McD has developed Josh Allen into an elite QB. What about all our failed QBs

After watching #17 wipe the floor with the 49ers on MNF I'm amazed how the Bills developed Josh into a top tier QB. Obviously Josh had the talent but the organization needed to maximize his abilities. Especially when you consider the way Darnold has imploded under Gase.  We were fortunate to draft Allen but Allen was also fortunate that this Bills organization drafted him.

Looking at all the coaches that we've had since Marv and all the QBs we've had, are there any QBs with whom McD would have had sustained success? Is there another coach on the list that could have gotten the best out of Allen. I'm curious what you all think.

list.jpg

Edited by ProcessAccepted

Everybody on that list is lacking in the most important aspect; none of them are Josh Allen. So no, I doubt McD could have developed any of them more than what they ended up being.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Everybody on that list is lacking in the most important aspect; none of them are Josh Allen. So no, I doubt McD could have developed any of them more than what they ended up being.

Agreed but could he have made a Ryan Tannehill out of any of them. 

42 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Sorry you’ll have to excuse me, I’m cleaning up vomit. 

Your post caused me to click to see the list. I may forgive you some day, because I knew better than to look, but for now I’ll just say you had a very natural reaction. 🤢   🤮 

Bad coaches with bad QB’s rarely ends well. In this case we have a great coaching staff and a self-driven and extremely talented young man at QB. This is a MUCH better formula! 

Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel behind EJ? REALLY? Hats off to Bills fans! What a rugged and loyal group we are! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Sorry you’ll have to excuse me, I’m cleaning up vomit. 

Come on... I am impressed too.  So raw at first. Running around,  etc... You Gotta admit.  Someone worked on his mechanics!

20201209_160809.thumb.jpg.f606eb7cb8633e7079f5b25cb5b7ebb1.jpg

That's the throw he threaded the needle with the outstretched hands of the SF back reaching in vain for the well-placed dart!

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Your post caused me to click to see the list. I may forgive you some day, because I knew better than to look, but for now I’ll just say you had a very natural reaction. 🤢   🤮 

Oops.  I hope that's the proper take.  I thought they were replying to the OP.  Not the list. ???

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come on... I am impressed too.  So raw at first. Running around,  etc... You Gotta admit.  Someone worked on his mechanics!

That's the throw he threaded the needle with the outstretched hands of the SF back reaching in vain for the well-placed dart!

Oops.  I hope that's the proper take.  I thought they were replying to the OP.  Not the list. ???

That's a cool pic.  Looks like he's waiting to catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That's a cool pic.  Looks like he's waiting to catch the ball.

I screen grabbed it from a video.   He was so mechanically dialed in on that pass.  If you recall, that's the one with the SF back trying to reach it.  I couldn't get that in there.   What a dagger.   I don't pay attention too much to the mechanical stuff, but stuck out like a sore thumb. Perfection! Good catch by Beasley on the fly of course sealed the deal!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I screen grabbed it from a video.   He was so mechanically dialed in on that pass.  If you recall, that's the one with the SF back trying to reach it.  I couldn't get that in there.   What a dagger.   I don't pay attention too much to the mechanical stuff, but stuck out like a sore thumb. Perfection! Good catch by Beasley on the fly of course sealed the deal!

It was a terrible decision and he got lucky that the ball wasn't tipped or intercepted.  

Kidding.

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD most certainly has not. But he HAS surrounded Allen with the right people who have and trusted them to do their job properly.

Beane also haa done a fantastic job retooling rhe entire offensive skill positions around him to the point we don't have a single player on there that has been with the team before the 2018 season. That is an impressive reboot taking a team with some of the worst overall skill position talent to some of the best.

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The work he's done to improve his mechanics has been pretty amazing to watch. Last year he was better, but it didn't quite seem like the muscle memory was totally there yet and he'd get a little bit sloppy when things weren't perfect. This year, even in dirty pockets and with guys in his face, he's got much better mechanics. Even if it doesn't look like they're great, he's keeping his left arm closer to keep his body from flying open and he's keeping his shoulders square to the throw. 

Awesome pic by the way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I actually think a good coach could have developed Trent Edwards. He was never going to be a top 10 guy but I think he could have had a good career. 
He ended up completely shell shocked by the end and was so scared to be hit. He was just a few years too early or he might of stuck around a bit. In today’s NFL with the constant misdirection and motions I think edwards could have success in a scheme like buffalo or San Fran or Carolina that likes to throw a lot of stuff around the line of scrimmage and use dump down throws to running backs. 

I'd put Bledsoe in the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks category" so rule him out.

Taylor, Fitz, Flutie all lacked arm strength

Johnson could never stay healthy

Manual and Losman not sure they just had the overall talent and likely were drafted much higher than they should have been.

The only one left is Edwards who I'd give a maybe to, but would need to tailor the offense around his skills. 

I think a lot of the credit for Allen's development should go to himself. I think the organization as a whole has put him in a position to succeed. I wonder how much teaching is done working on the basics when you have to install your plays and go over the playbook. I am sure there are drills and tips provided. However, I think the majority of the work Allen has done in the offseason with Palmer has helped develop his raw skills and fix some of the mechanical issues he had.

• Like (+1) 3