A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

Tough game all around. I remember the Super Bowl Bills teams laying eggs, most notably in prime time.

Im usually really pissed off after a game like this but for some reason I think we bounce back, especially offensively.

Heads were hanging from the get go.

The Titans took away JAs/Dabolls bread and butter cross over routes by flooding both sides. Daboll refused to take what was there from the beginning, which were short throws in the middle zone. Adjustments offensively in the 3rd quarter are lacking.

Josh Allen was very confused at times with what the Titans were showing defensively. Daboll had no answer until it was too late.

His focus wasn’t there tonight.

The blueprint is now out there on how to play this offense, unless the OC can adjust.

This team was not ready to play tonight. Blame McClappy? Did we not game plan properly? Practice?

The penalties sure looked like focus wasn’t there.

Did the fact this game wasn’t a go until Monday a big Reason?

Losing players to injuries hurt but the effect shouldn’t be as dramatic as what happened.

The defense is not very good.

Management, with their arrogance, believes they can plug in average to below average players and continue with quality play.

The “system” isn’t working.This team is in desperate need of better defensive lineman/pass rushers, linebackers and could use another DB.

What was once thought as depth is now a detriment.

Sure looks like they miss Lawson and Star.

Edited by dlonce
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

A series circuit is great when everyone is working together and puts on a great light show.  But when you're totally reliant upon in and one part goes down, the whole thing goes down. 

3 - Allen - While I credit the Titans for running a similar 3 deep coverage and making Allen beat them with small passes downfield, Allen also had quite a bit of time to throw.  The ridiculous amount of drops couldn't have helped his confidence, but that's not something that's really ever shaken him before.  However, come third quarter, you could see that Allen was rattled and making some throws we aren't used to this season.  Not a single throw was attempted more than 20 yards downfield and his interception really was that bad.  I get that Brown was out, who has really become Allen's security blanket, but that's not enough to excuse this offensive performance.

I’ll say Allen had time to throw.  On the TD pass to Yeldon, I replayed it and it was about 9 seconds from when he stopped back pedaling before he threw the ball.

10 - McD/Espenesa - On 3rd and 7, Espenesa jumped Offside on a hard count by Tannehill.  While that was par for the course tonight, the reaction wasn't.  Unless I've missed it, I've never seen McD pull a player off the field for a mistake and it goes to overall show how bad tonight was.  If McClappy and captain positive himself had a moment like that on camera, then that's all you need to know.  I also found it interesting that McD called a timeout when down 35-16 instead of letting the game end.  I take that to mean he's trying to prove a point about not giving up and executing correctly going forward.  However, in giving up two more touchdowns afterwards, I don't think that message landed.  I would love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room and hope the beating is worthy of this performance.  The streak of not getting blown out is also over.

And that was right after Espenesa made a great tackle on a run.   Short leash, rook.

Edited by ColeB

😘. Thought you needed it Virg.  Well written as always.  It was a tough day, and for the first time this year, I didn’t understand a lot of the offensive play calling.  I know not having Brown was tough as he is such a nice deep threat, it would have helped, amd people are underestimating the loss of Milano and Tre.  Tre and Milano would have covered up at least a 1/3 of the conversions they made, and Norman is not meant to be the #1 CB.  If he was opposite Tre, he probably would have covered his zone much better.

If a full compliment, I think they would have converted over more to just power running with Henry.  It was nit a fun loss as we just weren’t really in the game, but as Annie loves to sing, “The Sun will come out tomorrow (well in this case today)”.  For me it was like when I was playing football, and had an old fashioned coach always used to use the old man phrase, “throw some dirt on it ....., and get back out there”.

I can’t get too high, nor too low after games.  Stew on it for a few,  then move on.  We could come out and have a solid game against the Chiefs.  

• Like (+1) 1

I won't pain myself to relook at this to check but there seems to be little creativity in the pass rush - it seemed like it was a straight man against man. With all the holding going on I think that leaves the lineman forced to go wide or inside - Hughes was burned repeatedly going inside. I don't think I saw many stunts, good delays, etc to open lanes up. Even when they show blitz it doesn't seem very complicated to figure it out even for me. Mahomes will eat them alive rolling right unless they come up with a better plan

I'm really curious to see what McD does with Hughes in the upcoming weeks.  He blatantly crashed down and gave up his containment multiple times, finally getting the hook from McD late in the game.  I could see this turning into Hughes' undoing if he isn't contrite about it.  I get the vibe that McDermott will take this defensive meltdown very personally and won't hesitate to tear someone a new a-hole if he needs to.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

6 - Norman - Hailed as one of the defensive heroes last week, Norman was anything but this week.  On the first touchdown of the game, Norman didn't even seem to be aware he was in on the play as he made zero attempt on the ball.  I'm not sure if Angry Runs includes plays called back on penalty, but I'm sure Norman hopes not.  Norman played like a guy who had to settle for a one year deal and missed the first three games. Opposite of Tre and being able to play more zone, I'm sure Norman can be a helpful part of the team, but he wasn't ready for AJ Brown at all today. 

Go Bills

The second Henry demoralized Norman, I turned to my son and said "he just became a meme".  That will definitely be on Angry Runs (although I don't have the heart to watch and verify quite yet) and will be shown in highlight reels the rest of the season, I am sure.  

D is (looks like will be) a concern against good teams moving forward.  If this same d takes the field on monday it will be tough to watch again.  I had hope until early 4th we could still win.  Needed that TD in the first two min of the half.

Knox:  two big potential plays goofed up by Knox 1st half when it looked like he broke in inside instead of out and dropped a high, but catchable ball.  I told my friend this guys does this repeatedly.  Killed two drives when we were still in it.  I know you can point to a lot of plays/players but these two mistakes were big imho.  Then Kroft comes in second half and has two(?) Penalties.

Guess we'll see next week if this was just an off game.  I was long use to the "regular bills" now getting blown out stinks even more.  I know we weren't 100% but no team is.

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but they've been a very poor pass defense too. It doesn't make sense to go away from what's been working for us all year. Especially once the Titans started pulling ahead. I've never seen less urgency from an offense down 3 scores in the 4th quarter. Ultimately it probably wouldn't have mattered but when it does matter they have to do better than that.

On some level I do understand that game plan. I thought early on they were trying to grind the Titans down. But they needed to change it up once it became apparent our defense couldn't stop them. Where was Beasley in the 1st half? It was just a poor game for Daboll and I think he has been outstanding in every other game.

This puzzled me too. Granted this drive did end up with the Bills getting a touchdown, but there appeared to be almost no urgency on that drive.

There was a lot of huddling up, when they should have been going more up tempo.

I was also getting frustrated with Josh Allen's constant hard count in trying to get the Titans to jump Offside. Considering the situation, just snap the damn ball and get going! Let me say that I don't mind Allen using a hard count, just not in that situation.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:12 PM, ganesh said:

sorry.  there was no injury on the  DL and they sucked.  Let us not blame it on injuries.

I disagreed that the "suck" rather they are over pursuing and the gaps usually filled by the LBs are not there.  CBs injuries have hurt the pass defense.