Something that I worry about...would we see a Wentz like regression in Allen if Daboll leaves?

Big Turk

Everything that Daboll has been doing here will make him a hot commodity. Team will watch his offense from just this year and he will be a HC somewhere next season if he wants it, no doubt about it. The Bills should already be anticipating this and on the lookout for a new OC. Depending on who it is I could see Allen having a regression but not as bad a Wentz. 

21 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

I understand your concern but hasn't the Eagles lost some of the O line talent and WR talent that they had when Wentz was doing really good a few yrs back ? 

I know the other day the commentators were saying how he didn't have time in the pocket and his receivers aren't doing him any favors . If a QB doesn't have 2 rings at the very least they can't succeed they need protection and some one that will catch a ball when it's thrown to them if you got that they at least have something to work with .

If not Brady has shown even if your the GOAT you can't make it work .

1 hour ago, TonyBeets said:

It baffles me that there are people that feel as if the problem in Philly is Wentz.  They have a practice squad of an offense.  That front office needs to be fired.

The front office? How are they to blame for the injuries? The best 3 of their five starting oline done for the year, both of their tight ends have missed significant time as has their dynamic running back and all their receivers have been hurt at one time or another. The one area you can point to where the front office has done a bad job is in drafting receivers. I never liked the Arcega-Whiteside pick I had a mid 4th round grade on him coming out to take him in the 2nd was crazy to me. I thought they over drafted Reagor too taking him in the first, but not as gratuitously and I do think he will turn out to be a decent player.... he just isn't a #1 receiver type to me.

But a part of the problem in Philly IS most definitely Carson Wentz. He is just playing Quarterback badly. He is holding the ball forever, he is spinning out of clean pockets, he is short hopping balls..... it is really ugly to watch. Joe Burrow had a disaster zone of an oline infront of him and a rookie in Higgins and a clapped out shell of AJ Green to throw to but he was still making plays. I think Wentz's biggest issue is he is really bad at making the routine plays. And while everyone loves the play where the QB avoids the rush escapes the pocket and the with pressure in his face completes a ball 35 yards downfield... that is pretty useless if he can't then find a 6 yard out on 1st down to get you into manageable down and distance. It just isn't the way to live as an NFL starting Quarterback. One of the things Josh McCown could be seeing trying to drill into him last year on All or Nothing was that playing NFL Quarterback is about stacking completions. That is where we have seen year to year regression in Wentz. His ability to just do the routine and stack completions. All or Nothing is an apt way to describe watching him play and at the moment because his confidence has nose dived and his mechanics have completely broken down, more often than not it is nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, T master said:

I understand your concern but hasn't the Eagles lost some of the O line talent and WR talent that they had when Wentz was doing really good a few yrs back ? 

I know the other day the commentators were saying how he didn't have time in the pocket and his receivers aren't doing him any favors . If a QB doesn't have 2 rings at the very least they can't succeed they need protection and some one that will catch a ball when it's thrown to them if you got that they at least have something to work with .

If not Brady has shown even if your the GOAT you can't make it work .

So for all the people saying "it isn't Wentz" I really encourage you to go and watch some all22 of Eagles games and you will see why he is a big part of the problem. 

20201203-135136.jpg

Look at the screenshot above (this is pretty high tech for me lol). This is a 2nd and 13 play from the first quarter the other night. Good protection. Two open receivers. The orange dot receiver is a catch and run that gets you, at worst, 3rd and manageable. The red dot is past the sticks and open for an easy 1st down.... where does Wentz go? To the covered purple dot who might have half a step but is a low percentage throw with the safety on his way across to help. The ball was incomplete the Eagles went 3 and out.

Not a bad chance to take in isolation. But the tape is full of plays just like this one. He has to be able to make the routine plays that are there. He is missing completions all over the place that move the sticks because he is trying to force big plays. It is really BAD quarterbacking. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Eagles fans I hear on 97.5 disagree with you.

Peterson has been a dismal failure as a playcaller since Reich left.

Folks who call into sports radio dont really prove anything. If you told me "fans I hear on WGR disagree with you" it would only solidify my opinions as correct.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Watching Wentz looking absolutely clueless this year and badly regressing makes me really wonder...how much was Reich responsible for his successes? It seems like he started downhill once Reich left and this year he has hit rock bottom...he may no longer be a starting caliber QB in this league.

And that is what I worry about with Allen a little bit...Daboll has been instrumental to his success and maturation into a star for us...how much would Allen regress(if at all) if Daboll leaves for a HC coaching job this offseason.  There are expected to be a lot of opening, more so than any other year in recent memory perhaps, and Daboll has been a hot name for a year or two now.

Wentz hasn’t regressed...the team around him isn’t as good. He hasn’t had a stable OL group and starters are out.

36 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Wentz hasn’t regressed...the team around him isn’t as good. He hasn’t had a stable OL group and starters are out.

Wentz 100% has regressed. His fundamentals are shot right now.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I think that Allen would be fine with another OC as long as it wasn't some idiot who thinks he's God's gift to offensive football and installs an offense that doesn't fit Allen's skills and demands that Allen be something he's not.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

He really, really, really has. Please go and watch some of the film. The Brian Baldinger break downs on his twitter this week do a better job than I can but he talks about the same play I screenshotted above as well as a number of others from the Seattle game. Yes - his supporting cast is bad. But Wentz is playing badly besides that. There are numerous plays each week that are just on Carson Wentz. Holding the ball, misfiring with bad mechanics and failing to make simple reads.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He really, really, really has. Please go and watch some of the film. The Brian Baldinger break downs on his twitter this week do a better job than I can but he talks about the same play I screenshotted above as well as a number of others from the Seattle game. Yes - his supporting cast is bad. But Wentz is playing badly besides that. There are numerous plays each week that are just on Carson Wentz. Holding the ball, misfiring with bad mechanics and failing to make simple reads.

Check out the link I posted up page. You're exactly right. 

Wentz hasn't "regressed" actually, he's the same terrible QB he has always been. He no longer has RG Brandon Brooks and RT Lane Johnson (best Right Side OL in Football) to prop him up. Wentz has never been a good NFL QB, it was just being covered up by the Eagles supporting cast around him. Now, he is being badly exposed.

Wentz was a System QB in 2017, a byproduct of the O-Line and system.

Wentz 2017-19 was being carried by his Right Guard Brandon Brooks - the true MVP of the Eagles.

28 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that Allen would be fine with another OC as long as it wasn't some idiot who thinks he's God's gift to offensive football and installs an offense that doesn't fit Allen's skills and demands that Allen be something he's not.

Which would leave out .....how many of the current league OC crop?

It's very strange to me that coaches who believe they should fit their offense or defense to the best skills of their best players seem more rare than the kind who run a specific scheme and demand that their players fit in or GTFO.  Arians and Brady are probably the current best example.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Wentz hasn't "regressed" actually, he's the same terrible QB he has always been. He no longer has RG Brandon Brooks and RT Lane Johnson (best Right Side OL in Football) to prop him up. Wentz has never been a good NFL QB, it was just being covered up by the Eagles supporting cast around him. Now, he is being badly exposed.

Wentz 2017-19 was being carried by his Right Guard Brandon Brooks - the true MVP of the Eagles.

The coaching staff isn't doing him favors either.  How is a team 3rd in the NFL in YPC, and 28th in carries?  

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

He has. I was never the biggest Wentz fan and I agree Brandon Brooks is an elite guard (although a guard can't carry an offense) but he played better in 2017 and 2018 than he has played for most of 2019 and all of 2020. He was an overrated Quarterback before. He is now a flat out bad Quarterback. 

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The coaching staff isn't doing him favors either.  How is a team 3rd in the NFL in YPC, and 28th in carries?  

`

If I had to guess by watching last game, they run a lot of "give up" 3rd and long plays where they might get 10 or 12 yards but when its 3rd and 20, that doesn't mean much. But it saves Wentz from being teed off on or turning the ball over.