One positive from today...far fewer stuffs in the backfield on run plays

Big Turk

I thought both our running offense and running defense had great games.

On O we rarely had defensive linemen in the backfield disrupting plays which has become commonplace and they were opening up huge holes in the run game.

On D we really stuffed their run game all day long including 2 huge 4th down plays and down by the goalline late in the game. I only remember one big run they have where they looked like they called a perfect play to catch us in a blitz and we ran right by the ballcarrier.

Most of the day we were keeping them in 2nd and 3rd and longs when they tried to run the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Another positive? 

we won. 

Chargers are not a bad football team.  They have a good QB and WRs...and having Ekeler back for them was huge.  Bosa makes their defense dangerous.  I was impressed that our D held them to under 20 points.  Our passing offense wasn't sharp today but we ran the ball effectively.  We need to cut out the stupid penalties.

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Chargers are not a bad football team.  They have a good QB and WRs...and having Ekeler back for them was huge.  Bosa makes their defense dangerous.  I was impressed that our D held them to under 20 points.  Our passing offense wasn't sharp today but we ran the ball effectively.  We need to cut out the stupid penalties.

great teams also win the ugly games. 

my near aneurism today was brought to you by: 20 years of losing this game. 

• Like (+1) 3

I can think of many more positives than that. But I don't think people want to hear those. They want to hear things like "We're clearly the worst team ever" and "Our coaches are so horrible" and "there's no way we could beat team X in the playoffs".

This place makes it feel like we have a losing team, not a team poised to win the division and host a home playoff game for the first time in decades.

We just can't have nice things.

6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Winters is totally useless, and Knox is the worst blocker amongst tight ends I have ever seen. Even Kroft blocks half of the time. At least Lee Smith didn't have any penalties. I think that is a first.

And he had another catch getting Schopp closer to winning his bet 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I can think of many more positives than that. But I don't think people want to hear those. They want to hear things like "We're clearly the worst team ever" and "Our coaches are so horrible" and "there's no way we could beat team X in the playoffs".

This place makes it feel like we have a losing team, not a team poised to win the division and host a home playoff game for the first time in decades.

Not me...I think they are a good team that just has mental lapses during the game at some point. Honestly it might stem from them being in the lead so much that they feel like they are coasting and then let teams back in before slamming the door usually.

Whatever they did in the bye week for the run game worked well and the defense continued to play aggressive which has really been night and day since the Chief game.

I do have some concerns with the offense having so many struggles in the passing game without Brown but it's hard to argue when they are still putting up 27 points and would have likely been 30+ without the fumble near the redzone.

post-game analysis:

the line opened holes for 175 rushing which is great; but Joey Bosa athleticism made the right-side look slow and bad all freaking game

Dawson Knox looks like a one- dimensional pass-catching TE with drops which seem to have improved simply cuz they dont throw to him much or any of our TEs period.

Have our safeties lost a jump-step I mean another hail mary gets answered and they looked flat-footed and slow

we have given up the most point in the NFL in the second-half !!!...that is not what playoff teams do.

All those turnovers in the second-half...that is not what playoff teams do.

Still being gouged for big runs !!! ..that is not what playoff teams do.

Another close win over a loosing team...sigh

SF, Pitts, NE (road) Miami at home for perhaps the division title...here we go..hoping for the best..expecting the worst

14 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

great teams also win the ugly games. 

my near aneurism today was brought to you by: 20 years of losing this game. 

This is exactly what I've been saying 🤣 these great teams we are saying we're not as good as win these ugly games all the time.  We're comparing ourselves to the chiefs and saying we are not playoff caliber but who is when thats the measuring stick lol

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And he had another catch getting Schopp closer to winning his bet 

Not me...I think they are a good team that just has mental lapses during the game at some point. Honestly it might stem from them being in the lead so much that they feel like they are coasting and then let teams back in before slamming the door usually.

Whatever they did in the bye week for the run game worked well and the defense continued to play aggressive which has really been night and day since the Chief game.

I do have some concerns with the offense having so many struggles in the passing game without Brown but it's hard to argue when they are still putting up 27 points and would have likely been 30+ without the fumble near the redzone.

There are plenty of negative things to point out and talk about, and people should. I just don't think it is accurate or fair to make sweeping judgements about how the Bills will perform in the playoffs or against future opponents. If anything, the Bills have showed an uncanny ability to overcome mistakes and pull out wins.

And going through growing pains and still winning football games is a good thing.

But certainly Allen needs to not throw into double coverage. And Singletary needs to hold onto the ball. Those are valid arguments. But for fans to say that the Bills would never beat the Chiefs in the playoffs because Allen threw an INT in the fourth quarter week 12 of the regular season is not accurate or relevant.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Milano back next week should help alot too.  Maybe they've also figured out a role for Klein which with Milano also playing could be a big plus

Maybe back next week. No gauarantee. But the run D will face a major test with Mostert being back for the 49ers...

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'll raise you Joey Bosa's 6 TFL's.

At least 2 were on Allen but the main difference was the D Linemen were not standing in the backfield unblocked waiting for the ballcarrier to get the ball.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Yup, what short memories folk on this forum have, it was only three and half years ago that we were the butt of laughter league wide for seventeen consecutive years.  

Lots of folk that are just miserable every time we win, let alone when we lose, I cannot imagine what it would be like to live that way...

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

post-game analysis:

Another close win over a loosing team...sigh

SF, Pitts, NE (road) Miami at home for perhaps the division title...here we go..hoping for the best..expecting the worst

You missed  @Denver to your list,

And Miami plays:  Bengals,  Chiefs, Raiders, New England and the Bills.

Other than the Bengals game, they have a tough road too...

We have to win against SF next week to keep the one game lead.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is exactly what I've been saying 🤣 these great teams we are saying we're not as good as win these ugly games all the time.  We're comparing ourselves to the chiefs and saying we are not playoff caliber but who is when thats the measuring stick lol

The Chiefs allowed TB to come back from 17-0 and 27-10 leads to hold on 27-24...it just is how the NFL works these days. The only exception is if you get some defensive TDs or a bunch of turnovers where they add to the score, like the Falcons did to the Raiders today.

Edited by matter2003