Chris Simms on Bills-Patriots

59 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

How about this narrative: "Bills were in a tough divisional game against a motivated divisional rival fighting hard for a hope of saving their season, when the Bills D came up up with fantastic game-winning play when it mattered most"?

And Jerry Hughes interecpted a batted pass last week.

The defense was shredded as NE moved the ball effortlessly the second half and an unfortunate fumble cost them a chance to tie or win the game.

Yes the Bills won and no style points, but boy wouldn't it have been nice if the Bills actually took care of business and beat them convicingly as they should have on paper????

If it was not NE, the spread for a 5-2 team vs an injury decimated weak, reeling 2-4 team would have been 6.5 minimum. 

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

The defense shouldn’t get any props. If it wasn’t for a miracle forced fumble the Patriots would have won that game

What about the miracle dropped TD? Or the miracle interception that happened because of a miscommunication? Or are those not miracles for some reason?

Ok, I totally understand wanting national media attention and accolades, but can we not be happy about being 6-2 at the halfway point?

I mean, the Titans were getting some serious props after beating us and playing the Steelers tight, and now they blow one against the Bengals. 

C'mon Bills fans! Not long ago we had the longest active playoff drought streak and now we are complaining about beating the Pats and having a lead in the division and standing 4-0 in division play. 

11 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Correct

The interception and dropped TD are a minimum 7 point swing in the final score. If that happens the Patriots wouldn't have even had a chance to win on the final drive. Why do you choose to ignore those while claiming a forced  fumble is a miracle?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The interception and dropped TD are a minimum 7 point swing in the final score. If that happens the Patriots wouldn't have even had a chance to win on the final drive. Why do you choose to ignore those while claiming a forced  fumble is a miracle?

Because of the timing of the fumble

I wonder if Tampa Bay fans are bemoaning their lack of a quality win against the one win Giants last night?  I mean TB has been talked about as being the best team in the NFC and a favorite from that conference to go to the Super Bowl.

So this morning are the national talking heads asking what's wrong with Tampa Bay?  Are they second guessing the Bucs?  Are Tampa Bay fans out on the ledge ready to jump because their team was lucky to get out of NY with a win? I mean by any measure the Giants are a worse team then NE.

24 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I wonder if Tampa Bay fans are bemoaning their lack of a quality win against the one win Giants last night?  I mean TB has been talked about as being the best team in the NFC and a favorite from that conference to go to the Super Bowl.

So this morning are the national talking heads asking what's wrong with Tampa Bay?  Are they second guessing the Bucs?  Are Tampa Bay fans out on the ledge ready to jump because their team was lucky to get out of NY with a win? I mean by any measure the Giants are a worse team then NE.

I'm sure they are concerned.  However too they have the sewcond best point differential in the NFL +82, vs. the Bills -1.  

Sunday night will be their litmus test (rematch with NO). 

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

The defense shouldn’t get any props. If it wasn’t for a miracle forced fumble the Patriots would have won that game

there was no miracle about it.  the bills defense finally made a play.  zimmer went for the ball and it came out.  

if any other team did it, we would see it as good defense.  since the bills did it, it was a miracle.

3 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

The sad reality is that the (2-5) Patriots lost this game vs the Bills winning it which is what Simms and other talking heads have pointed out.

I rewatched the game and analyzed the game film and still can't believe how bad Allen and the defense looked against a roster loaded with fringe players and 3rd string talent.

This is the second game this year where the Bills have won on sheer luck in the final minutes (Rams 4th down ghost pass interference call) but it is what it is.

again, it wasn't luck.  the bills made a play.  it's ok to admit that.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

there was no miracle about it.  the bills defense finally made a play.  zimmer went for the ball and it came out.  

if any other team did it, we would see it as good defense.  since the bills did it, it was a miracle.

again, it wasn't luck.  the bills made a play.  it's ok to admit that.

You guys take everything too literal. As a Bills fan, we’ve seen that happen all too many times before. We have a lead til the end and then the other team comes right down the field and scores with little to no time left to win the game. Too many times. Maybe “miracle” is a strong word, but I’m still in disbelief that it happened. 

4 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You guys take everything too literal. As a Bills fan, we’ve seen that happen all too many times before. We have a lead til the end and then the other team comes right down the field and scores with little to no time left to win the game. Too many times. Maybe “miracle” is a strong word, but I’m still in disbelief that it happened. 

i get it, but i think too many bills fans have the old style of thinking, which is not shocking considering the last 20 years or so.  the old bills would have lost the game.  the new bills didn't.  it's ok to recognize that, and not see this as some kind of empty win.

it's amazing how some bills fans are so scared of winning.  there's always this attitude that things will just collapse.  so far with this staff, that hasn't happened.

12 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

The sad reality is that the (2-5) Patriots lost this game vs the Bills winning it which is what Simms and other talking heads have pointed out.

I don't spend much time watching "talking heads", but FWIW I did not hear Simm (who knows football) pointing out where "the Patriots lost this game vs the Bills winning it".

Would you mind linking the video and pointing out the time where he says that, or what you interpret that way?

Otherwise one might be forced to conclude that you're twisting what's said to suit your point.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i get it, but i think too many bills fans have the old style of thinking, which is not shocking considering the last 20 years or so.  the old bills would have lost the game.  the new bills didn't.  it's ok to recognize that, and not see this as some kind of empty win.

it's amazing how some bills fans are so scared of winning.  there's always this attitude that things will just collapse.  so far with this staff, that hasn't happened.

Well this year hasn’t been all that different. After week 4 we were mentioned in the same breath as all the elite teams and josh Allen was a MVP candidate. Then they laid a couple of eggs on National TV, Kept the score a little too close against a very bad Jets team, and then had to rely on huge defensive play at the very end of the game against the Pats. Definitely not an empty win but I just want the real Buffalo Bills to stand up. I need to get put on Zoloft or something for my anxiety 

23 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I rewatched the game and analyzed the game film and still can't believe how bad Allen and the defense looked against a roster loaded with fringe players and 3rd string talent.

Former arena and NFL QB and QB coach Jim Kubiak watched and analyzed the game film and had this to say:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-bills-qb-josh-allen-figured-out-patriots-amoeba-defense/article_1bb4c490-1d5d-11eb-ac9a-3f927b40a7e6.html

Allen played with patience, command and the intelligence of a veteran quarterback who knows how to win. He completed 11 of 18 attempts (61.1%) for 154 yards with one interception and one rushing touchdown. The beauty of his performance, though, was not necessarily seen in what he “did,” but rather in the mistakes he did not make and the blunders he cagily avoided.

Allen played as close to a perfect game as he could have, achieving a 100% performance grade in the first, third and fourth quarters.

Don’t be fooled by the lower totals among Allen’s passing statistics. His effort and near-flawless execution was a testament to how much he has developed his operational skills from previous Patriots performances.

Who to believe....decisions decisions....HA!  Just kidding, it's Kubiak >>>>>>>>> guy with a self proclaimed "High Football IQ" whose posts don't jibe

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Well this year hasn’t been all that different. After week 4 we were mentioned in the same breath as all the elite teams and josh Allen was a MVP candidate. Then they laid a couple of eggs on National TV, Kept the score a little too close against a very bad Jets team, and then had to rely on huge defensive play at the very end of the game against the Pats. Definitely not an empty win but I just want the real Buffalo Bills to stand up. I need to get put on Zoloft or something for my anxiety 

sure it is.  the bills are 6-2 and in the lead for the division.  it's very different.  there's a lot to fix, but it's ok to see the success that's happened...so far.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice find, Hapless.

Isn't it obvious progress that Allen did not try to play hero ball and give the game to the Pats? He showed discipline, stayed with the gameplan set out by the coaching staff, and avoided the mental errors that cost us the first NE game last year.

And yes, I'm an Allen fanboy, and no, I do not blame him for the interception on the throw to Diggs. I'll double down and say he was robbed of a touchdown that hit the (so far) reliable Gabe Davis right in the hands.

It seems some people would have been happier if the Bills lost. I think we're conflating a bit of success with what Pats fans have been used to for two decades. As much as I love the Bills, they haven't done anything yet. And no, they haven't proven they are an elite team, which is fine. They are good, and have half a season to change that narrative either way. Hopefully it starts this Sunday.

8 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

6-2 is certainly successful, but I think the way the Bills have played the last 4 weeks has lost them credibility with the talking heads, they are back in the wait and see category. Dolphins are a story due to Tua. The media will milk that as much as they can, and they don't care if it is at the expense of the Bills.

we should all be in the wait and see category with the way the bills played.  that's ok.  could improve or continue to get worse.

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

As fans we can be, as personalities in the social media age they need juicy things to discuss on a daily basis. Bills were juicy the first 4 games, not so much the last 4.

Allen needs to get juicy...

are you coming on to me?

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep two bad decisions, but having the ball inside the 20 with 30 seconds to go & a chance to win, tells me he outcoached/schemed McD. 

Nope. Pats lost, and would have won if Belecheck would have made different decisions. He was clearly outcoached by McD. Scoreboard? Yeah, scoreboard. 

1 hour ago, technobot said:

Nice find, Hapless.

Isn't it obvious progress that Allen did not try to play hero ball and give the game to the Pats? He showed discipline, stayed with the gameplan set out by the coaching staff, and avoided the mental errors that cost us the first NE game last year.

I think it's huge progress.   I even think it's progress from the Titans and KC games.  Allen stayed within the game plan.  Jim Kubiak makes some points that I didn't touch on here...about what he calls the "amoeba" defense the Patriots were using.  Wink Martindale does something a bit similar.  They play one down lineman and everyone else standing up.  It's hell on blocking schemes because it's very difficult for the OL to tell who's coming, who's not, and who they're supposed to block.  It's very difficult for the QB to diagnose who

There a couple of telling exchanges in Daboll's Monday presser. (Daboll IMO has the most interesting pressers of the three of them, and it's worth watching the whole thing)

4:45 Someone (not sure who) mentions talking to Josh about watching last year's Patriots games and how it wasn't fun because of all his mistakes.  "Now that you've watched yesterdays game...what were your impressions and where did he show some improvement?"  "Yeah, I thought he did a good job.  He made particular checks out there that were critical at critical times in the game..but everybody chipped in to make that better, too....They're a formidable opponent any time you play them, we just made a few more plays at the end of the game than they did."

7:05 Dan Fetes asks "How proud are you of Josh over these last few games?  He's a guy that likes to be aggressive, wants to throw the ball downfield, he said "Touchdowns first". ...It hasn't been sexy on the stat sheet but how proud are you of the discipline he's shown the last few weeks?"  "I don't know that proud is the word.  I expect that from him.  I see how hard he works in practice, all the meetings that he goes through with Ken and those guys...His job is to try to help us win games, any way he can.  Certainly, QBs love to have 400 yd passing games or 350 yds and 4 touchdowns and not hand it off 38 times.  The thing that you appreciate about the Leader of your football team is that whatever we need to do to win, he's All In for. So...That's what I expect from him."

Yeah, Daboll is proud of Josh.  Josh has come a long way. 

But Daboll has come a long way too.  When he says "everybody chipped in to make that better, too", I think he's talking about himself amoung others, crafting a game plan that Josh could safely execute against the Patriots best efforts to confuse and bemuse him, in the weather that we had, with a team of which Chris Simms (with justification) said "the Bills can't run the football".  Big difference from the Patriots and Eagles games last year.

25 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

So, Tampa Bay sucks too. They beat the giants by 2. 

And that Flag!

• Like (+1) 1