Tyree Jackson working out for Eagles at TE (update - signed)

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Tyree made a big mistake leaving UB early.  He needed work and polish and another year in school would have helped.  He might have even gotten himself drafted and teams are more likely to give extended chances to guys they've invested a draft pick in, versus UDFAs.  I hope the switch to TE works out for him and he finds his way.  It's always good to see local kids, or kids who attended school locally, succeed.

I have always wonder what kind of advice he got from others and if he listened.  I’m sure many thought Josh should have stayed in college another year since he was rough around the edges but at least he knew he was getting drafted.

Tyree must have known there was a risk of not getting selected.   Maybe he was getting bad guidance.   I get why he left.   Accomplished a lot, graduated already I believe.   But a fringe QB should always stay in school if they have eligibility.   Should be a no-brainer.  Especially if they play in a mid-major conference. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I have always wonder what kind of advice he got from others and if he listened.  I’m sure many thought Josh should have stayed in college another year since he was rough around the edges but at least he knew he was getting drafted.

Tyree must have known there was a risk of not getting selected.   Maybe he was getting bad guidance.   I get why he left.   Accomplished a lot, graduated already I believe.   But a fringe QB should always stay in school if they have eligibility.   Should be a no-brainer.  Especially if they play in a mid-major conference. 

If player plays in a mid-major conference, did well and had eligibility left player should try transferring to grad school at another college which would give player more experience and chance of being drafted lower.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If player plays in a mid-major conference, did well and had eligibility left player should try transferring to grad school at another college which would give player more experience and chance of being drafted lower.

I know he entered the portal to transfer so I assume he tried.   Not sure why it didn’t work out.

I can see that being big risk too.  If Jackson doesn’t win the job or gets benched it would have been over.   No chance of getting drafted.  

7 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Logan Thomas was a highly recruited tight end coming out of high school.....wasn’t like it was much of a transition for him.

Wrong Logan Thomas.  The one being discussed here was a QB through college.  He was QB at Virginia Tech after Tyrod left and was drafted as a QB by Cardinals.

11 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Tyree made a big mistake leaving UB early.  He needed work and polish and another year in school would have helped.  He might have even gotten himself drafted and teams are more likely to give extended chances to guys they've invested a draft pick in, versus UDFAs.  I hope the switch to TE works out for him and he finds his way.  It's always good to see local kids, or kids who attended school locally, succeed.

Pretty much every former UB or NFL player that I talked to about Tyree said pretty much the exact same thing. “Idk who he was talking to but they gave him bad advice to leave UB”  

I think it was his dad giving him the terrible advice. 

Didn’t he try out with the lions as well a couple weeks ago at TE too?

38 minutes ago, cage said:

Wrong Logan Thomas.  The one being discussed here was a QB through college.  He was QB at Virginia Tech after Tyrod left and was drafted as a QB by Cardinals.

You might want to check again

E242FDFF-B482-4413-9A3E-B8F23439F3D8.jpeg

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great. If he works out we will have posters telling us how the Bills should have known this and kept hold of him just in case..... the way we should apparently have demonstrated our commitment to improving our tight end room by holding onto a converted Quarterback who showed almost nothing in Logan Thomas, just in case he had a breakout season aged 29.....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cage said:

Go do your research .......he was recruited as a TE out of college. Va-Tech wanted him as a QB and all the other schools recruited him as a TE. I know this because I’m a FSU fan and we recruited him as a TE. I also know this because he played at Lynchburg and I have family in Altavista which is 20 minutes away and I remember hearing about this kid.......he played QB and WR in high school.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/logan-thomas-24017

16 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Absolutely, I said this once he announced he was leaving school. Guy could have easily been drafted if he returned to UB for a final year and performed. He had far more to lose by declaring for the NFL draft than staying in school. If he stayed in school and got injured he would have been an UDFA, which is what happened anyways. If he ended up playing well he easily would have been drafted, possibly as high as the 3rd round IMO. 

8 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Definitely a different scenario for a potential 1st rounder (high first rounder in Josh’s case). If Tyree were being discussed as a first rounder he absolutely should have declared. In his case he had far more to gain by returning to school. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Tyree Jackson working out for Eagles at TE (update - signed)