Hello, resident Josh Allen "Hater" here to Report

BigDingus

And my professional opinion is Allen is A-OK still 😉

So is Leslie Frazier. So is Brian Daboll. 

Let's look at this situation for what it really is:

1) This is the NFL. Even the best teams have bad games. 

2) This is the NFL. Even great QB's have bad games.

3) We were missing our best CB in White

4) We were missing a key offensive weapon in 1,000+ yard receiver & deep threat John Brown

5) We were missing Matt Milano...someone we desperately need to fortify the LB corps

6) Our DT's have been suspect all year, and as I say each week, Star is missed

7) This might be the most important thing to remember, the Titans are a VERY GOOD TEAM. 

On top of the other inactive players, injured, IR or otherwise, we were going to lose at some point. The Titans made it to the AFC Championship game last year, we were playing on the road (and for the first time, seems the limited crowd noise provided some semblance of home field advantage), and the team wasn't up to the task. TODAY.

Yes, the Titans were limited as well & had less practice time due to COVID, but the NFL is weird. The rest could've done them some good, they had a lot to prove, the Bills could've came in overconfident, etc. Allen made some bone-headed mistakes, but so did others. Dropped passes, inability to cover the middle of the field, and our Achilles heal under McDermott - our poor play & lack of adjustments after half, penalties, poor special teams play (though Bojorquez was nailing his punts), etc. all of which contributed to the results tonight.

Lesson hopefully learned. I don't expect our defense to suddenly play great again until the personnel required has returned, but I also don't foresee Allen resorting back to this type of play after the progress he's made this year. So chin up Bills fans, our schedule is a LOT more difficult than the cake walk we had last year. If we finish 10-6 with this schedule, it's 100 x more impressive than 2019.

/this concludes tonight's Ted Talk

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 25
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Look.. I’m not panicking over one loss, but you can make excuses and have injuries every week...

I doubt this team is going better than 10-6 with the schedule they have and that will probably be good enough for the Division ... 👍

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

The one silver lining in this season is Josh Allen. The drops today including one leading to an int and 7-0 hole were devastating and obv not his fault. He had a couple bad plays Including the other int, but everyone does. 

The dead canary in the coal mine is McDermott’s defense. He’s responsible for that D and the last 3 weeks we played short handed offenses but were still torched. 

This coach can’t adjust. He can’t play chess against another head coach. We have one td in the 3rd qtr and that’s it. What does that tell you?

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Look.. I’m not panicking over one loss, but you can make excuses and have injuries every week...

I doubt this team is going better than 10-6 with the schedule they have and that will probably be good enough for the Division ... 👍

I'm not trying to make excuses, just explaining that this wasn't some season-defining, team-warping loss that fell out of the sky, and that the Titans are a seriously good team. That is all.

Our injuries weren't to insignificant players. They were to some of our absolute best players on the team. The Titans were 1 win away from a Super Bowl appearance last year, only losing to the eventual Super Bowl winners. They're obviously still that same top-tier team. But yes, I agree 10-6 could be the final record for this team. I would like to reiterate that 10-6 this season is far more impressive than 10-6 last season.

Just now, BigDingus said:

I'm not trying to make excuses, just explaining that this wasn't some season-defining, team-warping loss that fell out of the sky, and that the Titans are a seriously good team. That is all.

Our injuries weren't to insignificant players. They were to some of our absolute best players on the team. The Titans were 1 win away from a Super Bowl appearance last year, only losing to the eventual Super Bowl winners. They're obviously still that same top-tier team. But yes, I agree 10-6 could be the final record for this team. I would like to reiterate that 10-6 this season is far more impressive than 10-6 last season.

Sorry but it seems you are making excuses in your first post..

Were  the Titans at full strength?

And you would have to be a fool to think this was going to be a gimme win... I know a lot of people have underestimated the Titans this year and Tannehill but not me..

Let’s not over react one way of the other.. 10-6 this year will be a great result and win the AFC East 

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

And you would have to be a fool to think this was going to be a gimme win... I know a lot of people have underestimated the Titans this year and Tannehill but not me..

Let’s not over react one way of the other.. 10-6 this year will be a great result and win the AFC East 

I can see how it came off that way, but just trying to put a bit in perspective and keep the light shining. Team is far from dead is all.

And yeah, people underestimating the Titans was dumb. But you know when the Bills get a few wins hype gets to 100% fast, coupled with the Titans/COVID coverage, people severely overlooked what could happen tonight.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Of note is the fact that we had one of the easier schedules in the league through our first 4 games, but have the 5th hardest for the remainder of the season, starting tonight with the loss in Nashville.

We also saw the old Josh Allen tonight, not the new one, which means the old one isn't quite dead yet.

It all hinges on New England.  We were blessed that Newton went down when he did.  It will help a lot.

I think this is a really emotional year for the Bills. Allen looks legit and the Pats look really vulnerable. I think that combined with certain worldly events and I think people are more likely to overreact positive or negative.

That is not to say that any critique is an overreaction, Aussie Joe's posts are not overreactions on this thread. The point is I agree with you Dingus and it seems like perspective is hard to come by sometimes.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

The Titans were not at full strength. 

But don't overlook that while the date has been in flux, ever since the Steelers game was postponed 1.5 weeks ago they and their coaches have had nothing to do but watch film, game plan, watch film some more, go for a run in the park and watch out for gopher holes, then game plan some more.  And they've been healing up and getting healthy.

The Bills had reservations about playing a team undergoing a covid outbreak - the players during media availability acknowledged they were thinking about it.  The NFL's dithering not wanting to give up a Thurs nite game forced our coaches to divide their attention and watch film for and prepare for two teams at once.  And of course, we were down 3 (or 4, depending on how you count) starters and had other players playing injured.

In the end, the Bills laid an Egg, but I felt the narrative about the poor hampered Titans was missing part of the story.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Of note is the fact that we had one of the easier schedules in the league through our first 4 games, but have the 5th hardest for the remainder of the season, starting tonight with the loss in Nashville.

We also saw the old Josh Allen tonight, not the new one, which means the old one isn't quite dead yet.

It all hinges on New England.  We were blessed that Newton went down when he did.  It will help a lot.

I would say you saw flashes of both Josh Allens.

I'm not sure what you mean about Newton going down.  He missed a game.  He'll be back for their next game.

When the dust settles, I'm not so sure the Rams, Raiders and even Miami are going to be seen as easy wins.

• Like (+1) 1

I knew this type of game was coming. Now is when we actually find out about Josh and the offense. Titans had a great game plan and took away everything down the field. We now get to see how Josh and Bills offense responds. 

Most top offenses will throw up at least 1 game where they struggle, but they also bounce back. Hopefully that will be the case here. The response is the key. 

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

The one silver lining in this season is Josh Allen. The drops today including one leading to an int and 7-0 hole were devastating and obv not his fault. He had a couple bad plays Including the other int, but everyone does. 

The dead canary in the coal mine is McDermott’s defense. He’s responsible for that D and the last 3 weeks we played short handed offenses but were still torched. 

This coach can’t adjust. He can’t play chess against another head coach. We have one td in the 3rd qtr and that’s it. What does that tell you?

While the deflected INT can't be blamed all on Allen, the bad throw was absolutely a contributing factor. Roberts still should've caught it, but a better pass and he likely does. Both share the blame there.

Agree that Allen is the silver lining, so far.

It seems, though, as if teams have figured out one thing, that they need to play deep and not allow the long balls, that they are going to try to force Josh and the offense to play small-ball, which requires consistency. Today, that consistency just wasn't there. This is how teams will play us, IMO. How will we respond?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

While the deflected INT can't be blamed all on Allen, the bad throw was absolutely a contributing factor. Roberts still should've caught it, but a better pass and he likely does. Both share the blame there.

Agree that Allen is the silver lining, so far.

It seems, though, as if teams have figured out one thing, that they need to play deep and not allow the long balls, that they are going to try to force Josh and the offense to play small-ball, which requires consistency. Today, that consistency just wasn't there. This is how teams will play us, IMO. How will we respond?

you just made me realize we are missing rookie Josh Allen running for 100 yards a game. He should have been taking off to keep them honest 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

“ONE silver lining”? 😳 Mitch Morse is playing better than ever and we paid a Kings ransom for him. Brian Winters has been a great addition. Dawkins has been a rock at LT. Borjorquez (whatever) has been a pleasant surprise. Beasley is enjoying his finest season. Diggs is everything we hoped for and more. We’re playing football amid a pandemic! 

Stop messing with ‘Chemicals’ and get back on your meds.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

“ONE silver lining”? 😳 Mitch Morse is playing better than ever and we paid a Kings ransom for him. Brian Winters has been a great addition. Dawkins has been a rock at LT. Borjorquez (whatever) has been a pleasant surprise. Beasley is enjoying his finest season. Diggs is everything we hoped for and more. We’re playing football amid a pandemic! 

Stop messing with ‘Chemicals’ and get back on your meds.

I meant “from this game” not the whole season. My apologies.

and you’re right. I was drunk and self-medicating but @BigDingus and I didn’t believe Allen had what it takes. Just to have that realization that he does is enough for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

Shady's ***** happens take.   

Too many dropped passes, one into the arms of a defender.  

Josh threw his first real INT last night

Lousy ST's tackling

3 or more False starts

A couple of bad routes and or thrown balls.  

No Beasley plays in the first half.

Needed more Josh planned runs. 

the OP has a point.  The Bills were missing KEY starters and it showed.   Not an excuse a fact. 

Titans jumped off sides at least 2 times with a non call.

Another Over the LOS TD non call to end the game not that it mattered at that time. 

1 hour ago, Chemical said:

I meant “from this game” not the whole season. My apologies.

and you’re right. I was drunk and self-medicating but @BigDingus and I didn’t believe Allen had what it takes. Just to have that realization that he does is enough for me. 

I have a silver lining too. By losing, I can now wash my Chandler#81 jersey. It’s pretty ripe, but it wasn’t gonna be me that jinxed the undefeated start. 

Wife is happy..

• Awesome! (+1) 1