Possibility of 16 playoff teams this year

BillsMafi$

Will it be just for this year because of the virus or will this be a permanent change? I personally would prefer they keep the playoffs the same. 12 teams 6 from each conference. I am also not a fan of a 17 game regular season that they want next year. How does that even work with who gets the extra home game? Just keep it a 16 game season in my meaningless opinion.

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Will it be just for this year because of the virus or will this be a permanent change? I personally would prefer they keep the playoffs the same. 12 teams 6 from each conference. I am also not a fan of a 17 game regular season that they want next year. How does that even work with who gets the extra home game? Just keep it a 16 game season in my meaningless opinion.

It's only in case the season gets cut short.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Similar to what the NHL did when the regular season got cut short. They added those "playoff qualifier" rounds to see who gets in to play in Rd 1 of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Per Chris Mortenson depending on how the rest of the season goes with Covid, they could add another playoff team and no one will get a bye 

Just continue to water the product down.

It was fine the way it was. 

Come and see the 7-9 Cleveland Browns take on the 8-8 Miami Dolphins. 

And later tonight, the 7-9 Detroit Lions go against the 7-9 Carolina Panthers. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Why?

The same reason every other league did the same. You end the season early and teams "in the hunt" complain they got gypped.  This only happens if the season gets shortened by a big Covid outbreak

ONE MORE TIME: This only happens if the season gets shortened by Covid!!

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just continue to water the product down.

It was fine the way it was. 

Come and see the 7-9 Cleveland Browns take on the 8-8 Miami Dolphins. 

And later tonight, the 7-9 Detroit Lions go against the 7-9 Carolina Panthers. 

It's embarrassing enough that the NFCE will have a playoff team. I don't like expanding the playoffs for the same reason you just mentioned.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The same reason every other league did the same. You end the season early and teams "in the hunt" complain they got gypped.  This only happens if the season gets shortened by a big Covid outbreak

ONE MORE TIME: This only happens if the season gets shortened by Covid!!

and games are “canceled” 

imo 

of you can’t control your players from being safe you don’t deserve special circumstances to possibly aid their season 

52 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

and games are “canceled” 

imo 

of you can’t control your players from being safe you don’t deserve special circumstances to possibly aid their season 

What about buffalo vs titans and they cancelled the game and say ftsoa thry missed the playoffs by a half game bring 9-6 vs a 10-6 team they would have broken the tie by winning and using the tiebreaker edge?

52 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

What about buffalo vs titans and they cancelled the game and say ftsoa thry missed the playoffs by a half game bring 9-6 vs a 10-6 team they would have broken the tie by winning and using the tiebreaker edge?

Fair point.

My point was to not give a covid infected team an advantage.  

When it comes to seeding — 

They could just reward the Non Covid infected team .5 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2020 at 10:22 PM, Warcodered said:

Isn't this just in case they cut the regular season short?

That's the rational alright. But if you are cutting the season short it's because too many players caught the covid. Letting half the league into the playoffs makes it more about luck (not catching covid) than being the best team in the league. Plus I's hate the NFL to decide that they like the extra revenues of more playoff games and make it permanent.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:36 AM, Greg S said:

On 11/3/2020 at 8:57 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I get the 8th team per conference is only if they have to add a week 18 or cut games completely but I thought the 7th team per conference was being added this year regardless of the pandemic and would be the norm going forward?

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

I get the 8th team per conference is only if they have to add a week 18 or cut games completely but I thought the 7th team per conference was being added this year regardless of the pandemic and would be the norm going forward?

Correct. The NFL has adopted a 14-team playoff field with only the #1 seed in each conference getting a bye.

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Fair point.

My point was to not give a covid infected team an advantage.  

When it comes to seeding — 

They could just reward the Non Covid infected team .5 games. 

If they fo thst, why not reward all nfl teams 0.5 W if they go to OT thrn winner gets an extra 0.5W.

here is a better scenario to illustrate it...

say standing at th end of year look like this

NE 11-5

BUF 9-6

PIT 11-5

BAL 11-5

TEN 10-5

IND 10-6. Indy has division tie breaker on TEN

KC 13-3

LV 10-6

BUF at TEN game postponed.

buffalo us outside in spot 8.

if they made up the game and buffalo won they would be WC 6 by beating both TEN and LV for tiebreaker in WC seeding.  IND gets division and WC 7 would be decide by TEN vs LV tienreaker

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

If they fo thst, why not reward all nfl teams 0.5 W if they go to OT thrn winner gets an extra 0.5W.

here is a better scenario to illustrate it...

say standing at th end of year look like this

Say this 

The Bills win the division and at worst get the 4th seed.  

On 11/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, Penfield45 said:

NFL clearly has no idea what they are doing this season 

first they threaten to punish teams for breaking covid protocol. then after the titans do exactly that and ruin multiple teams schedules nothing happens to them and they got extra rest and prep times for their games. 

Then by the way the announcers talked about how tough/amazing/inspirational the Titans were during the Bills game, it wouldnt suprise me if that the NFL gave them the memo on some of those talking points leading up to the game LOL

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

That's the rational alright. But if you are cutting the season short it's because too many players caught the covid. Letting half the league into the playoffs makes it more about luck (not catching covid) than being the best team in the league. Plus I's hate the NFL to decide that they like the extra revenues of more playoff games and make it permanent.

For the Titans it was not luck.  Teams should be eliminated from playoffs for flagrant rules violations like which is done in college football.

2 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Then by the way the announcers talked about how tough/amazing/inspirational the Titans were during the Bills game, it wouldnt suprise me if that the NFL gave them the memo on some of those talking points leading up to the game LOL

They did not even mention any of the violations like players having practices off site in violation of rules.

Their head coach certainly learned about cheating when he was coaching in New England.

It's not a horrible contingency plan as I'm sure the #1 seed would have no problem knocking out the #8 seed.  I'd be more for a play in game for the 7th seed but then the 1st seed would have to wait three weeks in between games.  Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

Now everyone gets a star...  pathetic,  jmo.

Go Bills!!!