Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, one consistency we have seen from McBeane is that they have no patience for malcontents....even if they did just sign the guy to an extension.

Exactly.   And I couldn't be happier about it.

3 hours ago, Antonio said:

Wow, something happend that we don´t know yet. 

This offseason he was given a new contract, he started the season as the no. 1 LG for us, then inactive (I don´t buy that injury) and now this.

This.

Reminds me a lot of how the Dareus issue was handled, all behind the scenes and kept close the the vest. Turned out there were very real issues and it made sense to move on, but of course we all kind of want to know what happened - we love the dirty laundry.

This to me is part of the culture change that McBeane is trying to create. One that even if players screw up OR if there are irreconcilable differences, they are not going to go out of their way to leak stories or sour the waters. Players can move on and find another team to play for.

If you think about it, it is a much better and professional lens for the organization going from the way Russ and Whaley ran things. They may as well have employed news paper folks in OBD with how many leaks there were in the ship. It fostered the view of a very unprofessional and Jerry Springer-like organization in chaos.

Either way, I wish Spain well... he was a Buffalo Bill and helped get us into playoff contention last year.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

I liked Spain, but his career is very dubious. Undrafted out of WVU when he clearly had draft able talent. Then has a really nice run with the Titans who have zero interest in re-signing him. Goes to UFA and its crickets for him and he signs a pretty modest deal with us. Resigns here, with pretty much no competition for his services, and now this. Just a really weird run that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. 

Good luck to him. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah i just don't get it.  He's making money.  He can pout, but what if someone gets hurt.  And now we have almost no money to sign a guy off the street because of the dead cap hit this year.  

The dead cap hit is almost identical to the cap hit if we keep him - we get about $250,000.  So no impact on cap.

Per Overthecap, his base salary wasn't fully guaranteed - $1.6 out of $2.25M fully guaranteed. 

Depending on how the contract was written, if he catches on somewhere else, the Bills may get some or all of that back.  He also had $31,250 of per-game Roster bonuses he may not have been getting if inactive, and that we don't have to pay - $312,500.  So $562,500 of savings I think, even if he sits all year.

Is Spain looking to go back to the Titans with Taylor Lewan on season-ending IR?  Yes, yes, I know Lewan is the LT and Q is a guard... but the Titans have Roger Saffold playing LG, who started in the NFL as a LT with the Rams.  Is it possible they might feel moving Saffold to LT and putting Spain next to him would be a better line than starting their swing tackle backup Ty Sambrallo?

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The question is, why release him with Ford out?  Is he refusing to play for the team now and that's why he had to do it now to activate Feliciano?

I'm leaning towards he wanted out and the Bills didn't want a distraction.

22 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

True - he did get hurt last week

We play a different blocking scheme. 

Teller was not a good fit here. 

Teller is more suited for his current team's OL scheme.

Therefore, Teller playing well for another team with a different scheme does not indicate that he would be our best OL playing here in our blocking scheme.

Why is this hard?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The question is, why release him with Ford out?  Is he refusing to play for the team now and that's why he had to do it now to activate Feliciano?

Seems like from the other comments that he kind of checked himself out with a foot injury this week.

On a positive note, I think they really like Ike Boettger. Maybe he’s ready to assume more responsibility.  

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Seems like from the other comments that he kind of checked himself out with a foot injury this week.

On a positive note, I think they really like Ike Boettger. Maybe he’s ready to assume more responsibility.  

They Like Ike?

Capture.JPG

Edited by msw2112

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

are you really that old ?  :) 

but the Kid has been on the team long enough to think he is thought well of

Nope - Ike died before I was born, but I'm fond of the saying.  If Boettger can develop and become a contributor or starter, perhaps the saying will have a rejuvenation among Bills fans!  Note the Bills colors in the button....

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Nope - Ike died before I was born, but I'm fond of the saying.  If Boettger can develop and become a contributor or starter, perhaps the saying will have a rejuvenation among Bills fans!  Note the Bills colors in the button....

Ike is a good name for an OL.

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hope you are right about Boettger...  seems he has been here a while now but never seems good enough to play 

I think Spain is and has been a better guard than Cody Ford has been... Ford was only out there because he was a high pick.. McBeane was ashamed to admit that they blew a high pick on a below average guard, a player they traded up for nonetheless... then they traded Wyatt Teller for a bag of footballs and he’s been an elite guard for the Browns.. 

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I too  like Ike.
now if we start chanting  "Tippy Canoe and Tyler too" at games " i will become concerned

Go Bills

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I hope you are right about Boettger...  seems he has been here a while now but never seems good enough to play 

I think the fact that they kept him over Teller and Spencer Long is meaningful. Also, when they released Ike briefly a couple of years ago, he was quickly scooped up by KC. I think people around the league like his potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not a precedent to set. When the going gets tough, pout about and you'll get released. I know there's two sides and no one really knows what's going on, but how the hell do we release a guy like this after signing a 3 year deal.