Tommy Sweeney out for the season - myocarditis

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Glad you mentioned the anti-inflammatory eating, this is exactly what I'm doing if I'm Sweeney... Nothing but clean eating from here on out, his body should resolve the issue just doing this.

So one question about players on IR - anyone know?  In the article it stressed that the team's facility is all anti-inflammatory and healthy food - are players on IR still allowed to use the facility and eat there and such?

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So one question about players on IR - anyone know?  In the article it stressed that the team's facility is all anti-inflammatory and healthy food - are players on IR still allowed to use the facility and eat there and such?

Right want too know as well. 

Get well Tommy Sweeney. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a great question, You would think they would still allow players access to help give them easy access to healthy foods choices.

Even if they do normally did COVID force them to put restrictions on access to the facility?

Yes they are.  They are allowed to go there for treatment (they mentioned it at beginning of year) but team still needs to conform to limits so they likely have scheduled times.

Team really should separate facility into two facilities called "Ronnie Jones" and  "Ernie 'Abe' Abramoski" so they can abide by rules and treat both players and COVID/IRs.

Yea it is a little P*tsy skirting rules but would be legal until they changed them.

I actually have met both of those gentlemen outside of WNY and have autographs.

Sarcasm aside, Sweeney has been in the facility, in the TE room at meetings, and at practice on the sidelines with the trainers.  It's how he was exposed.

Unless you know that is how he was exposed you should not state it as fact.

NFL is doing testing to determine if it was internal or external but most of the spread has been from guests inside players and staff homes.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Unless you know that is how he was exposed you should not state it as fact.

NFL is doing testing to determine if it was internal or external but most of the spread has been from guests inside players and staff homes.

The team said the other TE were exposed at a Fri. meeting which Kroft missed due to Baby, so yes, we know. 

Doesn't mean there couldn't be another exposure of course.

5 hours ago, Putin said:

I’m not a doctor but Looks like he might need something like a pacemaker to help regulate his heart 

Presumably when the inflammation disappears the heart rhythm irregularities will resolve themselves.  The question is, do the heart rhythm irregularities present a risk of death from ordinary (not football) activity in the meantime.  If not, they'll just have him wait it out, maybe treating with medications if they can.

6 hours ago, Putin said:

I’m not a doctor but Looks like he might need something like a pacemaker to help regulate his heart 

So, if you’re not a doctor, what prompted you to make this kind of diagnosis? Are you purposefully trying to scare every 20-30 year old who might be reading this thread?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a cardiologist. 

Myocarditis can occur with a wide variety of viruses not just Covid. Remember there are other coronaviruses besides COVID-19 and many other common cold viruses than can cause myocardial. Typically it resolves without therapy but you can treat with steroids or immunoglobulin with unclear efficacy. 

Whoever posted about a pacemaker is 100% wrong. 

Abnormal heart rhythms can occur with inflammation of the heart but are almost never treated with a pacemaker. Almost always self limited and resolves when the inflammation resolves. 

Weakening of the pump called cardiomyopathy is the complication most feared.  Though typically self limited it can be permanent even with treatment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

I got this in my youth from a bad strep case.  He should bounce back with rest and medication.  

I’m gathering that’s why mcdermott expects him back next season. But that they don’t want to rush him back this year due to time frame on monitoring the inflammation levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 298Woody said:

It's a shame because I thought he would be our starting TE by the end of this season. Knox has stone hands and makes bonehead plays too often. Sweeney is much better receiver but not sure of his blocking yet.

He had a reputation as being primarily used as a blocking TE in college.   That said I *think* he still had more receptions and yards than Knox.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m gathering that’s why mcdermott expects him back next season. But that they don’t want to rush him back this year due to time frame on monitoring the inflammation levels. 

mayoclinic google hit says even in mild cases to avoid competitive sports 3-6 months. So I think you are correct. 

Man covid is nasty. Good thing they have the cardiologist clearance as part of the protocol. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

While overwhelmingly most previously healthy people recover well from myocarditis, it's not just a "monitoring" thing, it's a real impact on physical capabilities for a top athlete - not just "something to monitor".  You may be aware of that, just clarifying.

The usual timeframe recommended for recover (during which physical exertion is limited) is 3 months.