Tommy Sweeney out for the season - myocarditis

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fortunate that they caught it. Glad that he’s expected back next year. 

It's not "fortunate", in that it's specifically part of the screening protocol for any player who tests positive.  They all have to be screened and cleared by a cardiologist.

8 hours ago, H2o said:

As far as I have heard thus far, he and Ryquell Armstead of the Jaguars are the only two who haven't really bounced back from this like everyone else. 

I don't think we've heard everything  - I mean, people do have a right to private medical information so why would we, especially where coaches or staff are concerned? 

A number of players have been on the covid-19 list for a long time - more than a couple weeks.

59 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m not a doctor but Looks like he might need something like a pacemaker to help regulate his heart 

Not necessarily.  It’s an inflammation. One can fully recover without any long term intervention. but you’re supposed to rest your heart which isn’t exactly compatible with football. 

tough break for him though. 

since he was working to get cleared I suspect it was mild, asymptomatic and they probably caught it on an ekg or something.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

I’m not a doctor but Looks like he might need something like a pacemaker to help regulate his heart 

Not likely - viral myocarditis usually resolves without lasting effects, but high-effort physical activity no bueno until it does. 

Has to be a "dark day" for this young man though, to think that his football career is at risk.  Wish him the best and positive thoughts in this hard time!

9 minutes ago, Reader said:

What is the typical treatment plan for this? Is it something he can recover from fairly easily?

Depends upon specifics.  Rest, possibly anti-inflammatory drugs.  We'll hope so!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depends upon specifics.  Rest, possibly anti-inflammatory drugs.  We'll hope so!

I don't know if anyone else here remembers an article from 2017 that talked about the food the Bill's ate under McD. I know the nutritionists heavily emphasized anti-inflammatory eating. Hopefully they'll be in contact with Sweeney, (I'm sure they will) during this as well to help him.

Just now, Reader said:

I don't know if anyone else here remembers an article from 2017 that talked about the food the Bill's ate under McD. I know the nutritionists heavily emphasized anti-inflammatory eating. Hopefully they'll be in contact with Sweeney, (I'm sure they will) during this as well to help him.

I would love to see that article.

54 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not necessarily.  It’s an inflammation. One can fully recover without any long term intervention. but you’re supposed to rest your heart which isn’t exactly compatible with football. 

tough break for him though. 

Very tough break for his chance of making roster is hard as 7th round pick and he will not have much time to develop before teams consider him not economical to be kept on roster based of minimum salary requirement of NFL-NFLPA agreement. He will have played in 6 started in 1 game in 2 years.

He is lucky to be in job where his full salary is being paid including health benefits. I know some who got ill, had to take short term disability and then needed to fight for long term disability.  He should be looking at further his schooling making him employable if it does not work out.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love to see that article.

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29391/feeding-an-nfl-team-for-a-week-get-700-pounds-of-chicken-for-starters

In addition to shakes, the Bills offer what they call "shooters" -- plastic cups filled with a mix of spices, herbs and liquid. One is called the "veteran" and includes turmeric, lemon, apple cider and cayenne.

"It's highly anti-inflammatory," Greenberg said of the shot. "You have your old guys that are beat up, it's, 'Hey, get yourself a veteran shot.'"

There is also a recovery shot that includes beets, which Greenberg says can help with blood flow post-training.

I had that bookmarked or was that rhetorical request? 

Edited by Limeaid
Reworded response
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Very tough break for his chance of making roster is hard as 7th round pick and he will not have much time to develop before teams consider him not economical to be kept on roster based of minimum salary requirement of NFL-NFLPA agreement. He will have played 1 game in 2 years assuming he is healthy enough to play next year.

I'm having trouble parsing this.  Sweeney played 6 games last season.    Games 1-5 and game 16.  He did particularly well in game 16, where he was 5 for 5 for 76 yds.

He's gonna play 0 games this season. 

How do we get to 1 game in 2 years then?

He is lucky to be in job where his full salary is being paid including health benefits. I know some who got ill, had to take short term disability and then needed to fight for long term disability.  He should be looking at further his schooling making him employable if it does not work out.

Sweeney has a marketing degree from Boston College.  I think with all his sports connections plus the BC thing, he's probably employable as he stands.

I'm unclear on what it means to be on PUP for an NFL team as far as salary - anyone know?  However, Sweeney earned $591,500 in salary and bonus last season, which is  8-9x what "Glassdoor" calls an entry level marketing salary.  I think he'll be OK.

If he does develop a long-term disability through opting-in to a covid-19 afflicted NFL season, they pretty much have to take care of him.  The PR would be terrible if they don't.

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I had it bookmarked or was that rhetorical? 

I'm totally unclear on what's meant by this. 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Hope he gets better, but I struggle to see how he can be listed as an example of the risks of playing... he didn’t play. Did he practice even?

He was in the meetings and working off to the side in practice with the other injured guys

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is a quiet aspect of the NFL's covid-19 protocol that players who test positive for covid-19 must undergo cardiac screening before returning to practice.

That's a great thing. I'm glad that NFL players aren't going back to high octane work with undiscovered issues.

36 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Hope he gets better, but I struggle to see how he can be listed as an example of the risks of playing... he didn’t play. Did he practice even?

Well, he was exposed through Dawson Knox.  I don't think the two of them were engaging in midnight Parcheesi tournaments, though I could be mistaken.

Sarcasm aside, Sweeney has been in the facility, in the TE room at meetings, and at practice on the sidelines with the trainers.  It's how he was exposed.

3 hours ago, Putin said:

2 hours ago, Reader said:

I just don't see a scenario involving a pacemaker... that would be the end of his career. He should be able to beat this with diet.

Glad you mentioned the anti-inflammatory eating, this is exactly what I'm doing if I'm Sweeney... Nothing but clean eating from here on out, his body should resolve the issue just doing this.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

3 hours ago, Putin said:

If it's inflammation than I would assume that everything can return to normal once that inflammation is addressed and healed.