Tre campaigning to get a real buffalo as the Bills mascot(video)...hilarious

Big Turk

8 hours ago, simpleman said:

This is not at all that crazy or stupid. There is at least one bison farm in our area. The cost of having the farm care for another bison  along with its herd and drive it to home games 8 plus times a year would be peanuts to the Bills.  I bet the advertisement and free publicity it would provide to the farm and its products would be priceless beyond already being paid to house and care for another bison as part of their existing herd. Bison do not have to come from the midwest. They are bred and raised locally. They are not wild animals. Any more than cows or sheep, or lambs, pigs, chickens are. They are farm animals.  It could easily be done. One nearby bison farm :

http://www.mapleridgebisonranch.com/index.html

That's the place I thought of also. Just need to find someone that can train it next. 

6 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

PETA will be protesting at every home game, no thanks.

That won't last more than one game. Bills fans will be throwing meat at them. 

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I knew a guy who'd been a "Ralphie Runner" at CU. It was a job that seemed to go to a certain subset of the frat boys. We used to kid him about having a line in his resume listing this as an activity, but the joke was on us -- he said it was always an ice-breaker in interviews, and the guy is now a partner in a leading Silicon Valley law firm. I think he was a decent distance runner, but by no means a sprinter. "Ralphie" was always a female bison to keep things a little more manageable.

I sense that I'm in the minority, but I actually love this idea. As others have said, there are bison ranches scattered around the eastern part of the country, and we're not talking about a dismal life for the animal here. 

And I'm ready to dump the un-PC and dated "Bills" altogether. Washington is showing us the way. The Buffalo Football Club with a real-live bison mascot. Get it done, Tre!

First, I certainly believe 99% of football fans in the US even know Bills came from a naming contest in 1946 by the first Bills team.  Even so, 99.9% of young Americans even know who is Buffalo Bill Cody, nor what he actually was known to do 150 years ago.

If the Dolphins can actually have a dolphin, and so on, what is the harm if humanely treated borrowing and training a Buffalo from one of these farms.  Honestly, I don’t even know if you can train a Buffalo.  Some animals can’t be trained.  You can’t train an alligator.  Honestly, I’ve never heard anyone on this board is a licensed Veteranarian, but if so, please enlighten us lay people.

17 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I'm glad they are kidding as this is an incredibly stupid idea. No one should take this seriously. 

A buffalo (bison, actually) is a wild animal. This is no different than a circus elephant or an orca at Seaworld. A domesticated animal like a horse or cow, fine. They are bred to be around people and trainable. The stress on a bison to do this would be just cruel. I know teams have done stupid s#$t like this in the past and some college teams still likely use wild animals in cages as "mascots" (see: Mike the Tiger @ LSU). People have gotten a lot more sensible and aware of what this does to wild animals and the public outcry you'd get for doing this would be enough to stop it and make the team look like dopes.

My 2 cents.

Would it be cruel if the Richmond Spiders loaded up there opponents locker room with tarantulas?

18 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I'm glad they are kidding as this is an incredibly stupid idea. No one should take this seriously. 

A buffalo (bison, actually) is a wild animal. This is no different than a circus elephant or an orca at Seaworld. A domesticated animal like a horse or cow, fine. They are bred to be around people and trainable. The stress on a bison to do this would be just cruel. I know teams have done stupid s#$t like this in the past and some college teams still likely use wild animals in cages as "mascots" (see: Mike the Tiger @ LSU). People have gotten a lot more sensible and aware of what this does to wild animals and the public outcry you'd get for doing this would be enough to stop it and make the team look like dopes.

My 2 cents.

You are wrong about Bison being 100% wild.  Over 98% of “wild” bison have been cross bred with domestic cows.  There is only one herd of genetically pure Bison left in the United States.  Bison require stronger fencing than steer or dairy cows but are very manageable.  We own 12 goats and our larg animal veterinarian has a herd of 20+ bison.  She handles them no problem, and especially when born on a farm are quite docile, relatively speaking.  There are also many more Bison on grams than there are in the wild.  Finding and “saving” a farm bison scheduled for slaughter would be viewed in a positive light.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

PETA will be protesting at every home game, no thanks.

Heck I’ll join them if it means I get to be at the game!

Yeah peaceful protest!! 

Ok now we NEED to get one. PETA FTW

9 hours ago, Andy1 said:

It’s a fun idea but that’s all it is. Bisons are huge bad ass beasts. They may look docile standing in a field but when they decide to move, they can pretty much do whatever they want and are not easily controlled, and that’s how they should be. 

University of Colorado runs a small bison on the field with leashes attached to a herd of athletes running as fast as they can to keep up with it and control it. To me it just looks stupid, showing mans control over the wild animal. One mistake, and someone is getting seriously injured. I’d rather the team use video of real bison in nature on the big screen instead of trying to bring one into a stadium of screaming fans.

But like, isn’t a mascot supposed to be a representative of your team?

I would think a crazy beast that can only be contained by a legion of athletes sends exactly the right message 🤣 

1 hour ago, Dirtyd415 said:

You are wrong about Bison being 100% wild.  Over 98% of “wild” bison have been cross bred with domestic cows.  There is only one herd of genetically pure Bison left in the United States.  Bison require stronger fencing than steer or dairy cows but are very manageable.  We own 12 goats and our larg animal veterinarian has a herd of 20+ bison.  She handles them no problem, and especially when born on a farm are quite docile, relatively speaking.  There are also many more Bison on grams than there are in the wild.  Finding and “saving” a farm bison scheduled for slaughter would be viewed in a positive light.

Is this really true?  Are you saying Ralphie the Colorado Buffalo is part cow?  When I go to my nearby park that has a bison herd they're part cow? What's the % on the cross-breeding?

I'm not sure you really want a large cow on the sidelines or running through the stadium.  But having our own "Ralphie runners" would be kinda cool

Kim should give Tre a performance target: "X INT, Y PBU, something grade by the coach and I'll buy you a Buffalo"

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is this really true?  Are you saying Ralphie the Colorado Buffalo is part cow?  When I go to my nearby park that has a bison herd they're part cow? What's the % on the cross-breeding?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/genetically-pure-bison-return-montana-after-100-years-exile-180958597/

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Honestly, I don’t even know if you can train a Buffalo.  Some animals can’t be trained.  You can’t train an alligator.  Honestly, I’ve never heard anyone on this board is a licensed Veteranarian, but if so, please enlighten us lay people.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish ......... Ohhhhhhhhhh ......... TRAIN ....... never mind.

Edited by Gen2

8 hours ago, Dirtyd415 said:

You are wrong about Bison being 100% wild.  Over 98% of “wild” bison have been cross bred with domestic cows.  There is only one herd of genetically pure Bison left in the United States.  Bison require stronger fencing than steer or dairy cows but are very manageable.  We own 12 goats and our large animal veterinarian has a herd of 20+ bison.  She handles them no problem, and especially when born on a farm are quite docile, relatively speaking.  There are also many more Bison on grams than there are in the wild.  Finding and “saving” a farm bison scheduled for slaughter would be viewed in a positive light.

Great points. I didn't realize how few "pure" bison still existed although it makes sense given they were almost hunted to extinction. 

BTW, I never said "100% wild". Even cross-bred Bison are more Bison than cow. Similarly, you can get a wolf/dog cross breed but it's still dangerous as hell. "Manageable" and domesticated are very different things. The inability to domesticate bison over thousands of years is testament to the difficultly in getting to a bison that isn't dangerous. It's one of the key reasons that Native American culture fell behind Eurasian cultures technologically. Jared Diamond wrote the Pulitzer Prize winning book "Guns, Germs and Steel" about this topic and pointed to the bison's inability to be domesticated as a key factor in European dominance of North America. 

In any case, I'm sure they are joking because they know (at least Kim Pegula does), that having a bison paraded around the stadium would draw a lot of bison feces on the PR front. I can hear Bills' leadership saying, "Yes but they aren't completely wild...er...98% aren't pure...er...we're firing our PR department'