing offense to win with the right pieces around him.

Under Gase, Tannehill's passing production plummeted and his TD/INT ratio soared.  Moved to Tennessee, and his QB abilities magically refreshed themselves.

People forget now that Darnold showed some promise his rookie season.  Instead of taking a step forward under Gase, he took a step back.

I think he's worth another look without [Edit:] Gase in the equation, but it would probably help him to move on from NY

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he's worth another look without Tannehill in the equation, but it would probably help him to move on from NY

You mean without Gase in the equation..... 

I agree though. Ideally a fresh start would be best for him.

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Question is do the Jets build around him or trade him and build around someone else. The cap shouldn't be an issue but not sure new management wants to stick with a guy like Darnold when they could start completely fresh. 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree.....if you have them all rated close.  All it takes is one team to fall in love with one QB to change that. 

looking at the top 10, the jags, Jets (possibly), Atlanta, Carolina look like the only teams that are unsettled at QB.  Throw dallas in the mix, but I think they’ll resign Dak.  Niners at 12 is followed by several teams that could be in the market for qb.  Several teams that could be looking to move up.  Maybe not to #2, but ahead of the niners, Broncos, pats, Vikings, bears, raiders all picking 12-20

If he lands in Indy or Sf, I expect exactly that

I can't see the Jets trading him in conference as if he turns his career around it going to be tough pill to swallow. The 49ers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers and Redskins could use a QB. 

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Question is do the Jets build around him or trade him and build around someone else. The cap shouldn't be an issue but not sure new management wants to stick with a guy like Darnold when they could start completely fresh. 

I can't see the Jets trading him in conference as if he turns his career around it going to be tough pill to swallow. The 49ers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers and Redskins could use a QB. 

They may not, but If the colts offer the most-best compilation of picks/assets they certainly might.  

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

As a penn stater I’ve been watching Justin Fields since a junior in High School, when we began seriously recruiting him and he committed to us, and then again with Ohio State as he tortured Penn State the last 2 years.  

My scouting report on him was that he has elite accuracy to all points of the field, good straight line speed, above average arm strength, poor escapability, and doesn’t always manage the pocket well.

this season, I have huge doubts about his ability to handle pressure. 

I say all this because prior to the last 2 games, I would have locked in Fields at the #2 for either the Jags or the Jets.

Right now, I sort of lean towards the Jets finding a new GM/Coach combo, keeping Darnold, and then trading down and snag Jamar Chase out of LSU, and then taking another WR with their next pick. 

I would give Darnold another shot than going with Fields, Lance or Wilson 

Edited by appoo

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, and this is where I went wrong in the lead up to the 2018 draft....I think what keeps Josh Rosen from making it in the league is basically, coming across as a douche.   He thinks he's intelligent and knows it, to the point where his thoughts are a problem.

I forget now who it was, but being asked to explain or justify the Rosen-dissing, one of our regulars offered this explanation.  He just assumes he's the smartest guy in the room.  If you asked beforehand, which of the QB class would have the highest score on the Wonderlic, Josh Rosen would assume he'd be that guy.  Told that his good Wonderlic score of 29 was a distant second to Josh Allen's score of 37, he'd immediately have a bunch of justifications why the score doesn't reflect his true scope of intelligence.  Which it probably doesn't, but that's not the point - when you're faced with news that something cleaned your clock, the right answer is along the lines of "Wow, great result for Allen!  Big Brain!"

The same affect that made me listen to him and say to myself "man, if I have to hear that in postgame pressers I'll be diving for the off button by the 3rd game of the season and my friends will be asking "what took you so long?" probably works on his teammates too.

All that said, I think Rosen is probably a good-hearted guy who would be the kind of friend that comes through for people in the clutch.  He's just the one that takes you by surprise when he does it because you don't expect it from how he normally behaves, if any of you recognize that from your friend groups.

Not discounting anything you are stating, but pretty sure most people think Aaron Rodgers is an odd guy and off putting to many. A douche? Maybe not that bad. But he has talent so he can act any way he wants. 

If Rosen can play no one will care if he is a jerk.

Most of the bickering Bills thought Kelly was a dick.

17 hours ago, mannc said:

No, i don’t think Darnold can play, but I won’t say it’s impossible for him to become a decent starting QB in the league eventually.  

I kinda doubt there will be much of a market for the 2nd overall pick once Lawrence is gone.  Fields seems to be fading a bit as a prospect, but on the other hand, there are going to be a ton of QB-needy teams this year, so who knows..

While Lawrence may be the consensus top pick (assuming he declares) there is still plenty of intrigue in other prospects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/23/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-2021/

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not discounting anything you are stating, but pretty sure most people think Aaron Rodgers is an odd guy and off putting to many. A douche? Maybe not that bad. But he has talent so he can act any way he wants. 

If Rosen can play no one will care if he is a jerk.

Most of the bickering Bills thought Kelly was a dick.

Valid points.  Talent ascends over everything.

As far as the Bickering Bills, Tasker has said straight out that early on, neither Bruce Smith nor Jim Kelly were "likeable people" but apparently part of the transition from "Bickering Bills" to Superbowl Team was that they learned to get along.

My point was really to the chance of Josh Rosen becoming a Ryan Fitzpatrick type.  By all accounts, Fitz has been a super caring "people person" from Day1 in the league.  If you're a backup/journeyman you gotta be likeable to the guys and helpful to the starter.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:03 AM, benderbender said:

I remember the groans when we passed on Rosen. But Mina Kimes reaction will stay with me always.

I never heard of Mina, so I searched a little.

ESPN wonders why they have to lay off hundreds of employees and why their ratings are in the basement.

Meet ESPN's Unlikely Rising Star Football Guru: Mina Kimes

With COVID rules does anyone know when Rosen will be eligible to play?

Edited by stosh64

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think so myself. 

There are some coaches where after a bit you start to see a pattern. 

Prior to Gase, Tannehill had productivity as a QB that most of us would have been happy with most of the last 2 decades.  Not lighting the league or anyone's hair on fire, but capable of moving the ball, limiting "harm's way", and generating enough passing offense to win with the right pieces around him.

Under Gase, Tannehill's passing production plummeted and his TD/INT ratio soared.  Moved to Tennessee, and his QB abilities magically refreshed themselves.

People forget now that Darnold showed some promise his rookie season.  Instead of taking a step forward under Gase, he took a step back.

I think he's worth another look without [Edit:] Gase in the equation, but it would probably help him to move on from NY

What do you guys see in Darnold that makes you think he’d be successful someplace else? Your comments about Tannehill are valid - he was not a bad QB before Gase, wasn’t great but wasn’t Darnold bad either. He went to a place that maximized his talents and he’s been having success using play action behind the best running game in the NFL. Good for TN, they recognized what he can do well and are putting Tannehill in a position to succeed. Darnold on the other hand has shown nothing. As bad as a situation he’s been placed in with the Jets, he’s the definition of a bust after 3 years. He had a couple games where he made some Wow plays outside the structure of the offense, that’s it. His pocket presence has regressed, his decision making has regressed, he’s done nothing to decrease his penchant for turnovers and if he wasn’t the #3 overall pick he’d be competing with Rosen for a practice squad spot.

• Like (+1) 1